• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gregory Hay

Flem274*

123/5
Chris Martin is not fit to be in the same book as James Franklin. Chris Martin is only thought to be any good because he tries hard, he owns Graeme Smith, and the crowd like to watch him bat. Because we play so many ODIs which Franklin is crap at people think the same of him in tests as well despite the fact in tests he swings the ball more than Martin, he is more consistent than Martin, he actualy has an average under 30 and also, unlike Chris Greentop Bully Martin, he can catch and bat as well.

With regards to ODIs I think we need to stop persisting with Franklin, Gillespie and Martin. Our only good OD bowlers in the current side are Mills, Oram and Vettori. We should recall Mason and Adams and prehaps give Bradley Scott a go as well. True they could fail miserably but its worth a shot especially as Scott and Adams are in good form atm too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would hardly describe Oram as "excellent." He's a good bowler, better than that of Martin, Mason, Gillespie and O'Diren in ODI's but I would reserve the word "excellent" for bowlers of a higher calibre.
TBH I've always (well, all right, not always, but since about 2004) thought Oram had the potential to be a really, really good ODI bowler. He's far more accurate than most people will ever be, he just falls victim, like Stuart Clark, to the fact that on some surfaces people can basically just slog him, and of times he can go to pieces.

Oram > any other NZ ODI seamer now that Bond is no more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBH I've always (well, all right, not always, but since about 2004) thought Oram had the potential to be a really, really good ODI bowler. He's far more accurate than most people will ever be, he just falls victim, like Stuart Clark, to the fact that on some surfaces people can basically just slog him, and of times he can go to pieces.

Oram > any other NZ ODI seamer now that Bond is no more.
Seen Mills bowl much lately?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, and there's no doubt he's bowled far better in the last couple of seasons than he did up to 2004\05. I can't really work-out why TBH, but that's beside the point.

Yes, I think Oram is a better ODI bowler than him. Whether that means he'll do better over the next year or two is probably another matter.

thierry henry

International Coach
Richard, very poor form saying that Oram is better than Mills

Oram has gone downhill as a bowler....I sincerely hope he can continue on in the same vein as he has done for most of his career to date, but injuries have seriously affected the way he bowls. Oram was a makeshift bowler early in his career who went along way towards being a genuine ODI seamer bowling around 135kph, but injuries have seen him revert rather more towards the awkward early-career plodder who huffs and puffs his way through overs of innocuous 125kph deliveries.

Mills has been as good as any new ball bowler in the world for the last 3 years or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well more like 2-and-a-half, but yes, he probably has.

However, 1) it makes no sense to me why he has, having been so woeful for so long beforehand and 2) I still think Oram has more ability. He's bowled far better this season, for mine, than he has at any time since he had all the injury problems.

Obviously, in 2005\06 and 2006\07, Mills was the superior bowler though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well more like 2-and-a-half, but yes, he probably has.

However, 1) it makes no sense to me why he has, having been so woeful for so long beforehand and 2) I still think Oram has more ability. He's bowled far better this season, for mine, than he has at any time since he had all the injury problems.

Obviously, in 2005\06 and 2006\07, Mills was the superior bowler though.
By your standards, Richard, he's fared quite averagely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:huh: He's been poor on plenty of occasions in his career, undoubtedly. He's also been excellent on others.

If he were to retire tomorrow, there's no doubt his career'd be a disappointing one. But as I say - I hope he can do better from this season on than he often has in recent times or than he did early in his career.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Martin is not fit to be in the same book as James Franklin. Chris Martin is only thought to be any good because he tries hard, he owns Graeme Smith, and the crowd like to watch him bat. Because we play so many ODIs which Franklin is crap at people think the same of him in tests as well despite the fact in tests he swings the ball more than Martin, he is more consistent than Martin, he actualy has an average under 30 and also, unlike Chris Greentop Bully Martin, he can catch and bat as well.

With regards to ODIs I think we need to stop persisting with Franklin, Gillespie and Martin. Our only good OD bowlers in the current side are Mills, Oram and Vettori. We should recall Mason and Adams and prehaps give Bradley Scott a go as well. True they could fail miserably but its worth a shot especially as Scott and Adams are in good form atm too.
Bang on the money. I agree with just about all of that.