• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee - Future Australian Captain?

Matt79

Global Moderator
With all the fiasco surrounding Australia's spirit of cricket and the Australian captaincy, I couldn't help but think of Brett Lee being a brilliant ambassador for Australian Cricket. He plays the game really hard, but the man is always fair.

All the talk is around Michael Clarke taking over the captaincy when Ricky Ponting decides to give up the game, but nobody has really considered Brett Lee for the role. He meets a lot of 'off field' criteria that a good captain should have.

He's by all accounts a nice bloke, has a media friendly image, works harder than anybody out there and is well liked by the international community. He seems to be a really intelligent cricketer too, in the way that he has come back and re assessed his bowling from about 2 years ago.

Seeing Anil Kumble, another bowler at 37 captaining India so well and with Brett Lee only being 30, would he be a logical choice at around 32 - 33 years of age to captain Australia if he is fit and bowling well? Courtney Walsh and Waqar Younis are other fast bowlers also captained their sides with reasonably good results.

Would love to hear some comments on this.
Fiasco? Storm in a teacup more like. I think Ponting is more responsive about this stuff than people give him credit for. I guess the question is how often does negative comment actually penetrate the bubble the team is in? I think Ponting is much more concerned about "the spirit of the game" than Steve Waugh, for instance, and the Australian team's behaviour has improved noticeably since Ponting took over from Waugh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with Jono - singing a bollywood track should be a pre-requisite for the Australian Test captain. I love Lee - can't stand Clarke.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If it cut down on his ****e celebs for something more befitting the Australian captain then I'm all for it.

More seriously tho, I think Fred showed that there's more to being the captain than being a good bloke with a big heart. I'd let Lee concentrate on running in and taking wickets myself.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it cut down on his ****e celebs for something more befitting the Australian captain then I'm all for it.

More seriously tho, I think Fred showed that there's more to being the captain than being a good bloke with a big heart. I'd let Lee concentrate on running in and taking wickets myself.
Well, he could be the drug lord in a Bollywood feature film - where he seduces a 75 year old Asha Bhosle to get back at a cop who happens to be her grandson.

He'd be a shoo-in for the captaincy then tbh. In any case, how easy is it to annoy Lee? I would just tell my slip cordon start singing his bollywood song as a chorus everytime he is at the crease. It would be hilarious.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Why does everything think clarke would be a great captain when the guy is just a kid and doesnt seem like a mature man. All Australian captains have been real men and clarke is just a metrosexual little punk.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why does everything think clarke would be a great captain when the guy is just a kid and doesnt seem like a mature man. All Australian captains have been real men and clarke is just a metrosexual little punk.
You've put it rather more forthrightly than I would have, but there is a kernel of truth in your post. I personally think it's largely his (relative) youth and the fact he's a guaranteed pick rather than any particular personal qualities that leads folk to assume Clarke will be the one to step up when Punter goes. If Hussey were 5 or 6 years younger I reckon he'd be the anointed one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does everyone assume Clarke is just a metrosexual little punk and an immature man?

Is there any real evidence to support this, or is it just cosmetics and aesthetics leading to automatic conclusions?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ponting has acknowledged that Clarke has some pretty worthwhile tactical input on the field, especially for a young bloke. I think (but cannot say for sure) he's capatined at U19 level as well.

With a lot of the other contenders being close in age to the incumbent, it's probably understandable they are lookiing at him as a long term option.

howardj

International Coach
I don't think Ponting is a mature guy.

In terms of maturity, he pales alongside Border, Taylor and Waugh.

He's more of a boy in a man's body.

Burgey

I don't think Ponting is a mature guy.

In terms of maturity, he pales alongside Border, Taylor and Waugh.

He's more of a boy in a man's body.
It's his name I tell you. If you're called "Ricky" then you're gonna be a man-child.
Which is why he flirted with the idea of being "Rick" imo.

Top_Cat

I think Ponting has acknowledged that Clarke has some pretty worthwhile tactical input on the field, especially for a young bloke. I think (but cannot say for sure) he's capatined at U19 level as well.
U19 World Cup but that's all.

I think it's a done deal, to be honest. He was given the job in the 20/20 so the selectors have obviously showed their intentions.