• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India have the best batting line-up?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
The words of Anil Kumble after. Thoughts?

Sehwag v Hayden
Jaffer v Jaques
Dravid v Ponting
Tendulkar v Hussey
Ganguly v Clarke
Laxman v Symonds
Dhoni v Gilchrist

Matt79

Global Moderator
In Perth they did. So far this series:
Hayden's been the best opener, Sehwag and Jaques have been average and Jaffer (and being harsh on a bloke who's played two innings and was unlucky in one of them) Rogers poor. Australia has had better openers, apart from when Hayden was out.

Dravid's performance in Perth means he's had a better series than Ponting. India.

Tendulkar has been better than Hussey, but they've both been quite good. India.

Clarke has been better than Ganguly, just, IMO. Australia.

Laxman and Symonds have had similarly impressive results, although views with vary as to how deserved that situation is :ph34r:. Yuvraj was very average. Tie.

Dhoni and Gilly have been equally average. Tie.

Australia has been slightly better when Hayden has been in the team, and Symonds has enjoyed his luck.

Neither of those things were true in Perth and it showed. I'd back Ponting to make more runs than Dravid , and Clarke to make more runs than Ganguly in Adelaide however.

adharcric

International Coach
Australia's still better overall. On paper, with everyone at their best, India's close. In reality, Australia easily.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Australia's easily for mine. Openers no question and the middle order has been on fire since the 2005 Ashes. Making 500+ run innings at will, it seems.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni and Gilly have been equally average. Tie.
Mate, no-one would say Gillie has had a decent series but he's clearly been better than Dhoni with the bat. The averages haven't been hugely different (22 vs 17) but Gillie has looked far more likely to score runs and has one 50 at least! :D

Stu274

Cricket Spectator
If you ask the Indian team they will tell you they are the best team to ever walk the earth.
Gees they win one game & they claim to have knocked Australia off the #1 spot the way they are carrying on.
Pfft try winning a couple of games in a row then you might start to build confidence but I think your a bit ahead of yourself Anal.
Ever tried winning 16 in a row? Pfft they wouldnt even dream of it....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia's still is better, but not by much.

In Perth India's was better. That's how much difference Hayden makes really.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If you ask the Indian team they will tell you they are the best team to ever walk the earth.
Gees they win one game & they claim to have knocked Australia off the #1 spot the way they are carrying on.
Pfft try winning a couple of games in a row then you might start to build confidence but I think your a bit ahead of yourself Anal.
Ever tried winning 16 in a row? Pfft they wouldnt even dream of it....
Haha, bitter much mate?

Anal, wow that's funny. They haven't claimed to knock Australia off #1 either btw. Nothing of the sort.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Man for man, we have this perspective, but match for match, it's a whole new story.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hate apple for apple comparisons. They don't prove much. Looking at the top 6 or 7 as a whole is the best way to do this rather than comparing players with their opposite, otherwise you could get a situation like this...

1357 > 1
3 < 6
1 < 2

Which would suggest that the numbers on the right as a whole are greater than those on the left. They aren't.

As a whole, I think India have the better top 6, if only marginally, but Australia would take it if you go down to 7 and include Gilchrist and Dhoni.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Indian batting looks good on paper, but if you think about it, they seem to have the worst batting line-up when it comes to playing under pressure, I'd even rank their batting below SL and England.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Would like to believe that they do. But the chopping and changing clearly indicates a problem or two, because of which India needs to be a bit more modest in it's claims. We only know for sure that we'd like Tendulkar at 4, Ganguly at 5 and Dhoni at 7. All other numbers have been shuffled this series, and still may be once more at Adelaide.

Only point I'd go out on a limb is for Laxman > Symonds in test cricket batting (and perhaps also as a part time finger spinner :ph34r: ), does not matter how many statistics you can throw in my face.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indian batting looks good on paper, but if you think about it, they seem to have the worst batting line-up when it comes to playing under pressure, I'd even rank their batting below SL and England.
Hey man, what happened to your sig talking about an Australian whitewash of India? I hope no one hacked you and changed it. Gotta have good internet security.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Australia easily.

On form:
Hayden > Sehwag
Jacques > Opener of The Day
Ponting > Dravid
Hussey > Tendulkar
Clarke > Ganguly
Symonds < Laxman
Gilchrist > Dhoni

That's 6/7. It's not really close.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On form Hussey above Tendulkar, despite Tendulkar scoring more runs than him? Against a better attack?

Interesting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On form Hussey above Tendulkar, despite Tendulkar scoring more runs than him? Against a better attack?

Interesting.
I don't think he based it on form though. The thread title doesn't say anything about form. Personally I think Tendulkar is a better batsman than Hussey (and I think Ganguly is better than Clarke at this stage, too..) but there's no indication at all to suggest SS was picking his team on form.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Interesting.
i don't think he based it on form though. The thread title doesn't say anything about form. Personally I think Tendulkar is a better batsman than Hussey (and I think Ganguly is better than Clarke at this stage, too..) but there's no indication at all to suggest SS was picking his team on form.
I was picking on form actually. :p

I don't think three Test matches is a large enough body to judge. I am looking at the past 2-3 years. Obviously, if this continues over the next year or so (which I doubt), then I'll change my mind.

Right now, I would still have the Aussie lineup unchanged (with the exception of Symonds) over the Indian one, at every position.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
i don't think he based it on form though. The thread title doesn't say anything about form. Personally I think Tendulkar is a better batsman than Hussey (and I think Ganguly is better than Clarke at this stage, too..) but there's no indication at all to suggest SS was picking his team on form.
Other than the bolding of the words "on form" of course in his post.