• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India have the best batting line-up?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And that's why this man is such a legend.

He's not the player he once was, and yet after 16+ years of gruelling cricket, he's scored 327 runs @ 65.40 with one century and two fifties.

What would Sachin in his pomp be doing then :happy:
It would've been a massacare

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
he's scored 327 runs @ 65.40 with one century and two fifties.

What would Sachin in his pomp be doing then :happy:
I know that is just a random last line from you but I am not sure that he would necessarily do better back then compared to now. He plays far fewer riskier shots today, has a more dynamic variety of shots in his armoury for each delivery choosing to employ the stroke depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or Hayden if he tons up big in Adelaide. Missed a test but his contributions in the 1st 2 wree immense.

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you had to pick a World XI, Australia would have 3 players who would be walk up starts, Ponting, Hayden and Gilchrist with Hussey being not far away. India's only obvious inclusion would be Tendulker. So for mine Australia has the best line up by far.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why would Gilchrist be a walk-up start considering the fact that he's averaged less than 30 with the bat since the Ashes?

Hussey is far more of a walk-up start I reckon.

You could very easily either chuck the gloves to Sanga, or seriously think about playing Boucher.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Why would Gilchrist be a walk-up start considering the fact that he's averaged less than 30 with the bat since the Ashes?

Hussey is far more of a walk-up start I reckon.

You could very easily either chuck the gloves to Sanga, or seriously think about playing Boucher.
Hayden Hussey Ponting Brett Lee and possibly Stuart Clark would be Australias representatives in a world XI for mine.
Gilly as good as he is isnt close right now ;)

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Gilly is the best wicket keeper batsman in the world today with out question. Boucher is a close second and I am loathe to mention Sangakarra in the same sentence as Gilchrist because he just doesn't rate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gilly is the best wicket keeper batsman in the world today with out question. Boucher is a close second and I am loathe to mention Sangakarra in the same sentence as Gilchrist because he just doesn't rate.
What? If you're referring to the fact that Sanga doesn't keep nowadays in tests, then fine.

But Sanga wipes the floor clean with Gilly when it comes to test batting at the moment. Gilly's not even close.

pasag

RTDAS
What? If you're referring to the fact that Sanga doesn't keep nowadays in tests, then fine.

But Sanga wipes the floor clean with Gilly when it comes to test batting at the moment. Gilly's not even close.
Yeah, besides Kallies, no one is close at the moment (past six months).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Since we're talking of India's batting lineup, I wonder, why, oh why, do they change their opening combination so often? We've seen an opener dropped after one bad match, or two bad matches, we've seen all three openers in the frontline in every series, and horror of horrors, wicketkeepers still open the innings. The end result is a collective failure. Why does this nonsense still continue? The best Test team in action has a settled opening partnership, and so do many challengers for the top spot. Why not the Indians?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The words of Anil Kumble after. Thoughts?

Sehwag v Hayden
Jaffer v Jaques
Dravid v Ponting
Tendulkar v Hussey
Ganguly v Clarke
Laxman v Symonds
Dhoni v Gilchrist
Its not just individual players and stacking them up against each other that matters, its the whole unit and how it stands up in its entirety.

India can never have the tag of the best batting line up attached to them with no two 'settled' openers (remember I did not even say good openers). The best batting sides will have a good pair coming up front. Without that the side is too vulnerable.