cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Which spin at international level works best?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Off spin

5 20.00%
  • Leg spin

14 56.00%
  • Faster but with less turn

1 4.00%
  • slower but with more turn

5 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which spin works?

Cricket Spectator

which spin works?

Which spin at international level works best?

In before the terminology nazis correct it to say finger-spin and wrist-spin, before Richard has gets into a tizz about the futility of finger-spin on non-conducive pitches, and people start arguing about whether Murali is a finger or wrist spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Neither and both.

Differs on each pitch.

The media spin I guess.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, it's more accurate to characterize it as wrist-spin and finger-spin, as wrist spin gives you more variation is more dangerous while finger-spin is pretty much futile on non-conducive pitches, as most of the cricketers in the past can tell you (there is a reason why guys like Benaud make a point to specify that they only considered wrist spinners for their all time XI). There have been a few exceptions of course, but not Murali, since he is a wrist spinner, but there haven't been many.

How was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I'd like some carefully selected links to match records from Cricinfo to really convince me however...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Why'd you need match records? Find me some Tests in the post-covered-pitches era (1970 in England, not sure when it was elsewhere) where fingerspinners have taken a bag which haven't turned all the way through.

It's no coincidence that England's last great in a huge line of fingerspinners (mostly left-arm) was Derek Underwood in 1972. Thereafter, Underwood and everyone else tried since him have been almost totally ineffective in home Tests, and have mostly ended-up being written-off as "defensive bowlers" because they can't be attacking ones.

Australia, where pitches started being covered in the 1950s-ish, haven't had a fingerspinner of note since then, apart from Ashley Mallett for a short time. And even the two they had 1930-1950 were both seamers who sometimes bowled fingerspin (Ironmonger and Johnston).

Fingerspin's time as an art that can be purveyed with success everywhere in The World has passed. And wristspin has always been an art only a tiny select few can bowl to the required standard of accuracy. We've been impossibly fortunate to have two wristspinners who do have that capability at the same time recently, in Warne and Muralitharan - we had the same in the 1930s with Grimmett and O'Reilly. In between times, the only (conventional, at least - Anil Kumble is nominally a wristspinner but he spins it far less than most) wristspinner of serious note was Richie Benaud.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, it's more accurate to characterize it as wrist-spin and finger-spin, as wrist spin gives you more variation is more dangerous while finger-spin is pretty much futile on non-conducive pitches, as most of the cricketers in the past can tell you (there is a reason why guys like Benaud make a point to specify that they only considered wrist spinners for their all time XI). There have been a few exceptions of course, but not Murali, since he is a wrist spinner, but there haven't been many.

How was that?
    Not bad.

Seriously though, I understand the argument viz. wrist-spin. But I think it should be characterised as over the wrist spin when differentiating it from Murali who is more of a round the wrist, or through the wrist, spin merchant. And yes, finger spinners do need some assistance from the surface, as I think does Murali, if not to the same extent as more orthodox off spinners.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well all wristspinners will get more out of a turning pitch than a non-turning (for fingerspinners) one, obviously. But wristspinners (both orthodox ones and Murali) can turn it on virtually anything. They don't need assistance anywhere near as much as fingerspinners do.

Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Not bad.

Seriously though, I understand the argument viz. wrist-spin. But I think it should be characterised as over the wrist spin when differentiating it from Murali who is more of a round the wrist, or through the wrist, spin merchant. And yes, finger spinners do need some assistance from the surface, as I think does Murali, if not to the same extent as more orthodox off spinners.
    Murali is Jesus now?! Come on, he's good but let's not be hasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why'd you need match records? Find me some Tests in the post-covered-pitches era (1970 in England, not sure when it was elsewhere) where fingerspinners have taken a bag which haven't turned all the way through.

It's no coincidence that England's last great in a huge line of fingerspinners (mostly left-arm) was Derek Underwood in 1972. Thereafter, Underwood and everyone else tried since him have been almost totally ineffective in home Tests, and have mostly ended-up being written-off as "defensive bowlers" because they can't be attacking ones.

Australia, where pitches started being covered in the 1950s-ish, haven't had a fingerspinner of note since then, apart from Ashley Mallett for a short time. And even the two they had 1930-1950 were both seamers who sometimes bowled fingerspin (Ironmonger and Johnston).

Fingerspin's time as an art that can be purveyed with success everywhere in The World has passed. And wristspin has always been an art only a tiny select few can bowl to the required standard of accuracy. We've been impossibly fortunate to have two wristspinners who do have that capability at the same time recently, in Warne and Muralitharan - we had the same in the 1930s with Grimmett and O'Reilly. In between times, the only (conventional, at least - Anil Kumble is nominally a wristspinner but he spins it far less than most) wristspinner of serious note was Richie Benaud.
    Pity the sar-chasm joke has become passe...

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Sideways spin works best, imo.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Pity the sar-chasm joke has become passe...
    You kidding? Richard owns property in teh sarchasm. So much so that anyone who falls into it has to pay him rent.

And yes Richard, I know it's a deliberate tactic

top spin?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information