• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which spin works?

Which spin at international level works best?

• Off spin

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Leg spin

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Faster but with less turn

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • slower but with more turn

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
Bill O'Riely and Bagwhat Chandrashekar comes to my mind as wrist spinners.Derek Underwood and Phil Tufnell as finger spinners. Jayanada Warnaweera was also very akward to play because of his pace, but layed too few tests too far apart to get a comparision.
Always heard O'Rielly was more of one to tempt the batsman and buy their wicket that way. Would imply that he looped it up more often. :huh:

pasag

RTDAS
Always heard O'Rielly was more of one to tempt the batsman and buy their wicket that way. Would imply that he looped it up more often. :huh:
From what I've heard and seen not at all:

"Bill was phenomenal bowler, there's nobody one in the world today of that particular type. Bill O'Reilly was a little bit quicker through the air and he didn't flight the ball to the same extent as Clarrie Grimmett did and you didn't have time to go down the pitch to try and drive Bill O'Reilly, he was a little bit too quick for that." - Bradman interview on the Cricket Archive DVD.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, O'Reilly and Kumble certainly seem to have some element of similarity - they were both very tall and both capable of bowling flat deliveries that were almost impossible to go down the wicket to with great success. Look at their actions, there's a degree of similarity.

That said, it's always seemed O'Reilly has more in common with Warne than Kumble. Kumble truly is one of a kind. Underwood used a different technique to produce the same results. What Kumble would have done on uncovered wickets in England when it rained doesn't even bear thinking about. :blink:

Never actually heard a thing about Chandrasekhar style-wise, and only seen 2 or 3 nothing deliveries from him at a poor angle - only thing I know is that he was someone capable of matching his home performances overseas, something Kumble was unable to do until very late in his career. So had kinda presumed he was a sort of slightly lesser version of a Warne or Grimmett, and a slightly better version of MacGill, and a slightly more long-lasting version of Mushtaq Ahmed.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
...what version of Abdul Qadir was he ?

Perhaps a slightly less mysterious version of Qadir ?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Yes, the greatest spinner of all-time bowled leg spin but I have to say off-spin is more effective.

Think about it: As a spinner you want to make the batsman play against the turn, and the off-spinner does exactly this. An off-spinner will always take more wickets than an amatuer leggie, because amateur leggies will tend to bowl short outside-off stump, allowing for easy cut-shots/drives.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the greatest spinner of all-time bowled leg spin but I have to say off-spin is more effective.

Think about it: As a spinner you want to make the batsman play against the turn, and the off-spinner does exactly this. An off-spinner will always take more wickets than an amatuer leggie, because amateur leggies will tend to bowl short outside-off stump, allowing for easy cut-shots/drives.
but a leggie will always produce that jaffa than offies

Engle

State Vice-Captain

Huh ? What do you think would happen if an amateur offie bowled short ?

At the highest levels of the game, I'd want a leggie in my side, for he has the greater variety and wkt-taking ability