• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

Victor Ian

International Coach
You think I'm going to spend all my time digging through old archives?

Lol you kid
I was not after a mining effort. These guys get such tags yet don't have memorable examples that don't involve hard work to present the case.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Can you sell me on the point. Give me a couple of examples of Smith throwing his wicket away and Kallis (he gets the selfish tag often) grinding out his average to the teams detriment. (please)
if he is the best batsman in the team, how is throwing his wicket away an unselfish act?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He must be the most improved, most unexpectedly successful cricketer ever. Started as a legspinner who could bat a bit, and now looks like the second coming of Bradman (at-least when batting against India). Not a stats hog who goes awol in tough times either - a super dependable batsman who delivers under pressure time after time, and dreaded by the opposition. Just too good.
No he ****ing didn't. He was averaging over 50 with the bat in Shield cricket when he debuted in Tests for Australia, him debuting at 8 is because Australia's selectors were idiots.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that Steve Smith is in his mid-career slump (averaging between 7 and 18 runs less than the last three calendar years), what do you think his chances are of being dropped?

:p

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if he is the best batsman in the team, how is throwing his wicket away an unselfish act?
Because, as aforementioned, he often tends to do it:

1) at a time where quick runs are needed and keeping wickets in hand largely irrelevant, or
2) when the game is clearly won

Furball

Evil Scotsman
IDK if it was "selfish", but this was certainly painful to watch, while they were trying for an aggressive declaration:
3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Sydney, Jan 2-6, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
He completely sucked the momentum out of South Africa's chase in the 2007 group game against Australia as well.

Pretty sure he played a dreadful innings in the 2009 T20 semi final as well.

I don't think any of those innings are necessarily selfish, they were just terrible.

akilana

International 12th Man
IDK if it was "selfish", but this was certainly painful to watch, while they were trying for an aggressive declaration:
3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Sydney, Jan 2-6, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
You can see he was playing the role he always played for SA. They had 100 runs lead and lost openers for nothing so he had to stick around while others can play more expansively. He started really really slow and scored the last 35 runs almost run a ball.