• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Weird to think that when Smith first broke into the Australian side he was batting 8 in the T20 side.

Even weirder to think he batted 6 in the Ashes less than a year later.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Standard Australian selection policy:

1. Pick promising media-hyped player, age 18-23.
2. Wait for them to be mercilessly exposed by seasoned internationals.
3. Drop them.
4. Make them fight for their spot in domestic cricket and only pick them again by sheer weight of runs/wickets.
5. Wait for their character-building period to kick in and they start playing with maturity and consistency. Ask them to take their baggy green off eBay.
6. Admire their glittering career. Congratulate self on foresight.
7. Give them ideas/common phrases on the 'toughest period of my life' chapter in their autobiographies: "I learned not to take everyone's advice and just back myself", "Cricket is played 90% between the ears", "I just wanted to feel the baggy green on my head one last time", "(Name of partner) was amazing throughout the whole ordeal", "Trannies at the Bourbon and Beefsteak are frequently underestimated", etc.
8. Rinse; repeat.

References: S. Waugh, Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Lee, Martyn, Lehmann, Kasprowicz, Clarke, Symonds, Watson, Bracken, Katich, Hilfenhaus

In the works: Hughes, Khawaja, Smith, Cummins (currently at stage 2), Pattinson (stage 2), Starc (stage 2)

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

3. Drop them.
4. Make them fight for their spot in domestic cricket and only pick them again by sheer weight of runs/wickets.
5. Wait for their character-building period to kick in and they start playing with maturity and consistency. Ask them to take their baggy green off eBay.
7. Give them ideas/common phrases on the 'toughest period of my life' chapter in their autobiographies: "I learned not to take everyone's advice and just back myself", "Cricket is played 90% between the ears", "I just wanted to feel the baggy green on my head one last time", "(Name of partner) was amazing throughout the whole ordeal", "Trannies at the Bourbon and Beefsteak are frequently underestimated", etc.
8. Rinse; repeat.

References: S. Waugh, Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Lee, Martyn, Lehmann, Kasprowicz, Clarke, Symonds, Watson, Bracken, Katich, Hilfenhaus

In the works: Hughes, Khawaja, Smith, Cummins (currently at stage 2), Pattinson (stage 2), Starc (stage 2)
Love it mate.

indiaholic

International Captain

3. Drop them.
8. Rinse; repeat.

Brilliant!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought it might be worthwhile to bring this thread back.

Smiffy has been in some reasonable form as of late, and I have high hopes for him. In fact, I would like to put it on record here that I said (25/10/2012) that Steven Smith will go on to amass 3000+ test runs and probably bat at 3 for us at some stage. In future I will link this post to those who laughed when I suggested he will someday end up in the 'not-quite-ATG-level-but-still-pretty-good' category.
Haha this whole thread is great.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'll go wherever A tours are scheduled.

To be fair to him, if he was allowed to concentrate on bowling in the longer forms he'd probably become a good leggie. By all accounts he has shown he can turn it in the past. But the advent of T20 and wanting to become a parsimonious all-round option for IPL teams etc has clearly stunted him. Warne benefited from not being in a similar situation.
Damn, they really screwed up by forcing him to focus on his batting and not allowing him to just be a leggie

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn, they really screwed up by forcing him to focus on his batting and not allowing him to just be a leggie
And I suppose wherever you were 5 years ago you were predicting Steve Smith would end up being the best batsmen in the world averaging 60+ after 50 tests.

Reading back through this thread was certainly entertaining, genuinely surprised at some of the posts predicting big things for Smith.....Kudos. Incredible cricket knowledge or Nostradamus insight I'm not sure but well played.

Spikey

dan was like 13 years old when he made this thread right. i wish we could see his original username

TheJediBrah

And I suppose wherever you were 5 years ago you were predicting Steve Smith would end up being the best batsmen in the world averaging 60+ after 50 tests.

Reading back through this thread was certainly entertaining, genuinely surprised at some of the posts predicting big things for Smith.....Kudos. Incredible cricket knowledge or Nostradamus insight I'm not sure but well played.
Classic Adders. It was clearly a joke mate. I'm not seriously having a go at someone for not predicting the future lol

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Indeed. He should aim to make the team based on his batting alone IMO, with his bowling being a handy addition.
I've never been Smith's biggest ever supporter so I'm not going to start claiming him now, but it's weird to think this opinion I held in 2008 was unorthodox enough for me to bother stating.

Zinzan

Thought it might be worthwhile to bring this thread back.

Smiffy has been in some reasonable form as of late, and I have high hopes for him. In fact, I would like to put it on record here that I said (25/10/2012) that Steven Smith will go on to amass 3000+ test runs and probably bat at 3 for us at some stage. In future I will link this post to those who laughed when I suggested he will someday end up in the 'not-quite-ATG-level-but-still-pretty-good' category.
Close to genius, only he's very much cruising along at ATG level currently.