• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He's a UK passport holder I think, so would expect him to pick up a county gig this year or next. IIRC he's played a few second XI games for a county (can't remember which) already.
Smith has played second team cricket for both Kent and Surrey. The latter would love to have him back, he did pretty well for Surrey in his short time with the club and excelled with the bat down the order.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
*Brings back thread from almost 2 years ago*

Well Steven Smith has scored his first FC hundred. I definitely think that if he keeps improving at the rate that he is, he will certainly play limited over cricket for Australia in a few years, maybe even tests.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should be a cert for a OD call-up this year, no doubt. Will probably play tests, but for some reasons he just smells of another Cameron White.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've changed my tunes about Steve Smith. Earlier this year I wasn't overly convinced, but now I think he has potential in the shorter formats and there is nothing stopping him really of finding a way into an Australian top 6 in the future.

However his bowling is absolutely rubbish and needs drastic improvement.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not sure if you all venture into the Australian Domestic Thread, but I was fortunate enough to see him at the GABBA today, he scored 102* off 102 balls.

He creamed the QLD attack to all parts, he's particularly hook and pull happy, but I guess that's what happens when QLD bowl so short to him! He's such a powerful player, even his defensive shots raced to cover and mid off. So yeah his batting is quite impressive, he did however get dropped twice, once at around 30 and the second time on 80.

His bowling was woeful, there is no other word for it. Either too short or full. He took 3 catches at second slip also, one of the catches was excellent, the other 2 were pretty routine.

Sylvester

State Captain
Hes got the deliveries to be a successful spinner. His leg break can turn a far bit, his flipper looks decent. Haven't seen him wrongun yet. Jenner said he needed 5 years before he would be ready, he said that last year so hes still got 4 years to go.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hes got the deliveries to be a successful spinner. His leg break can turn a far bit, his flipper looks decent. Haven't seen him wrongun yet. Jenner said he needed 5 years before he would be ready, he said that last year so hes still got 4 years to go.
Jenner in hyping up young leg-spinner? Shock.

I could name 10 leg-spinners since Warne who have received similar praise from Jenner.

I don't believe he will ever rise above part-timer status with his leg-breaks, which is fair enough as his batting holds all the talent.

Sylvester

State Captain
Jenner in hyping up young leg-spinner? Shock.

I could name 10 leg-spinners since Warne who have received similar praise from Jenner.

I don't believe he will ever rise above part-timer status with his leg-breaks, which is fair enough as his batting holds all the talent.
It's not so much the hype but more the time frame he mentioned. He stated Smith won't reach his full potential till about 2012 and that is assuming he keeps working on his bowling. NSW are giving hm lots of bowling chances. If he gets his line and length sorted, then we should get a clearer picture to whether he will be threatening enough.