• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Batting after Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly?

deira

Banned
I was wondering once these three retire from test cricket, Indian batting will surely become really poor. I haven't really seen any new batsmen coming up in Indian line up who can replace these 3.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who knows - it may not be that bad. You haven't seen any new batsmen because there haven't been spots open for them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For all we know, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly might have their shoes completely and ably filled by S Badrinath, Suresh Raina and others.

India have pretty much never been short of batsmen of the highest class.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think one thing that we have seen over time is that, unless you are the West Indies, players are generally replaced by players of similar even if not comparable standards.

There have been numerous 'eras' that have ended with people worried about what will happen usually just to be replaced by a new one..

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
For all we know, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly might have their shoes completely and ably filled by S Badrinath, Suresh Raina and others.

India have pretty much never been short of batsmen of the highest class.
Don't forget Yuvraj Singh, I think he'll end with a good test record, similar to Ganguly's or Laxman's.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think one thing that we have seen over time is that, unless you are the West Indies, players are generally replaced by players of similar even if not comparable standards.

There have been numerous 'eras' that have ended with people worried about what will happen usually just to be replaced by a new one..
Good point Kev, and one which some commentators need to bare in mind after Australia's loss in Perth.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is supposed to be Badrinath who was to carry their mantle. Unfornately politics play a part in the selection process, he is always ignored.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think they'll be "poor", but to suggest you'll replace two all-time greats like Tendulkar and Dravid, and another two very good players like Ganguly and Laxman, and not miss a beat, and not suffer some drop in standard is optomistic to say the least.

Badrinath and Raina and even Yuvraj may all well become very good players, but to suggest they'll be as good as Tendulkar or Dravid is a huge call.

My prediction is that it will still be a very good line up, without being as awesome as it has been.

jeevan

International 12th Man
We never really found any sort of equivalent for Kapil Dev, so it is very possible that someone like Tendulkar will not be replaced in a while.

Dravid too, is comparable to Gavaskar. So there could be a 10 year gap to really replace him.
We'll probably find a Vensarkar equivalent with a bit of luck for the #3 slot in between.

We can hope that someone like Raina or Yuvraj is of Ganguly's calibre.

adharcric

International Coach
I'm confident that we'll find one batsman of Dravid/Tendulkar caliber as well as replacements for Ganguly and Laxman, mainly because I'm that optimistic about our prospects. Guys like Badrinath, Kohli, Pujara, Sharma, Tiwary and Raina (and others that I won't go into) have excelled in (junior and) A-level cricket against stiff competition from other nations in foreign conditions. I've watched a few of these guys and they appear to be technically sound. I'd be surprised if at least a few of this crop don't go on to big things.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
There have really only been maybe 10 guys of Tendulkar's class in the history of cricket, so he'll be very hard to replace...

adharcric

International Coach
Yes he will, but I'm confident that India will have one established batsman of his (or Dravid's) caliber within the next 5-10 years. That's just me.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No chance of that. But if we can get 3-4 guys of Laxman caliber, I'd be very happy. The problem throughout the nineties was that our batting was very subcontinent oriented, except Tendulkar (and Dravid in the later part of the decade). The batsmen that will replace Sachin and Dravid won't be as good (thats a ridiculous expectation adharcric, these are all time batsmen, you can never expect that), but as long as they aren't like Azharuddin (India only scoring), I'd be happy.

adharcric

International Coach
I'll stand by my prediction - one batsman of Dravid's or Tendulkar's (or at least better than Ganguly or Laxman, if you can swallow that) caliber will emerge within the next 5-10 years. You'll all blast me but I'll stand by my belief. Of course, this rests on the selectors picking the right guys.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'll stand by my prediction - one batsman of Dravid's or Tendulkar's (or at least better than Ganguly or Laxman, if you can swallow that) caliber will emerge within the next 5-10 years. You'll all blast me but I'll stand by my belief. Of course, this rests on the selectors picking the right guys.
Well that's certainly reasonale and in fact I'd be pissed if no one came along better than Ganguly - the man averaged only about 40 for most of his Test career.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Badrinath looks eral good. But the talent pool is enormus. They have 1/6th wof the world population to chose from.