• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hopes, Watson or White in Australian ODI side

Who should fill in the all-rounder spot in the ODI side?

• James Hopes (RHB and RMF)

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Shane Watson (RHB and RFM)

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Cameron White (RHB and RLS)

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Combination of any two (please specify)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
The way I see it, our best 12 includes 7 bats, 1 all-rounder (apart from Symonds) and 4 bowlers. All players are capable of doing well in this Australian side and with the upcoming tri-series I think this will be a difficult decision to face come selection time for the Aussie selectors.

I really feel there's only room for one atm...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
White would have to displace one of the incumbent batsmen, which he isn't good enough to do. Given how injury prone Watson is, then it's a fairly straight-forward case as to who of the 3 should be in the side.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
James Hopes.

He's a very good cricketer, never going to be too flashy but he gets the job done and is an adaptable player good for most situations.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Long term I think Watson is far and away the best option of those listed, but at the moment, while he's (still *sigh*) getting himself fit and right for cricket, Hopes is the best choice.

duffer

Hopes has done nothing wrong to have him forced out of the side. Looked quality with the ball against India.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Never rated Hopes with the ball, sorry. Always gave off the very real inkling that he was going to be carted next ball, Indian summer or not. Excellent with the bat, granted, but that's not the ODI team's biggest gap to fill.

Watson's bowling was coming along in leaps and bounds 2005-06. If he stops channelling Bond then he should be our best bowling all-rounder for the next five years.

If he doesn't, though, Symonds will bowl 10 overs a game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson long term, if he can sort his fitness issues out. Otherwise, Hopes does a decent enough job. White is not a bowler. Clarke and Symonds are better options in one day cricket, so he'd need to improve his batting to a standard where he displaced one of the other batsmen. It's not there yet, although I could see it happening eventually.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What does Watson have to do to prove his fitness though? He's already started bowling in FC matches regular. Yeah a full season without injury would be great, but is it really needed to prove his fitness for ODI matches. Considering Symonds has secured the Test spot, his unlikely to be needed to play Test other then maybe a few one off matches in case of injury, over the next couple seasons. He just needs to be fit enough to get through ODI tournments. With Symonds and Clarke in the team and maybe Hopes in the squad, he doesn't need to play every match either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What does Watson have to do to prove his fitness though? His already started bowling in FC matches regular.
He's fit now, but I'd like him to prove he can be fitter for a semi-long period. I'd also like to see him get some form on the board with the bat.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He's fit now, but I'd like him to prove he can be fitter for a semi-long period. I'd also like to see him get some form on the board with the bat.
Considering the lack of form opening options outside Dighton, I would have thought his form with the bat in ODs wouldn't be a problem.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Considering the lack of form opening options outside Dighton, I would have thought his form with the bat in ODs wouldn't be a problem.
If an opener dropped out, he'd obviously be considered. Nothing much wrong with opening with Hayden and Gilchrist at the moment though...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If an opener dropped out, he'd obviously be considered. Nothing much wrong with opening with Hayden and Gilchrist at the moment though...
If Gilchirst is rotated to give Haddin a decent run in Australian side, then you need a backup opening batsmen. Clake and Hopes IMO are a bit of watse opening the batting. The hard thing though is if his just going to be squad player, his better off playing in the domestic competition. Same would apply for Tait though, but he will probably start most matches after the his WC.

Mister Wright

Don't know why this question is being asked tbh. Hopes has done more than what's been asked of him and has not only performed well but contributed to wins.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know why this question is being asked tbh. Hopes has done more than what's been asked of him and has not only performed well but contributed to wins.
Key thing is all he capable of is contributing to wins. White and Watson have the ability to win matches for you off their own bat and maybe bowl with Watson. Whereas Hopes will always be servicable at best. Maybe thats all Australia need right now is servicable all rounder. But long term they will probably have to look at someone else especially when Gilchirst reties.

Mister Wright

Key thing is all he capable of is contributing to wins. White and Watson have the ability to win matches for you off their own bat and maybe bowl with Watson. Whereas Hopes will always be servicable at best. Maybe thats all Australia need right now is servicable all rounder. But long term they will probably have to look at someone else especially when Gilchirst reties.
Yeah, but my point is he's doing more than what is required of him, so why is this question even being asked? He's place in the Australian ODI squad should not be in question.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, but my point is he's doing more than what is required of him, so why is this question even being asked? He's place in the Australian ODI squad should not be in question.
Well, to be fair to Watson, Hopes was only brought in due to injury, and Watson has a better ODI average with both bat and ball (and that's even given the fact that Watson is a much better player now than he was when he started his career).

I don't think Hopes should be dropped now but it's not like he's moved heaven and earth since coming into the side, or even performed better than Watson did when he was playing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopes at the moment. Bowling and batting well enough to contribute. For Watto to even make the ODI side again, he needs big runs because his bowling won't be enough by a long shot.

Mister Wright

Well, to be fair to Watson, Hopes was only brought in due to injury, and Watson has a better ODI average with both bat and ball (and that's even given the fact that Watson is a much better player now than he was when he started his career).

I don't think Hopes should be dropped now but it's not like he's moved heaven and earth since coming into the side, or even performed better than Watson did when he was playing.
That's true. But, Hopes deserves his spot. Would love to see them both in the side tbh.