View Poll Results: Who should fill in the all-rounder spot in the ODI side?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Hopes (RHB and RMF)

15 41.67%
  • Shane Watson (RHB and RFM)

12 33.33%
  • Cameron White (RHB and RLS)

4 11.11%
  • Combination of any two (please specify)

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hopes, Watson or White in Australian ODI side

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar

Hopes, Watson or White in Australian ODI side

The way I see it, our best 12 includes 7 bats, 1 all-rounder (apart from Symonds) and 4 bowlers. All players are capable of doing well in this Australian side and with the upcoming tri-series I think this will be a difficult decision to face come selection time for the Aussie selectors.

I really feel there's only room for one atm...
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    White would have to displace one of the incumbent batsmen, which he isn't good enough to do. Given how injury prone Watson is, then it's a fairly straight-forward case as to who of the 3 should be in the side.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

James Hopes.

He's a very good cricketer, never going to be too flashy but he gets the job done and is an adaptable player good for most situations.

Long term I think Watson is far and away the best option of those listed, but at the moment, while he's (still *sigh*) getting himself fit and right for cricket, Hopes is the best choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Hopes has done nothing wrong to have him forced out of the side. Looked quality with the ball against India.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Never rated Hopes with the ball, sorry. Always gave off the very real inkling that he was going to be carted next ball, Indian summer or not. Excellent with the bat, granted, but that's not the ODI team's biggest gap to fill.

Watson's bowling was coming along in leaps and bounds 2005-06. If he stops channelling Bond then he should be our best bowling all-rounder for the next five years.

If he doesn't, though, Symonds will bowl 10 overs a game.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

James Hopes.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Hopes for sure!
    unofficial member of the official james hopes = shane watson x 6

Watson long term, if he can sort his fitness issues out. Otherwise, Hopes does a decent enough job. White is not a bowler. Clarke and Symonds are better options in one day cricket, so he'd need to improve his batting to a standard where he displaced one of the other batsmen. It's not there yet, although I could see it happening eventually.
    ~ Cribbage

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    What does Watson have to do to prove his fitness though? He's already started bowling in FC matches regular. Yeah a full season without injury would be great, but is it really needed to prove his fitness for ODI matches. Considering Symonds has secured the Test spot, his unlikely to be needed to play Test other then maybe a few one off matches in case of injury, over the next couple seasons. He just needs to be fit enough to get through ODI tournments. With Symonds and Clarke in the team and maybe Hopes in the squad, he doesn't need to play every match either.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    What does Watson have to do to prove his fitness though? His already started bowling in FC matches regular.
    He's fit now, but I'd like him to prove he can be fitter for a semi-long period. I'd also like to see him get some form on the board with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He's fit now, but I'd like him to prove he can be fitter for a semi-long period. I'd also like to see him get some form on the board with the bat.
    Considering the lack of form opening options outside Dighton, I would have thought his form with the bat in ODs wouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Considering the lack of form opening options outside Dighton, I would have thought his form with the bat in ODs wouldn't be a problem.
    If an opener dropped out, he'd obviously be considered. Nothing much wrong with opening with Hayden and Gilchrist at the moment though...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If an opener dropped out, he'd obviously be considered. Nothing much wrong with opening with Hayden and Gilchrist at the moment though...
    If Gilchirst is rotated to give Haddin a decent run in Australian side, then you need a backup opening batsmen. Clake and Hopes IMO are a bit of watse opening the batting. The hard thing though is if his just going to be squad player, his better off playing in the domestic competition. Same would apply for Tait though, but he will probably start most matches after the his WC.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Don't know why this question is being asked tbh. Hopes has done more than what's been asked of him and has not only performed well but contributed to wins.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information