• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashley Noffke

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
It seems to me that with Johnson and Tait the selectors have picked two bowlers whose future value to the side far outweighs the current return.

They seem to have struggled with the basic art of consistency, and while I do not expect them to have the accuracy of Clark, they just seem to be running in and letting go, rather than trying to work out the batsman with some form of plan.

I think Noffke with his many seasons and current excellent form, would be able to more effectively transition to Test level, and perhaps like Clark and Hussey have done, improve his average level of performance even further.

With Lee,Clark using the new ball and Noffke at first change it would form a potent, consistent strike force, that a fourth bowler could mesh with rather than being instantly relied upon.

Do people see it this way or am I undervaluing the short term prospects of having Johnson and Tait in the team?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they will stick with Johnson, at least for the next test anyways. He has the potential to be a very good bowling allrounder for us. I can see some benefit in Noffke replacing Tait in the 12 man squad, but with it unlikely Australia will play 4 quicks in the immediate future, doubt he will get a debut. Definitely should be in the tour group for Pakistan (if they tour) and West Indies.

If an injury were to occur to Lee, Clark or Johnson I'd like to see him be the next one picked.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think they will stick with Johnson, at least for the next test anyways. He has the potential to be a very good bowling allrounder for us. I can see some benefit in Noffke replacing Tait in the 12 man squad, but with it unlikely Australia will play 4 quicks in the immediate future, doubt he will get a debut. Definitely should be in the tour group for Pakistan (if they tour) and West Indies.

If an injury were to occur to Lee, Clark or Johnson I'd like to see him be the next one picked.
That pretty much sums up my thinking on the situation.

Johnson has been pretty good I feel this series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems to me that with Johnson and Tait the selectors have picked two bowlers whose future value to the side far outweighs the current return.
Despite the fact Johnson took four in the first innings at Perth and has rarely failed to take a wicket in any innings he's bowled and when he hasn't, his RPO has been around 2?

They seem to have struggled with the basic art of consistency, and while I do not expect them to have the accuracy of Clark, they just seem to be running in and letting go, rather than trying to work out the batsman with some form of plan.
Tait, yes. Johnson, no way. There is no way his spot should be under threat. I came into this summer thinking his selection was (just) merited but he's been excellent, several wide deliveries at Sydney notwithstanding. He's one or two steps away from being world class, has been threatening all summer and has bowled better than most thought he would. Lacking that one element of luck too (how many times has he tied Dravid in knots?).

Noffke would be a decent replacement but in a Chris Rogers situation; to cover injury. At this stage, no way should Johnson's place be in trouble.

howardj

International Coach
I've seen Noffers once this Summer. It was against the Indians, where he thoroughly outbowled Mitchell Johnson. Should be a shoe in for his second tour of the Windies later this year. In my view he could be a Stuart Clark, mature age-type, revelation on the Test Match scene.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lacking that one element of luck too (how many times has he tied Dravid in knots?).
Bowling no-balls is his own fault. :p

Anyway, I'd agree that there's no way Johnson should be dropped, certainly not for the Fourth Test. I don't really think he's bowled particularly terrifically this summer, but plenty have gone far worse in a debut Test series and given his Qld average this season is, what, nearly 60, you can't escape the feeling that he'll probably do better sometime later.

Obviously, as a non-Australian I hope he doesn't. And IIRR he's still only played something like 20-odd domestic games, so I guess we've never really had a solid demonstration of whether he is or isn't capable, unlike Tait who's played, what, 30 or 40-odd games for SA and averages 25.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
A blend of youth and experience seems to be what they are looking for. You can't have all players aged 30+ which is the only reason why Nofke is ignored.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Certainly Tait's immediate test future is pretty bleak, but I really feel Johnosn has been asked to bowl to a specific plan, namely a dry line outside off - hence the 7-2 fields employed for large parts of his spells. If he's accurate enough to bowl to that field, then he probably can bowl straighter on a consistent basis - he may just not have been asked to do so.

I do, however, think that Clark should take the new ball with Lee atm. His bounce and seam movement will only be exacerbated by the new ball imo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bowling no-balls is his own fault. :p

Anyway, I'd agree that there's no way Johnson should be dropped, certainly not for the Fourth Test. I don't really think he's bowled particularly terrifically this summer, but plenty have gone far worse in a debut Test series and given his Qld average this season is, what, nearly 60, you can't escape the feeling that he'll probably do better sometime later.

Obviously, as a non-Australian I hope he doesn't. And IIRR he's still only played something like 20-odd domestic games, so I guess we've never really had a solid demonstration of whether he is or isn't capable, unlike Tait who's played, what, 30 or 40-odd games for SA and averages 25.
Technically, the series against SL was his debut. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meant "debut season" TBH. I'm counting this and the Sri Lanka series as a whole where Australia's players are concerned. And Johnson's performances have been pretty equal across them - certainly far from outstanding, but also much better than many in their first Test season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A blend of youth and experience seems to be what they are looking for. You can't have all players aged 30+ which is the only reason why Nofke is ignored.
You can have as many players in whatever age-group you want, it just depends on who's the best at the time.

In any case, Noffke's not even turned 31 yet!

Flem274*

123/5
Despite the fact Johnson took four in the first innings at Perth and has rarely failed to take a wicket in any innings he's bowled and when he hasn't, his RPO has been around 2?

Tait, yes. Johnson, no way. There is no way his spot should be under threat. I came into this summer thinking his selection was (just) merited but he's been excellent, several wide deliveries at Sydney notwithstanding. He's one or two steps away from being world class, has been threatening all summer and has bowled better than most thought he would. Lacking that one element of luck too (how many times has he tied Dravid in knots?).

Noffke would be a decent replacement but in a Chris Rogers situation; to cover injury. At this stage, no way should Johnson's place be in trouble.
He most certainly is not. Zaheer Khan and James Franklin > Johnson.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
You would think Noffke may have edged out Hilfenhaus for a place on a test tour. I'm not sure I can see him in an ODI squad, you've got Bracken to slot in there which puts Johnson down in a squad position... and when it comes to picking him as an all-rounder, you've got Watson too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You would think Noffke may have edged out Hilfenhaus for a place on a test tour. I'm not sure I can see him in an ODI squad, you've got Bracken to slot in there which puts Johnson down in a squad position... and when it comes to picking him as an all-rounder, you've got Watson too.
Neither Noffke nor Hilfenhaus have really got compelling cases, have they? Playing international cricket is the last thing Hilfenhaus needs at this point, he's in the worst form of his career. Noffke, meanwhile, has (for some odd reason) only bowled twice in OD cricket this season and while he's done OK (16 overs, 66 runs, 1 wicket) it's hardly compelling. His team-mate Scott Brant, of all people, has done far better.

What's wrong with a bowling squad of Bracken, Hogg, Lee, Johnson, Tait, Hopes(\Watson)?

Josh

International Regular
Nothing wrong with the way Johnson is bowling at the moment. Noffke's "second wind" at the moment, I'd be happy to see him in the next touring party ahead of Hilfenhaus. Doubt he will get in as a replacement of Tait in the eyes of both the selectors and one RT Ponting, but a chance to tour ahead of the likes of Hilfenhaus.

I (unfortunately) can't see Bracken playing test cricket again; it seems they have their minds set that he is a ODI bowler and a ODI bowler ONLY.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Noffke has to be picked in the Australian ODI squad for the coming series. I mean, what more does he have to do?