• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

Flem274*

123/5
Cricket: India leapfrog Australia after Melbourne win
New Zealand's under-19 cricket team were beaten in their two practice matches by Australia under-19 en route to this month's youth World Cup in Malaysia.

The first of the two games in Brisbane was one-sided.

Australia made 237 for seven in 40 overs, with two wickets apiece for Canterbury's Corey Anderson and Anurag Verma from Northern Districts.

New Zealand were dismissed for just 71, of which Otago's Michael Bracewell, nephew of national coach John Bracewell, hit 47.

The second game was closer, Australia winning by 27 runs, after making 263. Again Verma, with two for 31 from nine overs, was the pick of the attack.

Bracewell, with another 47, and Wellington's Harry Boam, with 37, were the pick of the batsmen.

Tim Southee, who impressed for the Black Caps in last week's Twenty20s, will join the under-19 team in Malaysia.

New Zealand have warm-up games against India and Ireland this week before the tournament starts next Sunday
Harry Boam? Who? So is everyone bar Southee over there atm or are there U-19s still in domestic games?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
11 February 2008, Kuala Lumpur: Bangladesh U19 beat Malaysia U19 by 165 runs
Bangladesh U19* 270-8 (50)
- Mithun Ali 81
Malaysia U19 105 (38.5) - Nasir Hossain 3-20, Suhrawadi Shuvo 3-23

11 February 2008, Kuala Lumpur: Ireland U19 beat Papua New Guinea U19 by 2 wickets
Papua New Guinea U19 179 (45.4) - GM McKenna 3-33
Ireland U19* 180-8 (40.5) - JD Hall 70*; CT Amini 3-47

11 February 2008, Kuala Lumpur: India U19 beat New Zealand U19 by 6 runs
India U19 281-9 (50) - SP Goswami 82, RA Jadeja 71; NB Beard 3-44, TG Southee 3-56
New Zealand U19* 275-8 (50) - GH Worker 69, CJ Anderson 56; P Sangwan 4-52

11 February 2008, Kuala Lumpur: England U19 beat Pakistan U19 by 4 wickets
Pakistan U19 217-6 (50) - Umar Amin 67
England U19* 218-6 (50) - BA Godleman 61, JWA Taylor 52

DCC_legend

International Regular
DCC_Legend

Ireland seem to have an outstanding batting line-up for this tournament.

How does the bowling look to you?
I wouldn't call it outstanding tbh, it's good at best. They have an excellent batting depth within the team with many of the talented players being batsmen. The bowling is decent, though if anything, the batting is the strength. Greg Thompson, Shane Getkate and Gavin McKenna would be the main threats for me, but I'm unsure as to how they would compare with teams from the same age group. Obviously the win against PNG will be a boost to them, but they still have things to work on if they're going to replicate what the senior side did at the WC in March.

Ben Stinga

Cricket Spectator
I wouldn't call it outstanding tbh, it's good at best. They have an excellent batting depth within the team with many of the talented players being batsmen. The bowling is decent, though if anything, the batting is the strength. Greg Thompson, Shane Getkate and Gavin McKenna would be the main threats for me, but I'm unsure as to how they would compare with teams from the same age group. Obviously the win against PNG will be a boost to them, but they still have things to work on if they're going to replicate what the senior side did at the WC in March.
Cheers DCC
I kind of had that feeling.
How do you rate Richard Keaveney?

I'm still confident that this team should rack up 250 plus regularly. But will 250 be enough.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Never really seen or heard much of him playing. He plays in the Leinster leagues AFAIK. From what i gather, he's a good player for his age, but nothing outstanding.

Tbh, i doubt that 250 would be a good score for them. That's if they get there. They obviously have the raw talent to get there but it's all about the temperament the players have. Obviously playing here compared to playing in Malaysia will present its different challenges, weather and climate wise and also the wickets. Irish wickets are generally slow and low, so most will have techniques built around that. This, possibly, could present a challange for the batmen, but if they're willing to hang around and get to 220, 250 etc then their technique should improve adapting to the wickets they have in Malaysia.

Ben Stinga

Cricket Spectator
Day 2 Warm-ups

South Africa 107-1 d Namibia 106

Australia 60-0 d Zimbabwe 57

West Indies 177-6 d Sri Lanka 174

Nepal 256-8 d Bermuda 63

Phew! Bermuda! Nervous times ahead! The Americas qualifying region isn't so strong at junior level comapred to Europe, Asia, East Asia Pacific and Africa.

Still, to lose by 188 runs to a fellow associate is scary.:unsure:

sideshowtim

Banned
Wow, we massacred the Zimmers. Good to see Phil Hughes in the runs and Steve Smith in the wickets with 5/21. Great figures.

Beamer

Dwayne Bravo's brother Daren scored 45 not out and took 2/3 with his medium pace to lead the Windies to victory against SL.

The Windies rested star batsman Adrian Barath and captain Shamarh Brooks yet they still won, so that is promising.

Ben Stinga

Cricket Spectator
Day 3 Warm-ups

Pakistan 204-5 d Bangladesh 203

Malaysia 201-7 d PNG 142

India 225-4 d England 219-8

New Zealand 314-9 d Ireland 133

India and Pakistan looking strong. Awful effort from Ireland.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good result for NZ. Usually our U19 sides seem to only just get over the line but they came close against India and they dismissed Ireland easily, so good to see.

brockley

International Captain
Australia certainly smashed zimbabwe,they won't do any good a bunch of no names.
New Zealand shoudl at least make the quarter finals.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Disappointing from Ireland. Paul Stirling showing his class though with a quick 72. Hopefully this isn't the last of him at the WC.

Ben Stinga

Cricket Spectator
Final Day Warm-ups

West Indies 160-5 d Australia 159

Zimbabwe 206-7 d Nepal 205-8

Namibia 224 d Bermuda 122

Sri Lanka 224 d South Africa 201

Beamer

Windies won both warm up matches against quality teams comfortably.

The Aussies crumbled against the spin combo of Brooks and Permaul who have both had FC experience. Are they weak against spin? Certainly looks like it.