Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Under 19 World Cup thread

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Well that is quick. Aamer from what I have seen is high 80s max, Finn about the same, Harris mid 80s, Arnold mid 80s and August I have never seen him but his not reportedly quicker than Arnold.
    Yeah all indications are that he is a real find, but he is not the biggest lad and has a bustling action that must put a lot of stress on his body. He might well pick up a back injury at some point.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    England squad

* Ben Brown (Sussex)
    * Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
    * Steven Finn (Middlesex)
    * Billy Godleman (Middlesex)
    * James Goodman (Kent)
    * James Harris (Glamorgan)
    * James Lee (Yorkshire)
    * Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
    * Sam Northeast (Kent)
    * Daniel Redfern (Derbyshire)
    * James Taylor (Leicestershire)
    * Alex Wakely (Northamptonshire, captain)
    * Tom Westley (Essex)
    * Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    * Greg Wood (Yorkshire)

The likes of Northeast, Godleman, Harris and Finn are pretty well known, what about the others, most of them have played the odd FC/OD game for their counties already.

Good squad. Godleman, Finn and Harris are top talents, who should excel whilst Sam Northeast also has a wonderfully big rep. Believe I've played against James Goodman, or played against a 13 year old kid called James Goodman of then Bromley Common. I think it must be him for he was the only pubescent on the field and was a darn sight better batsman than all of us as well.

England probably has no chance but the side at least unlike previous squads does not have a patch work nature to it. Players have decent first class experience as well and the squad has been slowly developed through the years - a critical aspect which always puts the likes of India and Pakistan above England in youth cricket.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 21-01-2008 at 05:38 PM.

South Africa's Squad...

Captain- Wayne Parnell- Grey High School, Eastern Province
    Roy Adams- Diamantveld HS, Griquas
    Matthew Arnold- St Albans College, Northerns
    Clayton August- New Orleans Secondary, Boland
    Wicket Keeper- Bradley Barnes- Fairbairn College, Western Province
    Daniel Childs- Hermanus High, Boland
    Sybrand Engelbrecht- Affies, Northerns
    Reeza Hendricks- Northern Cape High, Griquas
    Pieter Malan- Hoerskool Waterkloof, Northerns
    Mangaliso Mosehle- Johan Jurgens, Easterns
    Obus Pienaar- Grey College, Free State
    Rilee Rossouw- Grey College, Free State
    JJ Smuts- Graeme College, Eastern Province
    Yaseen Vallie- Cravenby Secondary, Western Province
    Johnathan Vandiar- Durban High School, KwaZulu Natal

Ray Jennings is coach.

The squad chosen is very intriguing in that there is some really talented cricketers but because the side was only put together two weeks ago, CSA are fairly resigned to hoping for a Semi Final defeat at the maximum. Which is a shame for the likes of JJ Smuts and Jonathan Vandiar are hugely talented batsman. Smuts has been described as Graeme College's finest schoolboy cricketer of all-time and is big favourite of Ray White whilst, Vandiar my cousin reports (played against him in schools cricket) has a penchant for smashing ridiculously quick tons (38 balls is his current record). Vandiar also hit a century last week against India's U-19, taking RSA from 6 for 88 to 262 for 9.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/south...ch/317027.html

South Africa's inexperience, especially abroad and lack of decent preparation will cost them but they have at least got a few cricketers for the future.

Saw thatEngland U-19 won their warm up game for the triangular series yesterday against SL. Godleman got 123. Decent start. They'll get hammered tomorrow against Pakistan though.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Pakistan could win it here. I'm supporting the Aussies though.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Saw thatEngland U-19 won their warm up game for the triangular series yesterday against SL. Godleman got 123. Decent start. They'll get hammered tomorrow against Pakistan though.
    Yeah good start as you say but Sri Lanka's U19 do not seem to be the most competitive of sides. Pakistan are likely to beat them by at least 150 plus runs.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srila...ch/328853.html

However, we should be use to the Pakistanis by now and are only real major weakness we had against them last summer was are inability to play against the spinners. The likes of Imad Wasim always seemed to have the knack of drawing the innings to complete standstill and aside from Godleman, the batsman had no real plan of how to deal with spin. If they can overcome that we should expect at least a semi final place.

Anyone know how the wickets in Malaysia are likely to play? And what sort of bowlers should do well?

How strongly is the under 19 age limit enforced? I know for a fact that SA Engelbrecht (who is a good friend of my roommate of last year and probably wouldn't respond if you called him Sybrand) turned 19 last year, so I checked out the squads and there are quite a lot of players over the age of 19. They should be calling it the Under 20 World Cup...

Cricket Spectator

My predictions

Most favorite is at the top

1.India
    2.Pakistan
    3.Bangladesh
    4.Austrelia

India: Probably the best team among all. They beat other teams like SA very easily. They won atleast two tight matches against Ban from very bad possition, showing their strong mentality. Most of their players r good performer at FC lavel. Probably the most talented side along with SA and Pak. Well balanced and strong.

Pakistan: Have good players who performed well at their domestic leagues and beat Sri and Eng easily. Talented as well. But they have problems with their middle orders. Fielding isnt up to the mark as well. But rest of the squad can cover those lacks!! I think they have the most dangerous openning pair on the tournament.

Bangladesh: Surprising team. Another talented team. Beat Pak in Pak 3-2 at a 5 match series, beat Sri on another series by 3-2, beat SA in SA twice, Beat WI under 19 as well. The only lack they have is their in-experience below 17 aged players. Though they have three FC level player. I wont be surprised if they get the cup!!

Austrelia: The most organized and well prepared team. Mentally very strong and technically superb. But, in under 19 level, its not enough to win the cup. The condition will be different for them as well. They wont get the crowd support like other three asian teams avobe. If they can overcome, they can reach the semi-final atleast! Unfortunately, their senior team is my Fav!

I had a bit research on this (as a journalist) and this is the present condition. But, at under 19 lever, u cant predict anything!!
    Last edited by luvaus; 23-01-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    India easily.

I am not 100% sure but I think if you turned 19 after August 31st last year you are eligible for the world cup.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Pretty sure there is 20 year old playing for one the minnow countries. Rules seem to vary from country to country it seems.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

decent win for England over Pakistan today, considering none of the bigger names made much of an impact and from being 5-44 at one point. Obviously doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things but should still give them a bit of confidence. Any idea whether the Pakistan side was close to full strength or a second string side? Was the seamers who did the damage for Pakistan whereas Englands spinners performed pretty well. Apparently the lad Aamer is pretty decent though.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Basically 2nd string Pakistan side it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Basically 2nd string Pakistan side it seems.
    who is expected to come in for the WC for Pakistan? It would seem strange that they play a second string just before the WC...the side against SL was pretty much the same.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information