• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I am not 100% sure but I think if you turned 19 after August 31st last year you are eligible for the world cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure there is 20 year old playing for one the minnow countries. Rules seem to vary from country to country it seems.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
decent win for England over Pakistan today, considering none of the bigger names made much of an impact and from being 5-44 at one point. Obviously doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things but should still give them a bit of confidence. Any idea whether the Pakistan side was close to full strength or a second string side? Was the seamers who did the damage for Pakistan whereas Englands spinners performed pretty well. Apparently the lad Aamer is pretty decent though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
who is expected to come in for the WC for Pakistan? It would seem strange that they play a second string just before the WC...the side against SL was pretty much the same.
They have been rotated one or two of their main players each game to give their depth a chance to stand up. Also there is that new opener playing against Zimbabwe. Pretty sure his only 18 and can play if not tied up with the national team.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its going to be between India and Pakistan again this Under 19 World Cup.

Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, England,West Indies, NZ and SA are probably a few notches below them...

luvaus

Cricket Spectator
Rank from recent performance

These are the rank according to their recent performance:

1.India
2.Bangladesh
3.Pakistan
4.Srilanka
5.Austrelia
6.England
7.WestIndies
8.South Africa

The cup winner should be whithin the top three.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NZ were seeded 9th on the back of past performances. These were ICC ranking going into the World Cup draw.

1. Pakistan
2. India
3. Australia
4. England
5. Bangladesh
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. Zimbabwe
9. New Zealand
10. South Africa

Efaz

U19 12th Man
NZ were seeded 9th on the back of past performances. These were ICC ranking going into the World Cup draw.

1. Pakistan
2. India
3. Australia
4. England
5. Bangladesh
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. Zimbabwe
9. New Zealand
10. South Africa
That's interesting - Nepal is placed 11th in the ranking, behind SA and NZ, even though Nepal had beaten both of those two teams and had won the plate championship in 2006.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That's interesting - Nepal is placed 11th in the ranking, behind SA and NZ, even though Nepal had beaten both of those two teams and had won the plate championship in 2006.
Nepal weren't ranked per say. Asia was just given the number one qualifers spot after past performances of Nepal and co.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

1. Pakistan
2. India
3. Australia
4. England
5. Bangladesh
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. Zimbabwe
9. New Zealand
10. South Africa
I am certain this is not based on recent performances or based on the performances of the current teams but probably the previous teams.

I think at U-19 level apart from the top 2 teams who are really at a level above the rest, the rest are about the same ie on any day , team 9 can beat Team 3.

Also NZ is too far lowly ranked in this and NZ U-19 can easily beat Team 3-10 on any day at their best.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
These are the rank according to their recent performance:

1.India
2.Bangladesh
3.Pakistan
4.Srilanka
5.Austrelia
6.England
7.WestIndies
8.South Africa

The cup winner should be whithin the top three.
I doubt Bangladesh are ahead of Pakistan in the current Team performances and I will be very surprised if any team other than India or Pakistan win this World Cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I am certain this is not based on recent performances or based on the performances of the current teams but probably the previous teams.

I think at U-19 level apart from the top 2 teams who are really at a level above the rest, the rest are about the same ie on any day , team 9 can beat Team 3.

Also NZ is too far lowly ranked in this and NZ U-19 can easily beat Team 3-10 on any day at their best.
Past World Cup performances, not recent matches between sides. So yes past sides not current sides. NZ haven't done anything at Under 19 level though, even in series against other sides. Bangladesh would be a lot higher if it was on the back of regular matches. But have kind of choked at the World Cup recently.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt Bangladesh are ahead of Pakistan in the current Team performances and I will be very surprised if any team other than India or Pakistan win this World Cup.
If it was on recent performances Bangladesh would easierly be in the top 3, you could argue they should be No 1.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Bangladesh had beaten Pakistan 3-2 in an youth ODI series in Nov-Dec, on Pakistan's own home turfs. How is that Bangladesh are not ahead of Pakistan in the current team performance ?

Last edited:

luvaus

Cricket Spectator
Position of Ban & Ind

Though Bangladesh won the one day series against below teams recently:

Against Pakistan and SA in away series
Agianst Srilanka, Nepal and WI in home series

But they were beaten by India heavily (though they have two close matches against the same team) in the final of a tri-series and the experience and age level is very low of this team. Only few of them have first class experiences.

On other hand, Pakistan is very experienced side (along with India, who should be at the number one). Most of their players have First class experience. They r talented but inconsistent. One of their openning batsman is playing for the national side right now!!

Nothing to speak of India, they r beating every side very easily. The only two hardles they might get are against Pakistan and Bangladesh. Most of their players r very compact and have decent record on their first class carrier. They have a coach like Dav Whatmore and atleast 10 quality players who can turn the match for them.

Again, its funny to predict at this level, any thing can happen. I think one of our member Chaminda, has good knowledge on those teams and his comments r more correct than most of others.

I dont think Aus have any chance in this WC at Malay condition.

Nepal is a bit more strong this time than the previous one. They can beat atleast 3 of the top ten side on average matches. ICC's ranking wast fare.

SA and WI have few wonderfully talented players, but they havent played a lot of matches as a team as others did. Still, the strengths of their sides r not better than Ind, Pak, Ban or Srilanka.

Newzealand and England is better team than last one, but its true that they have no chance of winning this WC.

Lolz

Last edited: