• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to India, deserved winners overall. :)

Although, South Africa should be kicking themselves. For if only they decided to use their brains in the first ten overs they would have walked it under D/L. As it was transpired they had to go at a run a ball on a track where no side in the competition (against decent opposition) has achieved such a thing.

Decent effort anyhow considering they were the worst ranked (test) nation in the competition coming into the tournament.

pup11

International Coach
Congrats to the Indian boys, they really did deserve to win the WC, so well played guys.
Anyways the South African U-19 boys also played pretty well through the tournament but like their senior-team, they also choked when it mattered the most.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
You have to watch you dont reward these youngsters too early though. If they have it all so early they may lose the motivation to really push on. I've seen it happen all too often :@

bond21

Banned
i would only expect 1, maybe 2 of every player in all the teams to play at the top level, its a big step.

Brett Lee did, McCullum did(not too hard though for him)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Thought RSA stuffed up bigtime by asking India to bat in the final.

Why on earth would you do that
a) when its a final
b) when you won your previous two games convincingly batting first ?

Flem274*

123/5
i would only expect 1, maybe 2 of every player in all the teams to play at the top level, its a big step.

Brett Lee did, McCullum did(not too hard though for him)
Yeah only Adam Parore, arguably our best keeper ever, to compete with. No challenge at all.

EDIT: To elaborate on your post more, four years ago Taylor and Ryder were at U-19 level, as was Greg hay who will make the step up anytime now, so the U-19 system works, not idea on the numbers of U-19 players playing for other countries but the system works.

I do agree that whole U-19 teams won't make it, the age gap is alot wider in top grade cricket so theres players from many U-19 eras in the sides, but the numbers will vary from country to country, depending on the strength of the recent, current, and near future U-19 sides.

So in essence I've cancelled my argument out.

Last edited: