Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Under 19 World Cup thread

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    I am interested to see how Namibia cope with the big guns consideri9ng they only just edged Kenya out in the final of the qualifiers for this comp
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

I believe this is our best ever U-19 side. Bowling has always been our strong suit but this time it will be batsman who will catch the headlines.

Watch out for Umer Akmal (brother of Kamran), he's nailing run a ball 200's in first class and the lad is just 16.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Star Cricket will be covering the tournament. Really looking forwards to it. India to win imo. I am glad that Whatmore is getting acquainted with the young guys. It not only helps the young players immensely, such allignments form rapports which can last for years. A fair few of India under-19 players go on to play for India and hopefully we will see some from the class of 2008 as well. Hoping that Whatmore will keep himself associated with Indian cricket and goes on to coach the senior side in the future as well. If I were to predict a time, it would be after the 2011 world cup imo.
    Last edited by Pratters; 21-01-2008 at 12:04 PM.

The West Indies under 19 team has some outstanding individuals but are yet to perform as a team (they played in the KFC cup and were bowled out for 18 by Pedro Collins deadly inswingers).

Individuals to look out for:

Adrian Barath (Trinidad & Tobago) - Brian Lara's protege. He is a right handed opening batsman with 2 FC centuries and an average of over 50. He is 17 years old. Lara took him to England during our tour there in May. He is our most promising batting prospect by some distance.

Daren Bravo (Trinidad & Tobago) - Dwayne's 18 year old brother. He has scored heavily in youth and club cricket but is yet to transform that to FC cricket. He is an extremely attractive left handed middle order batsman who has based his technique on a young Brian Lara. Like his brother he is a superb athlete in the field and a useful medium pacer.

Veerasammy Permaul(Guyana) - 18 year old left arm spinner who has already tasted success in FC and List A cricket. He turns the ball a fair amount, flights the ball and has good control. He completely dominated the under 19 tournament 2 years in a row and is a regular in the Guyana senior team.

Jason Dawes (Jamaica) - 18 year old right arm fast bowler who is the fastest bowler to emerge from West Indies under 19 cricket since Jermaine Lawson (only this guy bowls ). He emerged from the KFC cup with a lot of cricket after giving Barbados the hurry up even though they were only chasing 18 runs. He is not the tallest, but he is an athlete and I will be very surprised if there is anyone as quick as him in the tournament.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    No Scotland.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Simon Champion!
    Is pujara still applicable for this?
    He was batsmen of the tournament last time.

Anyway have any players from last two wc made into international cricket?
    For india I can think of chawla,uthappa,rohit sharma,raina any others?what about other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post

For india I can think of chawla,uthappa,rohit sharma,raina any others?what about other countries?
    Pujara is not available but keep an eye on Virat Kohli, Saurav Tiwary and Tanmay Srivastava for India. Nasir Jamshed from the 2006 U19 champion side just made his debut.

For West Indies Ravi Rampaul, Denesh Ramdin and Xavier Marshall were part of the 2004/5 Under 19 World Cup.

Pakistan U-19 outplay Lankans

Ahmed Shehzad and Umer Akmal scored half centuries as the touring Pakistan under 19 team outplayed the Sri Lanka under 19 team by six wickets in their practice one day match worked off at the NCC ground in Maitland Place yesterday.

The visitors reached their victory target from just 26.4 overs after skipper Imad Wasim and Adil Raza had dismissed the home team for a modest 163 runs from 41.5 overs.

Dilshan Munaweera was the only batsmen to offer any resistance with a top score of 67 for the Sri Lanka under 19 team.

The Sri Lanka under 19 team will take on the England under 19 team in another practice match today at the same venue before the Tri Series begins on Wednesday at the Colts ground in Havelock Park.

Sri Lanka under 19: 163 in 41.5 overs (D. Munaweera 67, U. Karunaratne 26, P. Senaratne 19, A. Raza 3 for 15, I. Wasim 4 for 15)

Pakistan under 19: 164 for 4 in 26.4 overs (A. Shehzad 66, U. Akmal 52 n.o, U. Amin 23, U. Karunaratne 3 for 23). C.D

Umer Akmal and Ahmed Shahzad are total guns.

Lets hope the akmal looks have improved with the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

Jason Dawes (Jamaica) - 18 year old right arm fast bowler who is the fastest bowler to emerge from West Indies under 19 cricket since Jermaine Lawson (only this guy bowls ). He emerged from the KFC cup with a lot of cricket after giving Barbados the hurry up even though they were only chasing 18 runs. He is not the tallest, but he is an athlete and I will be very surprised if there is anyone as quick as him in the tournament.
    How quick is Dawes? For Pakistanís Mohammad Aamer, Englandís Steven Finn and James Harris and South Africaís Matthew Arnold are all capable of generating some decent pace. Clayton August, also of South Africa is apparently a bit lively as well.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 21-01-2008 at 04:33 PM.

04 WC for England, Cook, Bresnan, Plunkett and Bopara.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Pujara is not available but keep an eye on Virat Kohli, Saurav Tiwary and Tanmay Srivastava for India. Nasir Jamshed from the 2006 U19 champion side just made his debut.
    Yeah, they are the three big guns for India, especially Tiwary at five. You seen young seamer Mohammed Arif? South African press said he was supposedly rather impressive in the recent tri-series between South Africa, India and Bangladesh.

Well he was bowling as quickly as Fidel Edwards in the KFC cup, so that would be 90 mph plus easily.

I haven't seen the other guys so perhaps I will revise my statement to 'I doubt that anyone will be quicker then him', as I have never seen anyone quicker at Under 19 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Well he was bowling as quickly as Fidel Edwards in the KFC cup, so that would be 90 mph plus easily.

I haven't seen the other guys so perhaps I will revise my statement to 'I doubt that anyone will be quicker then him', as I have never seen anyone quicker at Under 19 level.
    Well that is quick. Aamer from what I have seen is high 80s max, Finn about the same, Harris mid 80s, Arnold mid 80s and August I have never seen him but his not reportedly quicker than Arnold.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information