• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Is pujara still applicable for this?
He was batsmen of the tournament last time.

Anyway have any players from last two wc made into international cricket?
For india I can think of chawla,uthappa,rohit sharma,raina any others?what about other countries?

adharcric

International Coach

For india I can think of chawla,uthappa,rohit sharma,raina any others?what about other countries?
Pujara is not available but keep an eye on Virat Kohli, Saurav Tiwary and Tanmay Srivastava for India. Nasir Jamshed from the 2006 U19 champion side just made his debut.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain

For West Indies Ravi Rampaul, Denesh Ramdin and Xavier Marshall were part of the 2004/5 Under 19 World Cup.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan U-19 outplay Lankans

Ahmed Shehzad and Umer Akmal scored half centuries as the touring Pakistan under 19 team outplayed the Sri Lanka under 19 team by six wickets in their practice one day match worked off at the NCC ground in Maitland Place yesterday.

The visitors reached their victory target from just 26.4 overs after skipper Imad Wasim and Adil Raza had dismissed the home team for a modest 163 runs from 41.5 overs.

Dilshan Munaweera was the only batsmen to offer any resistance with a top score of 67 for the Sri Lanka under 19 team.

The Sri Lanka under 19 team will take on the England under 19 team in another practice match today at the same venue before the Tri Series begins on Wednesday at the Colts ground in Havelock Park.

Sri Lanka under 19: 163 in 41.5 overs (D. Munaweera 67, U. Karunaratne 26, P. Senaratne 19, A. Raza 3 for 15, I. Wasim 4 for 15)

Pakistan under 19: 164 for 4 in 26.4 overs (A. Shehzad 66, U. Akmal 52 n.o, U. Amin 23, U. Karunaratne 3 for 23). C.D

Xuhaib

International Coach
Umer Akmal and Ahmed Shahzad are total guns.

Lets hope the akmal looks have improved with the younger generation.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Dawes (Jamaica) - 18 year old right arm fast bowler who is the fastest bowler to emerge from West Indies under 19 cricket since Jermaine Lawson (only this guy bowls:laugh: ). He emerged from the KFC cup with a lot of cricket after giving Barbados the hurry up even though they were only chasing 18 runs. He is not the tallest, but he is an athlete and I will be very surprised if there is anyone as quick as him in the tournament.
How quick is Dawes? For Pakistan’s Mohammad Aamer, England’s Steven Finn and James Harris and South Africa’s Matthew Arnold are all capable of generating some decent pace. Clayton August, also of South Africa is apparently a bit lively as well.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

04 WC for England, Cook, Bresnan, Plunkett and Bopara.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pujara is not available but keep an eye on Virat Kohli, Saurav Tiwary and Tanmay Srivastava for India. Nasir Jamshed from the 2006 U19 champion side just made his debut.
Yeah, they are the three big guns for India, especially Tiwary at five. You seen young seamer Mohammed Arif? South African press said he was supposedly rather impressive in the recent tri-series between South Africa, India and Bangladesh.

Beamer

Well he was bowling as quickly as Fidel Edwards in the KFC cup, so that would be 90 mph plus easily.

I haven't seen the other guys so perhaps I will revise my statement to 'I doubt that anyone will be quicker then him', as I have never seen anyone quicker at Under 19 level.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well he was bowling as quickly as Fidel Edwards in the KFC cup, so that would be 90 mph plus easily.

I haven't seen the other guys so perhaps I will revise my statement to 'I doubt that anyone will be quicker then him', as I have never seen anyone quicker at Under 19 level.
Well that is quick. Aamer from what I have seen is high 80s max, Finn about the same, Harris mid 80s, Arnold mid 80s and August I have never seen him but his not reportedly quicker than Arnold.

Beamer

Well that is quick. Aamer from what I have seen is high 80s max, Finn about the same, Harris mid 80s, Arnold mid 80s and August I have never seen him but his not reportedly quicker than Arnold.
Yeah all indications are that he is a real find, but he is not the biggest lad and has a bustling action that must put a lot of stress on his body. He might well pick up a back injury at some point.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
England squad

* Ben Brown (Sussex)
* Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
* Steven Finn (Middlesex)
* Billy Godleman (Middlesex)
* James Goodman (Kent)
* James Harris (Glamorgan)
* James Lee (Yorkshire)
* Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
* Sam Northeast (Kent)
* Daniel Redfern (Derbyshire)
* James Taylor (Leicestershire)
* Alex Wakely (Northamptonshire, captain)
* Tom Westley (Essex)
* Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
* Greg Wood (Yorkshire)

The likes of Northeast, Godleman, Harris and Finn are pretty well known, what about the others, most of them have played the odd FC/OD game for their counties already.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good squad. Godleman, Finn and Harris are top talents, who should excel whilst Sam Northeast also has a wonderfully big rep. Believe I've played against James Goodman, or played against a 13 year old kid called James Goodman of then Bromley Common. I think it must be him for he was the only pubescent on the field and was a darn sight better batsman than all of us as well.

England probably has no chance but the side at least unlike previous squads does not have a patch work nature to it. Players have decent first class experience as well and the squad has been slowly developed through the years - a critical aspect which always puts the likes of India and Pakistan above England in youth cricket.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa's Squad...

Captain- Wayne Parnell- Grey High School, Eastern Province
Roy Adams- Diamantveld HS, Griquas
Matthew Arnold- St Albans College, Northerns
Clayton August- New Orleans Secondary, Boland
Wicket Keeper- Bradley Barnes- Fairbairn College, Western Province
Daniel Childs- Hermanus High, Boland
Sybrand Engelbrecht- Affies, Northerns
Reeza Hendricks- Northern Cape High, Griquas
Pieter Malan- Hoerskool Waterkloof, Northerns
Mangaliso Mosehle- Johan Jurgens, Easterns
Obus Pienaar- Grey College, Free State
Rilee Rossouw- Grey College, Free State
JJ Smuts- Graeme College, Eastern Province
Yaseen Vallie- Cravenby Secondary, Western Province
Johnathan Vandiar- Durban High School, KwaZulu Natal

Ray Jennings is coach.

The squad chosen is very intriguing in that there is some really talented cricketers but because the side was only put together two weeks ago, CSA are fairly resigned to hoping for a Semi Final defeat at the maximum. Which is a shame for the likes of JJ Smuts and Jonathan Vandiar are hugely talented batsman. Smuts has been described as Graeme College's finest schoolboy cricketer of all-time and is big favourite of Ray White whilst, Vandiar my cousin reports (played against him in schools cricket) has a penchant for smashing ridiculously quick tons (38 balls is his current record). Vandiar also hit a century last week against India's U-19, taking RSA from 6 for 88 to 262 for 9.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/engine/match/317027.html

South Africa's inexperience, especially abroad and lack of decent preparation will cost them but they have at least got a few cricketers for the future.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Saw thatEngland U-19 won their warm up game for the triangular series yesterday against SL. Godleman got 123. Decent start. They'll get hammered tomorrow against Pakistan though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Saw thatEngland U-19 won their warm up game for the triangular series yesterday against SL. Godleman got 123. Decent start. They'll get hammered tomorrow against Pakistan though.
Yeah good start as you say but Sri Lanka's U19 do not seem to be the most competitive of sides. Pakistan are likely to beat them by at least 150 plus runs.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srilanka/engine/current/match/328853.html

However, we should be use to the Pakistanis by now and are only real major weakness we had against them last summer was are inability to play against the spinners. The likes of Imad Wasim always seemed to have the knack of drawing the innings to complete standstill and aside from Godleman, the batsman had no real plan of how to deal with spin. If they can overcome that we should expect at least a semi final place.

Anyone know how the wickets in Malaysia are likely to play? And what sort of bowlers should do well?

Corli

U19 Cricketer
How strongly is the under 19 age limit enforced? I know for a fact that SA Engelbrecht (who is a good friend of my roommate of last year and probably wouldn't respond if you called him Sybrand) turned 19 last year, so I checked out the squads and there are quite a lot of players over the age of 19. They should be calling it the Under 20 World Cup...

luvaus

Cricket Spectator
My predictions

Most favorite is at the top

1.India
2.Pakistan
3.Bangladesh
4.Austrelia

India: Probably the best team among all. They beat other teams like SA very easily. They won atleast two tight matches against Ban from very bad possition, showing their strong mentality. Most of their players r good performer at FC lavel. Probably the most talented side along with SA and Pak. Well balanced and strong.

Pakistan: Have good players who performed well at their domestic leagues and beat Sri and Eng easily. Talented as well. But they have problems with their middle orders. Fielding isnt up to the mark as well. But rest of the squad can cover those lacks!! I think they have the most dangerous openning pair on the tournament.

Bangladesh: Surprising team. Another talented team. Beat Pak in Pak 3-2 at a 5 match series, beat Sri on another series by 3-2, beat SA in SA twice, Beat WI under 19 as well. The only lack they have is their in-experience below 17 aged players. Though they have three FC level player. I wont be surprised if they get the cup!!

Austrelia: The most organized and well prepared team. Mentally very strong and technically superb. But, in under 19 level, its not enough to win the cup. The condition will be different for them as well. They wont get the crowd support like other three asian teams avobe. If they can overcome, they can reach the semi-final atleast! Unfortunately, their senior team is my Fav!

I had a bit research on this (as a journalist) and this is the present condition. But, at under 19 lever, u cant predict anything!!

Last edited: