• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Collins Obuya

Rich2001

International Captain
News released suggest that Warwickshire are eyeing up Collins Obuya as their 2nd overseas player.

What's the Cricket Web resident Warwickshire fan think of this?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
hes a real good spinner and im sure he can be developed more for kenya and what he needs is more exposure and more practise and training ,

so for him its good and for kenya its good aswell

and for warwickshire its good as he is a good spinner the way i see it

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm im not sure

I think he lacks control, especially from his action..But what he loses in that, he gains in being unpredictable and getting bounce off the pitch..

What an offer for him though, doesnt he work on a tomato stall at the moment??!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think he is a great player. He takes wickets against top teams and usually at a good economy.

I only saw a little of the world cup but of what I did see, He was one of the best spinners there.

It would be great to see him playing there.. It can only be good for his cricket.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:

What an offer for him though, doesnt he work on a tomato stall at the moment??!
Yeah he works on his mothers stall and earns $1000 a year for playing Cricket for Kenya.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea true that tamara,

and im sure he can get a lot more money for gear and everything through this if he is workin in a tomoto stall hes going make lots more through this

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I assume you mean me Rich?

I noted this in the Brad Hogg thread yesterday - not sure what to think to be honest, on the one hand he did well at the World Cup, but on the other, his career record could be better!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The rumour got as far as Cricinfo, for sure.

How good is he?

Well, IMO he is a staggeringly good prospect - no more.

He needs to learn an awful lot - especially what to do when batsmen target him, but he does look to have a good head on his shoulders.

V Reddy

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
The rumour got as far as Cricinfo, for sure.

How good is he?

Well, IMO he is a staggeringly good prospect - no more.

He needs to learn an awful lot - especially what to do when batsmen target him, but he does look to have a good head on his shoulders.
Sorry couldn't reply earlier as i had problems with my Internet Provider as it was down for few days. I saw Collins bowling Googly and Flipper in the game against Zim in sharjah. He turned the googly a long way and he did have good control over them . Earlier he only used to bowl the leg spinner but now he is adding variations to his bowling. I did't see his other matches though.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes, Obuya didn't have much variation in the world cup and if he can add a decent googly and a flipper to his armoury then he can become a better bowler.

Also he needs to mature a bit more and not get fazed when the batsman are going after him.In the super-six match against India he was looking very menacing at the start and Yuvraj was all at sea while playing him and Ganguly wasn't comfortable either with the amount of bounce he was getting, but once Ganguly decided to go after him he was a completely different bowler after that.....he was bowling short and his line faltered and both Yuvraj and Ganguly completely took him apart. Leg spinners need to realise that they will be hit, but if they can take it in their stride and keep consistent with what they are doing, then they will get rewarded.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
According to BBC Teletext, they're trying to come to a deal.

According to ITV Teletext, he's signed.

Accoring to the Warwicshire website, no mention of him whatsoever!