• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting Vs Fleming Captaincy

Who is the better Captain?

• Ponting Ricky

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Fleming Stephen

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Who is the better Captain? Forget about Individual batting capabilities, Just discuss on who fares better.

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting.

Fleming led an average side to average results. Ponting led a very good side to remarkable, sometimes unbelievable results.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Ponting.

Fleming led an average side to average results. Ponting led a very good side to remarkable, sometimes unbelievable results.
Fleming was able to bring best from Each player and thats what the Captaincy job is all about. I do not think Ponting has got too many headaches captaining his side than Fleming. You can sense that, given a average side to Ponting like his team played 3rd test against India, he could not master his troops very well. Fleming on the other hand has got very poor side when on comparison but the team always performed better than the expectations.

sideshowtim

Banned
Fleming was able to bring best from Each player and thats what the Captaincy job is all about. I do not think Ponting has got too many headaches captaining his side than Fleming. You can sense that, given a average side to Ponting like his team played 3rd test against India, he could not master his troops very well. Fleming on the other hand has got very poor side when on comparison but the team always performed better than the expectations.
And Ponting hasn't been able to bring the best out in every player? It's one thing being a good bunch of players, it's another to get them all playing well and playing well together. Ponting does this wonderfully. Take a look at India for example. For years they've had outstanding teams on paper but haven't been able to always get it together.

Ponting has essentially had an 'average' side (If you'd call it that...) for the last 5 Tests and has won 4 of them...so don't see your point there.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Fleming by a mile.

Ponting is certainly not a bad captain, but he still has some way to go before he could be considered above just adequate. He is far too rigid tactically, and he doesn't show much in the way of creativity.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ricky Ponting is a far better captain now than I gave him credit for a few years ago, but I think it's difficult to judge just how good because he seldom has to pull cats out of the bag.

His diplomacy could do with a bit of work, but the hysterical reaction from some after the Sydney test was perhaps somewhat OTT.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ricky Ponting is a far better captain now than I gave him credit for a few years ago, but I think it's difficult to judge just how good because he seldom has to pull cats out of the bag.

His diplomacy could do with a bit of work, but the hysterical reaction from some after the Sydney test was perhaps somewhat OTT.

Yeah, totally agree. He's tactics have definitely improved since Ashes '05, Having Lee bowl well has also helped his captaincy, I fear if he wasn't bowling well Ponting would just about lose the plot. Ponting will be on hands and knees praying that Hayden is available for the next test.

Perm

Fleming, by a long way.

Look at the class of players Ponting has had available to him during his captaincy. Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath, Gillespie, himself. Who was Fleming had in the same class? Bond for a few games. Yet New Zealand always seemed to be one of the stronger ODI sides going around during Fleming's captaincy. I don't think it is any coincidence that we have fallen so far after he was stripped of the leadership.

Debris

International 12th Man
No way to decide this. The difference in the sides makes any comparison impossible.

Stephen Fleming looks more like a captain though. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fleming's captaincy has rapidly become one of the great sacred cows. He was a very good captain no doubt, but not immeasurably better than Ponting is now he's worked his way into the job.
Much of the Fleming mystique harks back to the wondrous (and for NZ it was) drawn series here several years back, especially in Perth when NZ pressed hard for a win on day 5. What a lot of people forget though is that the first two tests, Brisbane in particular, were beset by rain when Australia was looking very much like winning.
He was a good captain, but I'd put him not really better than Ponting.

Craig

World Traveller
Gone for Stephen Fleming.

Disgusted at the lack of an irrelevent 3rd option and a public poll.

So far according to CW Fleming > Ponting.

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
Fleming by a long way.

Give Ponting any New Zealand side over the last 10 years to captain and I do not believe he would have had a better win/loss record than Fleming.

Perm

Fleming by a long way.

Give Ponting any New Zealand side over the last 10 years to captain and I do not believe he would have had a better win/loss record than Fleming.
TBH he probably would have, but that would've been more due to his sublime batting than his captaincy skills.

Perm

Id say Ponting but Fleming is good also.

Hard to argue against 16 test wins in a row...
Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Clark.

Hard to argue with those names either. Ponting may have been the captain during those 16 Test wins, but that means virtually nothing when you see the kind of players he had at his disposal.