• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanath Jayasuriya bows out

PY

International Coach
Just spotted on Ceefax page 345, he has resigned as the captain of Sri Lanka. Don't think it's good for them but we'll have to wait and see. Not to start another rather large argument but who do persons think are going to replace him? Suitable or otherwise............Atapattu?

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, I would think Atapatu too. He seems leader material ;)

Nobody on their team is really a regular anymore, other than Jayasurya, Atapatu, Vaas and Murali...and teams usually don't have bowler captains...

Sangakarra might become a regular, but I think he's too new for that...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To recycle the comment I made when he quit first time (i.e. 3 weeks ago) and was told to stay on:

The Sri Lankan board need to realise that an unhappy captain will lead to an unhappy side. There's no good in having the eleven best players without a team unit. Jayasuriya won't be here in 2007, so following Jayasuriya's appointment in 1999 building for 2003, maybe it's time for a new man for 2007. Let Jayasuriya concentrate on his natural game and show us some wonderful centuries, and how about Thilan Samaraweera for the captaincy?

Legglancer

State Regular
Kudos to Sanath for his absolute commitment to the Sri Lanken team. He is one of my favorites not only because his batting wizedry .... but his humility on and off the field. The pain he feels when his team is faltering is so tangible just as the unreserved child-like joy he radiates when he gets a wicket or taked a catch. He is quite a emotional player but youve got to love him for it.