• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are India the second best team in the world?

Are India the second best team in the world?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Simple question here. They've won in England, but lost in South Africa (though I think SA would lose in India). But they won a Test in Australia, which no other side has managed to do. The last team to win in Australia was......India in 2003. I think its still close, but I think India are now #2.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'll probably get a reactionary response to this so the results will be skewed, but I actually thought India were the second best team in the world before this tour I started, and my thoughts certainly haven't changed based on it. In fact, pending Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman playing on and playing well, I think India will have a good case for pushing #1 in the next couple of years as the young bowlers continue to learn more about exactly how to utilise their skills best at test level.

Definitely a clear cut #2 for mine now, though.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Top 3:

1.Australia
2.South Africa
3.India
My thoughts on South Africa have changed dramatically over the last couple of series, and they were both series where South Africa actually did exceptionally well in. They're covering their cracks up a bit at the moment due to the standard of their opposition, but I think India are a more hardened and rounded team. South Africa on their day are a really, really good team, but I don't see them being able to maintain it consistently with their batting lineup and lack of a "Plan B" with the ball. I saw some signs against New Zealand and West Indies where South Africa looked quite vulnerable as a unit despite doing really well as a whole.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yes. Think I said during the Sydney test that the performance there should remove any lingering doubts. Don't think Ganguly's presence as a factor in this is to be underrated either.

I'm guessing they also take a thin lead for second on the official ICC table after this victory, though I don't know for sure what happens pending the result at Adelaide.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I basically echo what PEWS said. I thought they were number 2 before this series based on their victory over here and even had they lost today they'd already given Oz more of a fight than we managed last winter.

It's most encouraging to see they've actually produced a few proper seamers from somewhere. They've been without their top boy (Zaheer) for the last two tests and have coped far better than we have without Fred.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not only do India now rest supreme in World Cricket, there are also plans to rename the classic Lawrence of Arabia as Kumble Goes to Australia.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, IMO.

South Africa and Sri Lanka are much too reliant on a couple of players, whilst others are generally ****. England's injuries have sent them back into the pack, aswell as some shocking selection issues in the past little while. Pakistan have too many issues, as do the West Indies. New Zealand don't play Test cricket, and Bangladesh aren't really that good. :(

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
they have to perform well for a bit longer to be clear 2nds, but its hard to think of anyone besides australia thats ahead of them

JBH001

International Regular
Yep.

India at two. The South Africa, then Sri Lanka, a gap and then the rest. But the latter two are too reliant on a few players (as Perm has already said). India's perfomances in this series, and their win in Perth especially, has been the result of good team work and valuable contributions by all concerned. Hope they keep it up.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with those who thought they were number two before this series - to me, their performances in Australia merely confirm their ranking rather than establish it. I think South Africa are possibly looking a little better than they are due to cashing in during a string of Tests against relatively weak opposition, and they get two more soon against Bangladesh to continue the run. A fine side no question, but I'd have India above them at this point in time.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, leaning towards India clearly being number two. This India side has a really great team feel to it, they seem very united, have good a balance and although they still have a few issues (like all sides do really) they have the makings of a very high quality outfit.

However, how long can it last? Tendulkar, Dravid, Kumble and Ganguly can't go on forever and they really need to make the most of it whilst this side is at its peak over the next two or so years.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hell, unless I'm mistaken they've beaten England in England, drew (?) with SA in SA, beat Pakistan at home, and have (morally at the least) squared the series in Australia with one test to go. If they can keep this group together and going through the rest of the year, I think not only will they be a clear #2, they will have eliminated the 'daylight' between the Aussies and number 2.

duffer

However, how long can it last? Tendulkar, Dravid, Kumble and Ganguly can't go on forever and they really need to make the most of it whilst this side is at its peak over the next two or so years.
I know that it'll be big blow to lose them all very close to one another but we have a lot of young talent going around the traps.

Guys like Badrinath, Karthick, Tiwary, Raina and Uthappa all have shown promise at some time or another and if managed properly can step up and contribute to the Test team.

The spinner problem is bigger IMO, but we have a good spinner in Bhajji who needs to step up. Apart from Chawla I don't really see who else we can bring through now.

What I'm most excited about is we have a decent squad of quicks going around and who we can built a solid period of success around.

Future's bright for us IMO if we handle the situation well and take a long term view with our youngsters.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India were arguably second best team in the world after they beat England in England.

They are now clearly second best team in the world.

When is the last time SA won a test against Australia, let alone in Australia? 2002 or something right? And that was a dead rubber.

Johnners

Yep, definitely no.2 at this stage.

Totally agree with Pasag on this point though. Tendulkar, Dravid, Kumble & Ganguly (you could probably throw Laxman in there as well) are all in the twilight of their careers so they really need to make most of their last few years before retirement.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Along with Australia, and maybe SA (maybe, although with Pollock gone??), India clearly have the best fast bowling stocks in the world. Sharma looks a real prospect, and bowled well - although (and this is not a knock on the kid) if a bowler of his type couldn't bowl well on this Perth pitch, they would be as well to give the game away. Nevertheless he did perform well, and he seems to be visibly improving with every outing at this level and looks like he has the stuff to be a success at test level.

Pathan was brilliant this match - here's hoping he kicks on with this form and can put the last couple of years firmly behind him - just a joy to watch bowling.

RP Singh has been ace. Zaheer is top-drawer now. Sreesanth is fiery but a great "explosive" player to have to add to the mix. And there's the mythical "fit Munaf" to maybe add to the mix at some stage.

Re the spinner: in a couple of years, India could well be in the situation where their best bet is to take in four quicks!!! :laugh: Who'd've thunk it?

pasag

RTDAS
I know that it'll be big blow to lose them all very close to one another but we have a lot of young talent going around the traps.

Guys like Badrinath, Karthick, Tiwary, Raina and Uthappa all have shown promise at some time or another and if managed properly can step up and contribute to the Test team.

The spinner problem is bigger IMO, but we have a good spinner in Bhajji who needs to step up. Apart from Chawla I don't really see who else we can bring through now.

What I'm most excited about is we have a decent squad of quicks going around and who we can built a solid period of success around.

Future's bright for us IMO if we handle the situation well and take a long term view with our youngsters.
Yeah, no doubt the future is bright and there is a good young core especially with the fast bowlers. The only question I have is whether India will be able to maintain being such a good side once those four leave and how it will react to the changes.