• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are India the second best team in the world?

Are India the second best team in the world?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if anyone has changed their mind now. In the last eight Test matches, home and away, India are 3-2-3 against Australia. I think they are now the second best team for sure, though SA are real close followed by England and SL.
I think that is a fair assessment.

India are clear number 2 right now though SA could possibly change that against Australia soon.

Other teams may claim to be number 2 if they do x, y or z but India are currently in that position.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think that is a fair assessment.

India are number 2 right now though SA could possibly change that against Australia soon.
I think if SA manage to beat Australia in Australia, they can be #2. That would be a fantastic achievement. Especially as I think they'll play Krejza, and he'll get tonked as there will be very little rough and he is not economical, or accurate, or has enough variations otherwise.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if anyone has changed their mind now. In the last eight Test matches, home and away, India are 3-2-3 against Australia. I think they are now the second best team for sure, though SA are real close followed by England and SL.
I honestly think SA are number 2, and failure to win either series against Australia will give India the title. Their problem is that they're similar in style to Australia- strong batting lineup, good fast bowlers- but simply not as good, so there aren't any conditions where they can expect to beat them. India are a very different team from both, so depending on the pitch can be better than anyone.

The reason i'd give number 2 to South Africa is because of their recent record. They haven't lost a series in yonks, they've won something like 8 of their last 9 series, the drawn one being away in India (who they beat at home not long beforehand). India's record is nowhere near as distinctive.

It's a really tough one, because you have to weigh their abilities in different conditions. I think everyone can agree that generally in the subcontinent, India>Australia+South Africa, and away from there Australia>South Africa>India. Sri Lanka have a case for being as good as anyone on turning pitches lately, but that just confuses things even more!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think if SA manage to beat Australia in Australia, they can be #2. That would be a fantastic achievement. Especially as I think they'll play Krejza, and he'll get tonked as there will be very little rough and he is not economical, or accurate, or has enough variations otherwise.
krejza won't be a factor in that series and in any case the saffies aren't the greatest at playing spin, the focus will be back on the aussie pace attack of brett lee, stuart clark, mitchell johnson et al should be more effective there...

Uppercut

krejza won't be a factor in that series and in any case the saffies aren't the greatest at playing spin, the focus will be back on the aussie pace attack of brett lee, stuart clark, mitchell johnson et al should be more effective there...
Disagree, South Africa are top quality against spin on all but the most vicious of pitches, which will not under any circumstances exist for any of these six tests.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
When do India tour SA next? Its going to go a long way towards answering so many questions. I don't think India could claim to be #2 if we don't win atleast one test there next time.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Even Though England got beaten by SAF at home i sense in the next year or so they will be right up there maybe 2nd but i can see them taking the 3rd position, they seem to be in some sort of groove now if only the batting can click more often. the new captain helps i guess we will see in india tests. I am also hoping for an awesome Ashes, very competitive one.

Uppercut

Even Though England got beaten by SAF at home i sense in the next year or so they will be right up there maybe 2nd but i can see them taking the 3rd position, they seem to be in some sort of groove now if only the batting can click more often. the new captain helps i guess we will see in india tests. I am also hoping for an awesome Ashes, very competitive one.
What's to base that on though? A good performance in the dead-rubber test? Or some ODIs?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When do India tour SA next? Its going to go a long way towards answering so many questions. I don't think India could claim to be #2 if we don't win atleast one test there next time.
But we won a Test there last time. The series probably would have been drawn if not for a ridiculous display of defensive batting later on in the series.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Second best isn't good enough. They need to keep improving...

We've seen a whole lot of second-best teams crash to the bottom of the pile and stay second-best once too often...

subshakerz

International Coach
Yea, I would say that India have now overtaken SA as the 2nd side in world cricket ATM.
I fail to see how India is better than South Africa when South Africa's record of late is much more consistent both home and away. They have been unbeaten for their last eight series, while India before this series lost to Sri Lanka, nearly lost to South Africa in their home ground, and lost to Australia. India seems to be on the upswing, but for now South Africa are a notch ahead.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
are they? when did this transformation happen? that's certainly not how it used to be...
When they drew in India and won in Pakistan.

I really can't choose who's number 1,2,3,4 or even 5 anymore. Sri Lanka, England, India, Australia and South Africa look even IMO. It's what's great about cricket these days.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thought they were then & still do.

SA mildly overrated for me. Yeah, they won up here, but we were largely gash and our batters displayed a frankly wanton largess to what I still think is a workmanlike yarp attack. Kallis was arguably their best bowler up here.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I fail to see how India is better than South Africa when South Africa's record of late is much more consistent both home and away. They have been unbeaten for their last eight series, while India before this series lost to Sri Lanka, nearly lost to South Africa in their home ground, and lost to Australia. India seems to be on the upswing, but for now South Africa are a notch ahead.
3-2-3 against Australia home and away. SA are 0-6. Slight difference. It doesn't count for everything, but it counts for a lot IMO. This may change pretty soon with SA's visit to Australia. Until then though....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, for the simple fact that they have now two retirees, one on the way and their new players have hardly been tested. India had always been strong at home and had some recent success away. However, I feel they have to re-establish that with their new players now in order for that to really solidify their position. IMO S.Africa are better and I wouldn't be surprised if Sri Lanka/England beat them in India. A toss-up between India/S.Africa/England/Sri Lanka at the moment.

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
India are not the second best team in the world

Simply because they are the best team in the world.....and i am not joking:laugh: