• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are India the second best team in the world?

Are India the second best team in the world?

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
I'm hoping Tendulkar gives away the ODI game after the CB series here in Australia.

Wouldn't mind if Ganguly and Dravid did too, but Tendulkar I'd like to see hang the boots up for sure.
Yeah, as sad as it would be to see such brilliant ODI players go, it should certainly be done to prolong their Test careers.
Yeah, I'd like to see all three retire from ODIs immediately if it'd prolong their test careers. Sure, they are all very good to great ODI batsmen, but it's a sacrafise worth making IMO, especially when you consider that the Indian ODI team isn't in great stocks anyway and could probably do with a makeover of sorts.
Sachin, Dravid and Ganguly retiring from ODIs makes sense as they are unlikely to last til the next WC, and the 20/20 Championship showcased a lot of the good young limited overs talent India has coming through. It would give the next generation a chance to establish themselves internationally before the turnover in the Test team began in earnest.

It will be sad to see Sachin in particular hang up the pyjamas, but worth it if it means we get to see him bat in Tests for an extra year or two.
AWTA. As great as these three have been for India, I'm not too worried about replacing them in the test lineup with so many quality batsmen making a case for national selection. Replacing Kumble will be tougher, not because India don't have any promising spinners (Chawla, Ojha, Mishra all have a shot) but more because Kumble has meant so much for India - professional, courageous, a real champ. Hope he hangs around for a while.

Debris

International 12th Man
AWTA. As great as these three have been for India, I'm not too worried about replacing them in the test lineup with so many quality batsmen making a case for national selection. Replacing Kumble will be tougher, not because India don't have any promising spinners (Chawla, Ojha, Mishra all have a shot) but more because Kumble has meant so much for India - professional, courageous, a real champ. Hope he hangs around for a while.
A great spinner is always the hardest to find a replacement for. Just ask Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And Pathan is actually India's 4th best pace bowler, and he just won India a test vs. Australia. That suggest India's depth is going alright hey.
Recent evidence would suggest he's actually 5th in the pecking order behind Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and Sharma.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The one thing that I have reservation about is that Zaheer, RP, Pathan, Sreesanth are all out and out swing bowlers - and I am a bit worried about what happens when it runs out. Thats why I think Sharma is important to have around - you can at least get something when there is little or no swing. Munaf can also be a back-of-length bowler, which could be useful in all conditions.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The one thing that I have reservation about is that Zaheer, RP, Pathan, Sreesanth are all out and out swing bowlers - and I am a bit worried about what happens when it runs out. Thats why I think Sharma is important to have around - you can at least get something when there is little or no swing. Munaf can also be a back-of-length bowler, which could useful in all conditions.
Yeah, that was my main concern regarding the attack on the tour of Australia, because no-one has really got the ball to swing much here in the last 5 years other than the odd spell (eg. Agarkar in 2003). Even Hoggard, who is arguably the best out-and-out swing bowler in the world at the moment, got bugger all assistance last summer. What has been really impressive though is the fact that they've all swung the ball anyway - often in conditions I wouldn't say were at all conducive to it.

masterblaster

International Captain
Second best?

You bet. The mark of the second best team is that they should give the best team a run for their money. No team apart from India has competed on this level with Australia in their own backyard. South Africa got smashed, Sri Lanka got smashed, New Zealand got smashed and England got smashed.

Very proud of the fact that India is the only team that gives Australia some resistance and can compete at the same level and also pull off the odd win.

masterblaster

International Captain
Recent evidence would suggest he's actually 5th in the pecking order behind Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and Sharma.
Pathan's upside is that he is a far superior batsman than all of these bunnies combined. If he can bowl just as well as Sharma or Sreesanth (note that I'm rating RP Singh and Zaheer Khan ahead of the rest) and also pitch in consistently with the runs, then he is a far suprior option than Sreesanth or Sharma. Although Ishant Sharma looks pretty special in a raw sort of way at the moment. He just needs to bulk up, become fitter and more consistent with his line and length.

adharcric

International Coach
The one thing that I have reservation about is that Zaheer, RP, Pathan, Sreesanth are all out and out swing bowlers - and I am a bit worried about what happens when it runs out. Thats why I think Sharma is important to have around - you can at least get something when there is little or no swing. Munaf can also be a back-of-length bowler, which could be useful in all conditions.
Yeah, that was my main concern regarding the attack on the tour of Australia, because no-one has really got the ball to swing much here in the last 5 years other than the odd spell (eg. Agarkar in 2003). Even Hoggard, who is arguably the best out-and-out swing bowler in the world at the moment, got bugger all assistance last summer. What has been really impressive though is the fact that they've all swung the ball anyway - often in conditions I wouldn't say were at all conducive to it.
Good points there. Sharma is valuable because he has done well on flat tracks in India and he's got enough pace, accuracy and bounce as well as swing and seam movement to have an impact regardless of the conditions. Besides, he's only 19 and looks like a natural athlete with good fitness apart from the lean frame. Sreesanth and RP Singh are both sharp enough (around 140 kph) so that will help them. Sreesanth has seam movement to fall back upon but he really needs to work on accuracy and variety. RP gets good bounce but I haven't really analyzed his bowling enough to make further assessments. Zaheer and Pathan have both matured as bowlers - they both have plenty of variety and are very intelligent bowlers - but I'm uncertain as to how they will do with little assistance from the track.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No doubt on this. India has won atleast one match in every away series in last few years. And on home they are almost unbeatable. so they are clearly #2. Sri Lanka would be my #3 and SA #4.

But let's not get carried away...still there is big gap between #1 and #2.

deira

Banned
I think india's batting is very strong, they could be even level with Australia in batting. Their bowling is getting better. They still need to work on fielding. If they keep getting better at bowling and fix thier feilding, they could become the best

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt on this. India has won atleast one match in every away series in last few years. And on home they are almost unbeatable. so they are clearly #2. Sri Lanka would be my #3 and SA #4.

But let's not get carried away...still there is big gap between #1 and #2.
I think SL v India this year (August 2008) will be very exciting now and I expect SL to clinch that No.2 spot quite convincingly then...even if for short time...:)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
the short period SL can hold the No2 spot may be only 2 months (ie August to October 2008) as Australia play India in October in India and I expect India to smash the Aussies 3-0 or 3-1 or at least 2-1...minimum ...this may be India's chance to go to the No 1 ranking...then

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the short period SL can hold the No2 spot may be only 2 months (ie August to October 2008) as Australia play India in October in India and I expect India to smash the Aussies 3-0 or 3-1 or at least 2-1...minimum ...this may be India's chance to go to the No 1 ranking...then
based on what are you saying the aussies will be easy prey for the indians in india? are you just trying to bait/provoke? i thought you were a more knowledgable and thoughtful poster than this...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
based on what are you saying the aussies will be easy prey for the indians in india? are you just trying to bait/provoke? i thought you were a more knowledgable and thoughtful poster than this...
without Shane Warne and McGrath they don't stand a chance in India and the upcoming series will show that very clearly...why would I even bait /provoke ...that is an opinion based on their past performaces ...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

A bit of an overreaction there.