• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

my worst game, my first game

phainswo

Cricket Spectator
i played cricket for CRaigmore a little town in South Australia, Australia.

I batted 7th got ran out for a GOLDEN DUCK
DRopped 2 catches

Bowled 3 over 0wkts 0 maidens 30runs rpo10

WORST GAME EVER

but my battiing average is 43.25
Bowling 37.63
and havent dropped catch in more than 50 games. only taken 6 or 7

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not as bad as my legendary six ducks in a row...

Although i did recover the next season and won the club batting trophy

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Not as bad as my legendary six ducks in a row...

Although i did recover the next season and won the club batting trophy
Lol. How did you stay on the club? Bribes? ;)

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well he's managed to make it into the 1st XI squad, so it can't be too bad!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
never mind.

Can't say my first proper representative match was that er, character-building but it was pretty embarrassing for one incident.

I was 14 (I'm ignoring school cricket here) and to celebrate being selected by my local cricket club for the first time, I went out and bought some new cricket boots from Gunn and Moore.

They were very helpful - the guy behind the counter asked me whether I was a fast bowler and the like before producing these boots which looked like, er, boots (remember we're talking 1960's here. Look at old photos of Trueman, Statham, Higgs, Snow etc) with the high ankle supports etc.

I got them home and spent hours putting the studs in (you had to screw the studs directly into the leather).

The next day, the big game. Home match. My mum and dad, grandma, loads of friends turned out to watch.

We batted first - they put me down at No 8 and I scored 2* before we declared - yay, big cheers. I looked splendid in my new boots.

Fielding, I was put out to grass at third man and/or long-on for the most part. We were well on top so the captain brought me on to bowl. I measured out my run - 14 paces - and came steaming in. I took off in my delivery stride and when my left heel hit the ground - to my horror - I discovered that I'd stripped most of the studs out. I skidded about 5 yards before falling flat on my backside - still holding on to the ball.

Luckily, one of the other quicks (Rammo) had some spare studs and a spanner in his pocket, so he quickly shoved three or four in the heel. Funnily enough, the right boot and the left sole were fine.

I (eventually) bowled 2 tight overs and removed their last man - finished 1-2 I think. My gran and mum were all concerned for my welfare (whether I'd got hurt) - my dad was just pi**ing himself.

Later, Rammo (no longer with us unfortunately) told me the secret - you're supposed to SOAK the leather before putting studs in, then it shrinks as it dries and they'll hardly ever fall out.

The following year, Gunn and Moore had a sale of boots with sockets for the screw-ins. I bought some of those.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And they're always in Black and White! ;)
No, my telly was black and white - but my memories are colourful.

P.S. I'm still clumsy and accident-prone (perhaps they are one and the same thing).

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Its always nice to have someone like you in a message board LE, have you considered writing an autobiography now that you're a cricketweb icon ?