• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Graveney moves over as Geoff Miller becomes England's Chairman of selectors

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/332121.html

David Graveney moves out of his role as England's chairman of selectors after 11 years...and is replaced by Geoff Miller....and the selection panel includes one Ashley Giles who retired from Test cricket only last year and James Whittaker ....

Graveney ,IMHO, shouldve been moved long ago...He does get credited along with Fletcher for England's success in winning back the Ashes but overall , IMHO , England's selections were very puzzling under Graveney, lately .....And it was high time for him to move on...I have not much knowledge on Miller apart from the fact he was a former England allrounder...English fans can perhaps comment on what they expect from these changes to the selection panel...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With bollock-aching inevitability he's nicknamed "Dusty" & er.... :unsure:

Must be an improvement on Graveney tho. One frankly wonders what input he actually had despite being the titular chairman; Fletcher's team was very much Fletcher's team & Moores's equally so thus far.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
With bollock-aching inevitability he's nicknamed "Dusty" & er.... :unsure:

Must be an improvement on Graveney tho. One frankly wonders what input he actually had despite being the titular chairman; Fletcher's team was very much Fletcher's team & Moores's equally so thus far.
Sorry to hear about the state of your nads.

But as for your second point, will anything change there? I've lost track of who's supposed to have the final say on England sides. Sometimes it sounds like Fletcher/Moores, and on other occasions it seems that the captain has the casting vote. tbh there just seem to be too many people involved and, since 2006/7, too many spurious appointments

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ITSTL.

Certainly, Nasser Hussain (the only person I've ever read comment on David Graveney and Geoff Miller as selectors) always thought more of Miller than Graveney. Graveney has always picked the team most popularly wanted (and that's why he's remained in the job so long). Can see Miller being criticised more often, hence probably having a shorter tenure, but perhaps actually picking better teams that will more satisfy the more knowledgeable cricketing types (ie, such as those who post on CW).

Now, time to put a piece up on CW about this...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I've lost track of who's supposed to have the final say on England sides. Sometimes it sounds like Fletcher/Moores, and on other occasions it seems that the captain has the casting vote. tbh there just seem to be too many people involved and, since 2006/7, too many spurious appointments.
Concur with this, just let the coach pick the side and have done with it.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Saw the Wheelie Bin leave in a very nice Porsche just as I got to work.