• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-Time Tour of England Team

Matt79

Global Moderator
Inspired from a comment in Manee's stability vs. rotation thread. If you could pick a team of non-English players to participate in a tour of England based solely on their achievements IN England, what would your team look like?

We could do a series of these actually, Tour of Australia, Tour of India, etc

I'd tentatively suggest Bradman and Warne as possibles :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
<>
<>
Bradman
IVA Richards
<>
<>
<>
Warne
<>
Murali
Alderman

A few names to start with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Smith needs to play more than 2 innings first (and this is from one of his biggest fans).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
McGrath must surely be a serious consideration anyway hactually. Anyone think of some seamers who've done better?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
DK Lillee to get a run, surely.

Sobers wasn't too shabby either, his 1966 series was something else.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If we're having Murali and Warne, we'll need an allrounder who bowls pace. Candidates off the top of my head including Miller, Sobers, Khan, Kapil, and since its a batting allrounder we're really after, Kallis.

Sobers 21 matches, 1820 runs at 53.52 (5 centuries), and 62 wickets at 31.58 (3 five-fers)
Miller 15 matches, 610 runs at 24.4 (1 century) and 44 wickets at 24.34 (2 five-fers)
Khan 12 matches, 500 runs at 35.71 (1 century), and 47 wickets at 24.63 (4 five-fers)
Dev 13 matches, 638 runs at 35.44 (1 century), and 43 wiclets at 39.18 (2 five-fers)
Kallis 8 matches, 482 runs at 37.07 (1 century) and 25 at 26.72 (1 five-fer)

Sober's the clear winner there IMO. Surprised at how poor Miller's record as a batsman in England was - probably reflected the bowling load he carried there, and the fact that his best batting performances in England occurred before the resumption of Test cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Steve Waugh has to play!!

22 Tests 1633 runs average of 77.85. 7 100s.

I would drop Murali - go with 3 pace bowlers and Warne.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Waugh has to play!!

22 Tests 1633 runs average of 77.85. 7 100s.

I would drop Murali - go with 3 pace bowlers and Warne.
Wow, good call - didn't realise his record was quite so stupendous in England. I was going to suggest AB but he averaged a mere 65!

pasag

RTDAS
Up to a certain point I think it should be taken into account. Back in the day Tests were obviously the most important thing but as far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a true test of how good a player was, was if he could conquer all conditions in England over a long tour there. And Matt does say tour in the title.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Basically, failure in tour-games and success in Tests has always been rare. But success in tour-games and failure in Tests, which would these days be considered very poor form indeed, was then merely "how odd" sort of thing.

I'd only ever bring tour-game form into the reckoning if tie-breaks were needed on Tests.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What keeper would you pick?

Gilchrist averages 40.07. Most of the other top batsmen/keepers average around the 30 mark in England.

Don't know if picking Gilly or someone more famous for his keeping would be better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If we're having Murali and Warne, we'll need an allrounder who bowls pace. Candidates off the top of my head including Miller, Sobers, Khan, Kapil, and since its a batting allrounder we're really after, Kallis.

Sobers 21 matches, 1820 runs at 53.52 (5 centuries), and 62 wickets at 31.58 (3 five-fers)
Miller 15 matches, 610 runs at 24.4 (1 century) and 44 wickets at 24.34 (2 five-fers)
Khan 12 matches, 500 runs at 35.71 (1 century), and 47 wickets at 24.63 (4 five-fers)
Dev 13 matches, 638 runs at 35.44 (1 century), and 43 wiclets at 39.18 (2 five-fers)
Kallis 8 matches, 482 runs at 37.07 (1 century) and 25 at 26.72 (1 five-fer)

Sober's the clear winner there IMO. Surprised at how poor Miller's record as a batsman in England was - probably reflected the bowling load he carried there, and the fact that his best batting performances in England occurred before the resumption of Test cricket.
Sobers should play as a batsman for mine, he's better than most batsmen anyway. Then have Imran in as an all-rounder.

Kallis' record in England is no more than respectible. He should not be in.