• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in Bangladesh

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And since we are on this topic,can someone explain how gibbs is considered a person of colour and kallis a white in south africa?
Its as simple as Kallis is white

and Gibbs is Coloured

In South Africa coloured people can go from the very light (Gibbs) to the very dark. It is a seperate ethnic and cultural group that has evolved in SA.

Gibbs is a pale skinned Coloured and (I believe) both his parents were classed as coloured.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Also, reading that, I wonder why there are so many black bowlers coming through and relatively few batsmen?
You know what, thats an interesting question and one I think I can answer pretty comprehensively.

Im due to write a CricketWeb article this week. I might steal that question as the topic if you dont mind? Thanks :)

Protean

State Regular
The difference is Kallis is of Caucasian origin and Gibbs is of mixed origin. That's it. SA is fairly warm, most of us have tans :)

Protean

State Regular
You know what, thats an interesting question and one I think I can answer pretty comprehensively.

Im due to write a CricketWeb article this week. I might steal that question as the topic if you dont mind? Thanks :)
Look forward to reading it :)

Woodster

International Captain
From the highlights I saw today of the second ODI, SA were impressive in the way they looked sharp, and pumped up to win despite only playing Bangladesh. Now, they are things we expect should happen in Test or ODI cricket, that a side are keen to win every game and do not take the foot off the gas and show high intensity throughout, but as is the way, it is not always the case in sport.

Nel needs no encouragement to be pumped, and the poor decision to exclude him from the India tour has clearly helped pump him up for this game. But SA in general were professional in seeing off an admittedly far weaker side than themselves, but have done so with the ease you would have hoped (from an SA point of view).

England should take note, and dispose of lesser opponents with equal authority. They would have probably allowed Bangladesh to reach around 220 in this game and then struggled to win by 3/4 wickets.

Protean

State Regular
:no:

I thought Gibbs was white when I was a kid, he really is quite pale for a Coloured.
Yeah he is, I also did actually :) But my point is, in the middle of summer I'm probably around the same colour as plenty of coloured people. Skin colour is not necessarily definitive.

Protean

State Regular
Hmm, Bangladesh started well this morning but just throwing their wickets away again. Score for Albie Morkel though who has got 3 so far, but first was a dodgy decision and the last was a really, really terrible shot.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Very professional job by the South Africans. Although, Gibbs once again disappointed, the captain led from the front and AB played a nice attacking cameo.

Congrats on now being number 1 in the ODI rankings.

As for Bangladesh it was a series to forget, their batting has been truly pathetic.

Precambrian

Banned
Yep, actually SA should thank Indians for indirectly contributing to them becoming No. 1 :)

And at present, Indians are rubber holders against both Australia and SA in ODI series