• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag v Gayle

Who would you rather prefer as an opener?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle. His technique is fine I think people are thrown by his movements after he contacts the ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gayle. His technique is fine I think people are thrown by his movements after he contacts the ball.
Or perhaps by the fact that he plays almost everything from the crease? He does move his feet across at times, which is more than can be said for Mr. Sehwag of late, but he certainly doesn't go forward and he rarely goes back either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would rather open with whoever had the best defensive technique out of my bowlers. Seriously.
Not playing to the style you like doesn't mean a player isn't a good or very good batsman.

Sehwag 2002-2005 was a very very good test batsman. And all those knocks were not just on flat tracks or poor bowling line-ups.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not playing to the style you like doesn't mean a player isn't a good or very good batsman.

Sehwag 2002-2005 was a very very good test batsman. And all those knocks were not just on flat tracks or poor bowling line-ups.
The poll (nor the thread) doesn't ask me who I think is better, it asks me who I'd prefer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So you'd prefer IN YOUR TEAM (not to watch) a tailender with a decent technique (Mitch Johnson?) opening your batting than Sehwag? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So you'd prefer IN YOUR TEAM (not to watch) a tailender with a decent technique (Mitch Johnson?) opening your batting than Sehwag? :p
Indeed. Who is better has little bearing on who I'd prefer in my team. Who I'd select if I wanted to win the game would be a different thing altogether though.

gwo

U19 Debutant

He did say best "defensive" technique.

Best defensive technique for a bowler belongs to Gillespie.

Clearly a better batsmen than Gayle and Sehwag8-) 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gillespie does/did not have a better defensive technique than Sehwag. You can argue temperament, but not technique.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle. Chris usually gets himself out and can look impenetrable after a time whilst Sehwag you always fancy you can take him at anytime and his never fully ‘settled’.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sehwag in Tests. Gayle has 7 centuries in 70 Tests, Sehwag has 12 in 52. They both have a triple century, but Sehwag averages slightly less than 50 while Gayle averages slightly less than 40. Gayle also scores slower by a considerable margin in Tests, which obviously is overrated in Tests, but for both of these, I assume you're looking for a blaster.

I am astonished anyone would pick Gayle in Tests tbh.

Last edited: