• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain for England?

Who would you select as the spinner in England's Test team?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would select Saqlain for the one day team for sure.

Not so sure about Test Cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
One for the "makes a mockery of international sport" pile imo, whatever the qualification rules may say to the contrary. Lovely guy and, in his time, a great bowler, but I wouldn't want anyone who's played for another country to represent England.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely pick him for the ODI side if he's performing. Would be a bit more hesitant about him in Tests though, but he'd be a very good back-up to Panesar.

Craig

World Traveller
One for the "makes a mockery of international sport" pile imo, whatever the qualification rules may say to the contrary. Lovely guy and, in his time, a great bowler, but I wouldn't want anyone who's played for another country to represent England.
That's a fair point. Surprised we haven't gone down the track of rugby and football in the one country only rule.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These days, one spinner isn't often needed in a Test at any of the grounds in England (or South Africa, or New Zealand), never mind two.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Spose if he does well enough for Surrey then he'll be in the frame, but Lords wouldnt like it, it would take some very convincing performances from Saqlain and prolonged mediocrity from Monty for him to actually be selected.
Must admit I havent seen him bowl since about 2002/03, however he appears to have had alot of injury troubles since then and were he to put a full season together it wouldnt suprise me to see him do very well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the last 4 seasons, Saqlain has played 12 First-Class matches.

How on Earth is anyone like this even remotely up for consideration as a Test player?

In the last 3 seasons he has played 12 List-A one-day games, conceding well over 5-an-over.

How on Earth is anyone like this even remotely up for consideration as a ODI player?

FBU

International Debutant
Obviously why Pakistan don't want him. Even Ireland didn't want to keep him.

masterblaster

International Captain
I'm a believer of the whole form is temporary, class is permanant ideology and Saqlain at his peak was a terrific bowler, one of the best finger spinners in recent times. Unfortunately, he may have fallen off a bit, but England may benefit from his services in the ODI game. I'd certainly include him in my touring party that's for sure.