• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The forgotten non-Test Match that wasn't

Slow Love™

International Captain
But there was just no point to what they wanted. Denness wasn't going to impose more punishments in the next match. It would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever had he stood in the Centurion "Test".
But it would have been an offence for him to do so (stand in the match) - I think it's just the symbolism of the "victory". That his career was ended shortly after would have been icing on the cake (whether that was solely due to heart surgery or India's machinations, I can't say).

The BCCI have obviously been known to play the odd game of brinksmanship with the ICC, not saying they're always wrong, but they clearly seek to impose a cost for when they feel offended against, and Denness probably goes down as one of those costs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They might like to think so, of course - Match-Referees are an ever-changing breed in any case, and there is the heart surgery issue you mentioned too. I doubt the end of Denness' career had anything to do with Dalmiya.

Anyway, in this case it was basically I$C$C 1 B$C$C$I 0 - Dalmiya, in Graeme Wright's words, "knew he couldn't trust his hand against Speed's". Denness's removal came at a cost, and in what followed it was Speed who emerged "victor".

I doubt Denness holds any regret, other I hope than maybe thinking he was a bit harsh on Tendulkar, the last man to abuse the repute of the game.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Anyway, in this case it was basically I$C$C 1 B$C$C$I 0 - Dalmiya, in Graeme Wright's words, "knew he couldn't trust his hand against Speed's". Denness's removal came at a cost, and in what followed it was Speed who emerged "victor".
Interesting - I guess it must have been just around the time Speed moved across from being ACB CEO. What specifically does the Dalmiya quote pertain to?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"(Dalmiya) epitomises the progressive, post-imperial, nuclear India. He is both poker player and politician. At the eleventh hour he knew he couldn't trust his hand against Speed's, but he knew he held the better cards when he wagered an extra ODI against England against next summer's [2002] Oval Test."

Think Speed had been in I$C$C office for round about a year BTW.

Slow Love™

International Captain
"(Dalmiya) epitomises the progressive, post-imperial, nuclear India. He is both poker player and politician. At the eleventh hour he knew he couldn't trust his hand against Speed's, but he knew he held the better cards when he wagered an extra ODI against England against next summer's [2002] Oval Test."

Think Speed had been in I$C$C office for round about a year BTW.
Ah, I thought he'd taken over in the second half of 2001, my mistake. Think he was given a three year term, he's as hard to remove as Musharraf so Dalmiya was probably right.

Matt79

Global Moderator
They might like to think so, of course - Match-Referees are an ever-changing breed in any case, and there is the heart surgery issue you mentioned too. I doubt the end of Denness' career had anything to do with Dalmiya.

I doubt Denness holds any regret, other I hope than maybe thinking he was a bit harsh on Tendulkar, the last man to abuse the repute of the game.
The $ signs were funny for while, but they make this part of the sentence almost impossible to read, you realise?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If denness's standards were used in this series then most bowlers of both team would be banned in this series.
Lee would be banned for a few months for not appealing to umpires and just celebrating before.
What irked indians was that south african's were appealing way more vociferously but for the same charges weren only brought against us.
The ball tampering charges against tendulkar were for cleaning the ball which was ridiculous.
Still remember the press conference after the charges by the head of Sa cricket board with denness sitting besides him.Ravi shastri and boycott(i think) were covering the game for espn and just in middle of live broadcast warded off onto the conference.
The mike came to shastri to ask a question ,he asked some question to denness that why were then the south african's not punished.The head of the SA CB at that time replied
that mike could not answer,then shastri retorted "Then why is here then?we know how he looks like.We do not want to be reminded of he looks like,his rotten face".somebody else screamed from behind"he is here to take the mickey out of us".
Then geoff boycott took the mike and absolutely lambasted denness.
The fury vented at denness at that conference was unbearable and dennes was almost about to cry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If denness's standards were used in this series then most bowlers of both team would be banned in this series.
Lee would be banned for a few months for not appealing to umpires and just celebrating before.
Yes, and he should be too. Can't stand that and absolutely hate to see it go unpunished.
What irked indians was that south african's were appealing way more vociferously but for the same charges weren only brought against us.
The ball tampering charges against tendulkar were for cleaning the ball which was ridiculous.
The ball-tampering charges were poorly brought, undoubtedly. I'm often a little dubious about charges for over-appealing, and regrettably I don't remember the match with sufficient clarity to be able to comment on the respective vociferousness of both sides.

Either way, I maintain that had the charge against Tendulkar not been brought, nothing much would have happened.
Still remember the press conference after the charges by the head of Sa cricket board with denness sitting besides him.Ravi shastri and boycott(i think) were covering the game for espn and just in middle of live broadcast warded off onto the conference.
The mike came to shastri to ask a question ,he asked some question to denness that why were then the south african's not punished.The head of the SA CB at that time replied that mike could not answer,then shastri retorted "Then why is here then?we know how he looks like.We do not want to be reminded of he looks like,his rotten face".somebody else screamed from behind"he is here to take the mickey out of us".
Then geoff boycott took the mike and absolutely lambasted denness.
The fury vented at denness at that conference was unbearable and dennes was almost about to cry.
Yep, poor form from the likes of Shastri and Boycott. Expect better from both of them. Mind, Boycott and he have 30 years of history, and Geoffrey's always known how to nurse a grudge, so perhaps not terribly surprising.