• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcom Marshall was the best Pacer ever....Akram!

Choora

State Regular
Speaking exclusively with Wisden CricInfo during the Double Wicket World Championship in St. Lucia, Wasim Akram spoke of his excitement at his new role at Hampshire.

What approach would Wasim be taking to his spell at the Rose Bowl? "I want to go there as a team man, and help the new captain grow into his role, working with him and the players to analyse the game while we're playing."

Wasim is respectful of the legacy of great overseas players who have played for Hampshire. He singles out West Indies legend Malcolm Marshall. "Malcolm Marshall was the best fast bowler I've ever seen, the best ever in cricketing history. He could analyse a batsman in a split second, and go straight over to the captain with a plan of attack."

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He was found to be the best pacer ever in a Cricketweb poll not long back, wasn't he? It is arguable, but he is definitely up there as far as aggressive, varied and penetrative fast bowling is concerned. His lack of height and build when compared to the regular fast bowler only stresses his wonderful bowling skills.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Talking of pace bowlers born in the West Indies, I went to a talk on Sunday night which just happened to have talk from Gladestone Small, and I got his autograph :)

Sorry I couldn't find another place to put this, just ignore me, it's the 1st famous cricketer I've met, I've seen a few but not met them.

For those Aussies who don't know who he is...he took 5-48 to skittle you lot out for 140odd in 1986 :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Talking of pace bowlers born in the West Indies, I went to a talk on Sunday night which just happened to have talk from Gladestone Small, and I got his autograph :)
:!( When I started going to Cricket, he was playing, and ALWAYS refused autographs, the no-necked twit.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
:!( When I started going to Cricket, he was playing, and ALWAYS refused autographs, the no-necked twit.
Hahaha, well now's your chance, he's finished playing :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's sure hard to argue with Marshall's stats on all wickets and the testimony of batsmen who faced him suggests he was something really special.

I never saw him at his best (or quickest) but what I saw, I thought he was awesome. He had everything Lillee had except the height. It never disadvantaged him in any way, though. The complete fast bowler.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gladstone said he thought Hadlee the bowler was one of the best ever in his speach.

krkode

State Captain
Although never having seen these bowlers in action, myself, I too would rate Marshall and Hadlee as the best bowlers ever. They could win matches single handedly. :wow:

Top_Cat

Hadlee was brilliant too. I find it impossible to separate Marshall, Hadlee and Lillee of guys I've personally seen bowl. McGrath is yet to retire so I can't really make any firm conclusions about him as yet but when he retires, I won't be surprised if he has a similar or better record than all those guys.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not being bias because Hadlee is from NZ, but he was just unbelievable IMO. I once heard a quote, I think it was on the ESPN Legends of Cricket saying that if you put a sixpence on the pitch he'd be able to hit it 7 or 8 times out of 10 attempts.

I just loved the way he cruelly exposed some very good batsmens techniques & then exploited them time & time again.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I have seen both Hadlee and Marshall in action....and there is no doubt in my opinion that Marshall is the better of the two and for the greatest fast bowler's trophy he is right up there with Dennis Lilee and in my opinion its a toss up between the two.My pick would be Marshall just because I haven't seen Lilee live(only some videos).

But I would rate Michael Holding and Curtley Ambrose ahead of Hadlee.

Top_Cat

But I would rate Michael Holding and Curtley Ambrose ahead of Hadlee.
Holding maybe but I dunno if Curtly was quite as proficient at dismantling top-order batsmen until later in his career. From 1991 until around 1994, Curtly was just unstoppable, though...........

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I personally do not rate Hadlee in the same category as Marshall and Lillee, as Hadlee was not ex[press pace most of his career.

Once retired McGrath will put up a strong case for the best ever.

Wasim said Marshall is the best because he is playing for Hampshire and Marshall is dead, if these two weren not true he would probably not say that.

Marshall was the best IMO.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So what if Hadlee wasn't express pace, during the early & mid parts of his career Hadlee was up around 145 k's which isn't that slow.

Hadlee's record is phenomenal for a bowler who didn't get much assistance from the other bowlers in his team.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Holding maybe but I dunno if Curtly was quite as proficient at dismantling top-order batsmen until later in his career. From 1991 until around 1994, Curtly was just unstoppable, though...........
Come on.... when Ambrose started Marshall was still around to do the damage, but once the responsibility shifted he basically blasted through innings with able support from Walsh and Bishop in some occasions.But he was the man after Marshall was gone.No doubt about it.

Hadlee was one of the greatest and his stats prove it.But I think people like Marshall, Lilee,Holding and others just possessed that aura that could dismiss a batsman before a ball was bowled and that's an area where Hadlee lacked.

Top_Cat

Come on.... when Ambrose started Marshall was still around to do the damage, but once the responsibility shifted he basically blasted through innings with able support from Walsh and Bishop in some occasions.But he was the man after Marshall was gone.No doubt about it.

Hadlee was one of the greatest and his stats prove it.But I think people like Marshall, Lilee,Holding and others just possessed that aura that could dismiss a batsman before a ball was bowled and that's an area where Hadlee lacked.
Yeah, you're right. Don't get me wrong, Curtly was one of my most hated bowlers (in terms of how he used to regularly destroy the Aussies :)) and I guess that's why us Aussies tend to give Hadlee much credit. My attitude to Curtly went something like this: "Geez he's destroying us again but damn, he looks good doing it!"

yohanna

Banned
royGilchrist said:

Once retired McGrath will put up a strong case for the best ever.

Wasim said Marshall is the best because he is playing for Hampshire and Marshall is dead, if these two weren not true he would probably not say that.
I don't think Akram said that just because he's going to play for Hamshire for which Marshall used to play. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen M Marshall in his prime, i think Marshall was the best ever & the most feared bowler to have ever lived!

Yeah, if not the best, Malcome was probably among the top three pacers of all time, pure class.

I wonder what Akram has to say about his protege Nehra? surely Waseem must be full of praises for the best left armer in the game tday!

Top_Cat

I wonder what Akram has to say about his protege Nehra? surely Waseem must be full of praises for the best left armer in the game tday!
Zaheer Khan doesn't come into it? How about Chaminda Vaas??