Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malcom Marshall was the best Pacer ever....Akram!

State Regular

Malcom Marshall was the best Pacer ever....Akram!

Speaking exclusively with Wisden CricInfo during the Double Wicket World Championship in St. Lucia, Wasim Akram spoke of his excitement at his new role at Hampshire.

What approach would Wasim be taking to his spell at the Rose Bowl? "I want to go there as a team man, and help the new captain grow into his role, working with him and the players to analyse the game while we're playing."

Wasim is respectful of the legacy of great overseas players who have played for Hampshire. He singles out West Indies legend Malcolm Marshall. "Malcolm Marshall was the best fast bowler I've ever seen, the best ever in cricketing history. He could analyse a batsman in a split second, and go straight over to the captain with a plan of attack."
    ------------------------------------

He was found to be the best pacer ever in a Cricketweb poll not long back, wasn't he? It is arguable, but he is definitely up there as far as aggressive, varied and penetrative fast bowling is concerned. His lack of height and build when compared to the regular fast bowler only stresses his wonderful bowling skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Rik
    Talking of pace bowlers born in the West Indies, I went to a talk on Sunday night which just happened to have talk from Gladestone Small, and I got his autograph

Sorry I couldn't find another place to put this, just ignore me, it's the 1st famous cricketer I've met, I've seen a few but not met them.

For those Aussies who don't know who he is...he took 5-48 to skittle you lot out for 140odd in 1986
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Pinball Champion!
    Never had the pleasure of seeing him unfortunatly
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rik
    Talking of pace bowlers born in the West Indies, I went to a talk on Sunday night which just happened to have talk from Gladestone Small, and I got his autograph
    :!( When I started going to Cricket, he was playing, and ALWAYS refused autographs, the no-necked twit.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    :!( When I started going to Cricket, he was playing, and ALWAYS refused autographs, the no-necked twit.
    Hahaha, well now's your chance, he's finished playing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    It's sure hard to argue with Marshall's stats on all wickets and the testimony of batsmen who faced him suggests he was something really special.

I never saw him at his best (or quickest) but what I saw, I thought he was awesome. He had everything Lillee had except the height. It never disadvantaged him in any way, though. The complete fast bowler.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Rik
    Gladstone said he thought Hadlee the bowler was one of the best ever in his speach.

Although never having seen these bowlers in action, myself, I too would rate Marshall and Hadlee as the best bowlers ever. They could win matches single handedly. :wow:

Hadlee was brilliant too. I find it impossible to separate Marshall, Hadlee and Lillee of guys I've personally seen bowl. McGrath is yet to retire so I can't really make any firm conclusions about him as yet but when he retires, I won't be surprised if he has a similar or better record than all those guys.

Tim
    Im not being bias because Hadlee is from NZ, but he was just unbelievable IMO. I once heard a quote, I think it was on the ESPN Legends of Cricket saying that if you put a sixpence on the pitch he'd be able to hit it 7 or 8 times out of 10 attempts.

I just loved the way he cruelly exposed some very good batsmens techniques & then exploited them time & time again.

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    I have seen both Hadlee and Marshall in action....and there is no doubt in my opinion that Marshall is the better of the two and for the greatest fast bowler's trophy he is right up there with Dennis Lilee and in my opinion its a toss up between the two.My pick would be Marshall just because I haven't seen Lilee live(only some videos).

But I would rate Michael Holding and Curtley Ambrose ahead of Hadlee.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

But I would rate Michael Holding and Curtley Ambrose ahead of Hadlee.
    Holding maybe but I dunno if Curtly was quite as proficient at dismantling top-order batsmen until later in his career. From 1991 until around 1994, Curtly was just unstoppable, though...........

State 12th Man
    I personally do not rate Hadlee in the same category as Marshall and Lillee, as Hadlee was not ex[press pace most of his career.

Once retired McGrath will put up a strong case for the best ever.

Wasim said Marshall is the best because he is playing for Hampshire and Marshall is dead, if these two weren not true he would probably not say that.

Marshall was the best IMO.

Tim
    So what if Hadlee wasn't express pace, during the early & mid parts of his career Hadlee was up around 145 k's which isn't that slow.

Hadlee's record is phenomenal for a bowler who didn't get much assistance from the other bowlers in his team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information