• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ to pull out of Sri Lanka tour?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well If they do, I can forsee big problems for NZ cricket.
They are now setting a dangerous prescedent for themselves & soon they'll be refusing to travel anywhere.

At the end of the year, Pakistan or South Africa may decide to boycott their tour of NZ, and everyone at NZ cricket will be complaining. If NZ are worried about SARS then they need to do everything medically possible to avoid it, yes even wearing those silly looking masks but IMO they have to go to Sri Lanka or the ICC will start to lose sympathy for them.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Agree with u there tim

Nz has to rebuild its side and the morale is quite low i bet in the nz camp and we have to do everything to get things right , its not good in cricketing terms if we go around boycotting sri lanka cause then there will be problems as said in the ICC and sri lanka may refuse to tour us when things are clear with the sars to maybe...

Just dont want any more problems to occur they shouldnt even think much about not touring ..

put all their moneys together and buy a jet that goes straight to sri lanka then if u dont want to go via singapore...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I see what you guys are getting at but saftey has to come first. Think about it if they do go over there and someone does get sick.

There main worry is going through Singapore Airport. Maybe they need to look at a different option there.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sure NZ can find a way to avoid going to Singapore, or taking adequate precautions otherwise. Remember that there are many people using those airports, and you can be sure the authorities are taking adequate precautions.

If NZ doesnt find a way to make it to Sri Lanka, they can stay home from now on. They wont be missed.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
full_length said:
If NZ doesnt find a way to make it to Sri Lanka, they can stay home from now on. They wont be missed.
Oh yes, if NZ dropped out of this one too....then I am sure NZ cricket will have to take the heat.

I am sure there are ways to avoid South East Asia while travelling to SL if they wanted to, if that's the issue.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they don't have to go through Singapore, they can take the longer route through Perth so thats the most likely option.

The NZ players should be keen as mustard to go to Sri Lanka because they have a golden chance to strengthen their 3rd placing on the test table with Sri Lanka in dissaray & with Jayasuriya stepping down as captain after the Sharjah Tournament.

Rich2001

International Captain
Tamara said:
I see what you guys are getting at but saftey has to come first. Think about it if they do go over there and someone does get sick.

There main worry is going through Singapore Airport. Maybe they need to look at a different option there.
I totally agree, afterall it's a persons life and isn't worth the risk just for a game.

However as Tim stated if there is indeed an alternative route, then there really isn't an excuse in not going, as there is no risk in going through Australia
(apart from a hiding by their cricket team ;) )

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rich2001 said:
However as Tim stated if there is indeed an alternative route, then there really isn't an excuse in not going, as there is no risk in going through Australia
(apart from a hiding by their cricket team ;) )
Ofcourse there are alternative routes....NZ board can charter a plane if they want to and fly whichever way they want to, maybe even fly non-stop to Colombo.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Heres something from the NZ cricket website.
---------------------------------------------------
A primary worry for the cricketers is the transit through Singapore, where, according to official figures, 98 people have been infected by the virus and four have died. If the tour does go ahead, it is likely that the team will avoid Singapore and travel via Perth instead. So far, no case of SARS has been detected in Sri Lanka.
---------------------------------------------------

That is looking positive.
I know NZ will make the desicion best for their players.

Choora

State Regular
Abandoning the tour will be senseless and it would end up NZ being left alone in the cricket World.NZ should really travel to SL by an alternative route!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it appears NZ are going to do everything possible to go which pleases me because I thought they were getting far too precious about things, in saying that you also have to agree that safety of travel is paramount.