• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels a chucker?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah people have been suspecting it for years but they only decided to take action yesterday.
Yeah about time I reckon. His quicker ball is so blatant its ridiculous.
Likewise, I'm amazed it's taken until now. Remember Bucknor signalling to the third-Umpire in 2005 after a quicker-ball and still nothing was done.

That was the first time I noticed, but I presume it's been the same since he first picked-up a ball.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
His and Afridi's quicker balls are blatant chucks when it reaches 120k and above. Below that it's bit OK.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The wrist isn't really going to help him gain more than 2 or 3 mph TBH.

That said, I've never seen one hell of a lot wrong with Afridi's quicker-ball. But nor have I ever taken much notice of his elbow during the course of it - I'm normally too flabbergasted that he can get it down at 80mph off 3 or 4 paces (that's remarkable with or without a little extra elbow-flexation).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The wrist isn't really going to help him gain more than 2 or 3 mph TBH.
TBF, it is.

All bowlers get their pace from roughly the same areas but in different proportions.

Computer breakdowns have shown that some bowlers get 5%+ of their pace from their wrist action. Others very little.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No? Can't say, again, that I've ever taken a great deal of notice. Please elaborate.
It bends backwards and goes behind the ball completely. Take a look at his delivery in the T20 Bowl Out, it is evident there how his wrist dictates his action by wrapping around the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, it is.

All bowlers get their pace from roughly the same areas but in different proportions.

Computer breakdowns have shown that some bowlers get 5%+ of their pace from their wrist action. Others very little.
Right. Had always presumed it'd be fairly equal for all bowlers. And I know I've tried adding extra wrist snap to my delivery and it's had little to no effect (other than meaning I had no clue where it was going, instead of my usual next-to-no-clue where it was going :)) so perhaps that clouds the issue for me.

The only bowler I've ever seen really obviously using a lot of wrist-snap is Shaun Pollock. Though I read that Devon Malcolm did something similar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It bends backwards and goes behind the ball completely. Take a look at his delivery in the T20 Bowl Out, it is evident there how his wrist dictates his action by wrapping around the ball.
Actually, now you mention it I have seen something to that effect, and having just had a quick look some footage of his bowling-action it's visible even in real-time.

I'd still be interested to find-out just how much of his speed it's estimated to be responsible for.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Tbh Afridi would make a pretty good seamer if he was dedicated and disciplined enough.

I suppose we can just be content though with his one of a kind brand of spin bowling though.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Afridi's not known to turn the ball much, but like Kumble uses drift and changes of pace. Samuels on the other hand has a suspicious elbow bend on his quicker ball.

Stuart Clark's wrist position also isn't very common when he bowls.