• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA Rebel Tour players.

Andrew Pollock

School Boy/Girl Captain
How many players from the various rebel tour of South Africa, have repersented their counties again,

I remember T Alderman playing for AUS, and Gooch for Eng.

Also K Hughes might of played a ODI?

Trevor Hohns became a selector for AUS

Any other?

I assumed a lot played domestic.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There were many.

Off the top of my head for England- Gatting, Jarvis, Larkins, Emburey and Foster

IIRC, Ezra Moseley got a life ban but was able to return and played against England in 1990

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
From the English tour in 1982, Gooch, Emburey & Willey were all immediately picked when their bans were over. John Lever also played again, albeit only for one test. And Larkins was picked about 5 years after the ban, ironically because of others going on the Gatting tour. IIRC other player who went in 1982 included Woolmer, Boycott, Humpage, Old, Hendrick & Knott. Maybe Underwood too. It sounds an impressive list, but most of them were virtually at the end of their test careers anyway.

From the 1989 tour, as Goughy said, Gatting, Jarvis, Foster & Emburey (again) all played test cricket again. I think others who went included Broad, Robinson, Dilley & Maynard. The keeper may have been Bruce French. Maybe Kim Barnett went too. Again, most of the squad were either past it or never very good in the first place, and there any number of malcontents available after the fiascos that were English test cricket in the late 1980's. That's the only reason more of them didn't play again - you couldn't say that the MCC wholeheartedly endorsed Gleneagles.

Going back to your original question, I think Maynard may have played a test or two afterwards as well.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The other 1982 players were Amiss, Sidebottom (who played one test after the ban) and Les Taylor (who also, IIRC, played test cricket afterwards).

The other players from 1989 were Athey, Wells (who played once in 1995), Ellison, Thomas, Cowdrey & David Graveney.

archie mac

International Coach
First Rebel Tour

Kim Hughes (C) WA
Terry Alderman WA
Tom Hogan WA
Greg Shipperd WA
Graham Yallop VIC
Rodney Hogg VIC
Michael Taylor VIC
John Dyson NSW
Steve Rixon NSW
Steve Smith NSW
Trevor Hohns QLD
John Maguire QLD
Carl Rackemann QLD
Mike Haysman SA
Rod McCurdy SA
Peter Faulkner TAS

Kepler Wessels joined the team for the 2nd tour:)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Does anybody have a list of all the tours and players

I remember AUS in the late 80's, ENG in the early 80's and WI
1981/82 - England
1982/83 - WI
1983/84 - WI
1985/86 - Aus
1986/87 - Aus
1989/90 - England

I think that's it. The WI sides included some players who had been excellent or at least very good - Kallicheran, Rowe, Clarke, Croft, King, Julien, Bacchus, Murray, Stephenson - and the rest were makeweights. You can easily find the lineups on cricinfo / match & series archive / year / other matches. There was also an interesting piece in TWC about the WI tours and what happened to the players. It may well be available on cricinfo - possibly called "The Unforgiven".

EDIT
There was also a Sri lankan tour in November/December 1982
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1982-83/OTHERS+ICC/AROSA-SL_IN_RSA/

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
By far the funniest is Monty Lynch who went on the rebel West Indian Tour in 1983/84 and was inexplicably chosen for England in the ODI series against the West Indies in 1988. He was over 30 and never anywhere near good enough to play for either country.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
By far the funniest is Monty Lynch who went on the rebel West Indian Tour in 1983/84 and was inexplicably chosen for England in the ODI series against the West Indies in 1988. He was over 30 and never anywhere near good enough to play for either country.
There were times when I didn't think he was good enough to play for Surrey, who really weren't very good in the 1980's. Yes, I blinked at his name on the scoresheet when I looked up the tours earlier. As I did at those of Gooch, Emburey & Willey for a couple of the SA sides who played against WI on those tours. I don't quite get why they were allowed to play tests again so quickly if they played out there after the tour that got them banned for three years, but that's another matter I suppose.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
First Rebel Tour

Kim Hughes (C) WA
Terry Alderman WA
Tom Hogan WA
Greg Shipperd WA
Graham Yallop VIC
Rodney Hogg VIC
Michael Taylor VIC
John Dyson NSW
Steve Rixon NSW
Steve Smith NSW
Trevor Hohns QLD
John Maguire QLD
Carl Rackemann QLD
Mike Haysman SA
Rod McCurdy SA
Peter Faulkner TAS

Kepler Wessels joined the team for the 2nd tour:)
Rackemann played again didn't he? I vaguely recall him saving a test against England in 1990/91.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep. :@ The game at The SCG in 1990\91. Ridiculously, the last 4 faced 200 deliveries. England would have had a relatively straightforward run-chase but for that.

That was his final game. Actually played 7 Tests post-ban, but went wicketless in his last 2.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's possibly worth noting that in the same year as the first English rebel tour (1980) an official British Lions tour went to SA and played 4 tests versus the Springboks. Union was even more reticent than cricket to sever the ties to Apartheid-era South Africa. The New Zealand Cavaliers who toured in 1986 were unofficial, but the players participating only received paltry 2-test bans.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's possibly worth noting that in the same year as the first English rebel tour (1980) an official British Lions tour went to SA and played 4 tests versus the Springboks. Union was even more reticent than cricket to sever the ties to Apartheid-era South Africa. The New Zealand Cavaliers who toured in 1986 were unofficial, but the players participating only received paltry 2-test bans.
I suppose international RU being a predominantly white game, there wasn't the pressure that the white cricketing nations experienced from WI & the Asian block. I doubt whether attitudes at Lord's were any different to those at Twickenham though. The international opposition would only have been an issue if they were due to host an olympics or commonwealth games, I should have thought. And going to SA was easier than dealing with the likely crowd problems that would happen if the springboks toured elsewhere.

In the 1980's, there were those arguing for the sort of white/brown split in the cricketing world that has been proposed in some of the darker recesses of CW recently. Especially after Gooch & co got themselves banned after their 1982 jolly, and again when the 1988 tour to India was cancelled. Very unedifying it all was too.

Andrew Pollock

School Boy/Girl Captain
After Rebel Tour
Kim Hughes (C) WA
Terry Alderman WA
Tom Hogan WA: Played for WA then WA selector
Greg Shipperd WA: Played for TAS, coached TAS & VIC
Graham Yallop VIC
Rodney Hogg VIC :VIC selector
Michael Taylor VIC: Played for TAS
John Dyson NSW: Coached Sri Lanka
Steve Rixon NSW: Played NSW, coached NSW & NZ
Steve Smith NSW: Played 2 more season with NSW
Trevor Hohns QLD: Made debut for AUS ’89 played 7 test captained QLD, AUS selector
John Maguire QLD:
Carl Rackemann QLD: 7 Test Coached ZIM
Mike Haysman SA:
Rod McCurdy SA:
Peter Faulkner TAS: Played TAS