Thread: NZ Selectors on Money-Spinning Jolly to Aus

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

NZ Selectors on Money-Spinning Jolly to Aus

Interesting to hear in the commentary box in the latest test that Sir Richard Hadlee and Dion Nash are on some money spinning jaunt in Australia at the moment, playing beach cricket when there's a whole suite of domestic games on for them to consider in their jobs as national selectors

Anyone else willing to accept the hypocrisy of these guys going over to raise some cash for themselves whilst they should be doing their jobs whilst telling guys like Tuffey (and potentially Bond) that they can't play for NZ if they play in the rebel Indian 20:20 competition.

Add to this, the fact that in 8 matches, Paddles hasn't scored a run, taken a wicket or held a catch.

What the hell are they thinking??
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Am enjoying the beach cricket atm. Can't see why they have to be tied up in NZ, especially since they can follow proceedings back home pretty easily from here. Not like they're all the way over in America, just 3 or so hours away.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Am enjoying the beach cricket atm. can't see why they have to be tied up in NZ, especially since they can follow proceedings back home pretty easily from here. Not like they're all the way over in America, just 3 or so hours away.
    You get the domestic coverage of NZ cricket over there? They should be keeping an eye on players like How and Elliott (who have done well today). Should we be complaining about our strange selections when we let our selectors go on jaunts like this without complaint?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Both probably realise there no money in being soley contracted by NZC and like Bond and Tuffey they need to look at other things to earn a better living. Maybe the Beach Cricket thing pays them more for this period then NZC.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Both probably realise there no money in being soley contracted by NZC and like Bond and Tuffey they need to look at other things to earn a better living. Maybe the Beach Cricket thing pays them more for this period then NZC.
    I'm sure it does, and I can understand their decision if they hadn't been condemning players for doing exactly the same thing (by joining the rebel league in India)

Frankly, I'm pretty sure Dion Nash makes a mint from his business activities (which must also eat into his selecting time) and whilst I'm have no idea about Hadlee's financial activity, I doubt he really needs to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    You get the domestic coverage of NZ cricket over there? They should be keeping an eye on players like How and Elliott (who have done well today). Should we be complaining about our strange selections when we let our selectors go on jaunts like this without complaint?
    As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either. They can follow their progress, speak to colleagues that were there and generally do the same thing they do in NZ as I'm sure they don't attend alot of the domestic matches back home either.You can follow something closely without having to be there, non-issue for mine.

As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either.
    Yup. Other than the 20:20 competition for which they show highlights occasionally for the subsequent 12 months. They'll occasionally show a one day game or two as well.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Well the Beach Cricket thing is really just a chance for older players to get a game together. This thing a little bit more comericalised so it noticed more but generally each side has guys heavierly involved in domestic cricket back home. Also back when India played senior series with Pakistan and Sri Lanka, we had some selectors and admin playing in those matches. So really its nothing new and it not like it goes for six month. A month at the most and they can go back NZ during the week and comeback on the weekends.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    The only reason that Ian Smith brought it up is because he's not over there. Jealousy.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

How long does it go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    The only reason that Ian Smith brought it up is because he's not over there. Jealousy.
    Hahaha! Him and Doully both, no doubt!

As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either. They can follow their progress, speak to colleagues that were there and generally do the same thing they do in NZ as I'm sure they don't attend alot of the domestic matches back home either.You can follow something closely without having to be there, non-issue for mine.
    Actually, the selectors attend quite a lot of domestic matches - often during radio reports, you hear the local commentator mention the presence of a selector there.

Thought it was part of a selectors job to attend as many FC games as possible. Even I can tell you that your not going to gain much just looking at scorecards.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Mahjong Champion!
    The Beach Cricket games proceeds all go to charity...so stop whingeing
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    The Beach Cricket games proceeds all go to charity...so stop whingeing
    Haha yeah, what monsters.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Thread Information