• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Selectors on Money-Spinning Jolly to Aus

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to hear in the commentary box in the latest test that Sir Richard Hadlee and Dion Nash are on some money spinning jaunt in Australia at the moment, playing beach cricket when there's a whole suite of domestic games on for them to consider in their jobs as national selectors

Anyone else willing to accept the hypocrisy of these guys going over to raise some cash for themselves whilst they should be doing their jobs whilst telling guys like Tuffey (and potentially Bond) that they can't play for NZ if they play in the rebel Indian 20:20 competition.

Add to this, the fact that in 8 matches, Paddles hasn't scored a run, taken a wicket or held a catch.

What the hell are they thinking??

pasag

RTDAS
Am enjoying the beach cricket atm. Can't see why they have to be tied up in NZ, especially since they can follow proceedings back home pretty easily from here. Not like they're all the way over in America, just 3 or so hours away.

HeathDavisSpeed

Am enjoying the beach cricket atm. can't see why they have to be tied up in NZ, especially since they can follow proceedings back home pretty easily from here. Not like they're all the way over in America, just 3 or so hours away.
You get the domestic coverage of NZ cricket over there? They should be keeping an eye on players like How and Elliott (who have done well today). Should we be complaining about our strange selections when we let our selectors go on jaunts like this without complaint?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Both probably realise there no money in being soley contracted by NZC and like Bond and Tuffey they need to look at other things to earn a better living. Maybe the Beach Cricket thing pays them more for this period then NZC.

HeathDavisSpeed

Both probably realise there no money in being soley contracted by NZC and like Bond and Tuffey they need to look at other things to earn a better living. Maybe the Beach Cricket thing pays them more for this period then NZC.
I'm sure it does, and I can understand their decision if they hadn't been condemning players for doing exactly the same thing (by joining the rebel league in India)

Frankly, I'm pretty sure Dion Nash makes a mint from his business activities (which must also eat into his selecting time) and whilst I'm have no idea about Hadlee's financial activity, I doubt he really needs to do this.

pasag

RTDAS
You get the domestic coverage of NZ cricket over there? They should be keeping an eye on players like How and Elliott (who have done well today). Should we be complaining about our strange selections when we let our selectors go on jaunts like this without complaint?
As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either. They can follow their progress, speak to colleagues that were there and generally do the same thing they do in NZ as I'm sure they don't attend alot of the domestic matches back home either.You can follow something closely without having to be there, non-issue for mine.

HeathDavisSpeed

As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either.
Yup. Other than the 20:20 competition for which they show highlights occasionally for the subsequent 12 months. They'll occasionally show a one day game or two as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well the Beach Cricket thing is really just a chance for older players to get a game together. This thing a little bit more comericalised so it noticed more but generally each side has guys heavierly involved in domestic cricket back home. Also back when India played senior series with Pakistan and Sri Lanka, we had some selectors and admin playing in those matches. So really its nothing new and it not like it goes for six month. A month at the most and they can go back NZ during the week and comeback on the weekends.

Perm

The only reason that Ian Smith brought it up is because he's not over there. Jealousy.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
As far as I'm aware they don't have domestic coverage in NZ either. They can follow their progress, speak to colleagues that were there and generally do the same thing they do in NZ as I'm sure they don't attend alot of the domestic matches back home either.You can follow something closely without having to be there, non-issue for mine.
Actually, the selectors attend quite a lot of domestic matches - often during radio reports, you hear the local commentator mention the presence of a selector there.

Craig

World Traveller
Thought it was part of a selectors job to attend as many FC games as possible. Even I can tell you that your not going to gain much just looking at scorecards.