• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The perfect cricket family?

Craig

World Traveller
I was thinking the Pollocks for mine. Look at Shaun Pollock, his dad was a top notch fast bowler (and a handy lower order bat), and then his uncle Graeme IMO can go down as an all-time great, or if not one or two rungs below. You have Shaun who has been a great fast bowler and the best number 8 batsman I've seen. If you wanted the best genetics to be good at both, then you have his father and uncle who were two of the best in the business.

I was thinking of Mahendra Nagamootoo who had two fine batsmen as uncles in Alvin Kallicharran and Rohan Kanhai, just too bad he was pretty crap in both batting and bowling.

Is there a more perfect cricket family then the Pollocks?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was thinking the Pollocks for mine. Look at Shaun Pollock, his dad was a top notch fast bowler (and a handy lower order bat), and then his uncle Graeme IMO can go down as an all-time great, or if not one or two rungs below. You have Shaun who has been a great fast bowler and the best number 8 batsman I've seen. If you wanted the best genetics to be good at both, then you have his father and uncle who were two of the best in the business.

I was thinking of Mahendra Nagamootoo who had two fine batsmen as uncles in Alvin Kallicharran and Rohan Kanhai, just too bad he was pretty crap in both batting and bowling.

Is there a more perfect cricket family then the Pollocks?
Bannermans IMO. :ph34r:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Vic Richardson and his three Test playing grandchildren (Chappells) is fairly impressive. Not sure if Renee's a relative.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hanif, Wazir, Mushtaq, Sadiq, Raees, Shoaib (Hanif's son).

5 of the 6 played test cricket, one (Raees) was 12th man.

Beleg

International Regular
Yes, the Mohammad's. All of 'em were fairly good at what they did as well...

Craig

World Traveller
Yep Steve Waugh was a quality ODI bowler before injuries struck him, definatly robbed of getting 200 ODI wickets. Mark Waugh wasn't too bad as a 5th or 6th bowler.

Oh how can I forget about the Headley's (George 2nd to Bradman IMO), the only Grandfather-Father-Son combination ever. Dean Headley, another decent bowler robbed of injury. In an OT kind of way, I find it staggering how many decent bowlers England and New Zealand have lost to injury or have their potential severly reduced.

Craig

World Traveller
Nah, they're gun. Alec Bannerman, Charles Bannerman, Robert Cribb, Wayne Cribb, Mathew Cribb, Graham Cribb, Jesse Cribb, Mark Bergin, Gary Bergin... all gun cricketers, clearly. :ph34r:
Alec Bannerman, once took 3 days to score his highest Test score of 94 :blink: Or at least how the story goes or what I've read.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Charles > Alec.

Anyway, can't believe it's taken until the 15th post to mention William Gilbert, Edward M and G Fred Grace and the rest. How many of them there were, I don't know, but they're the original cricket family. The Mohammads surely second.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Actually a very good case could be made for the contention that the Walkers of Southgate were "the original cricketing family" - not that many on here will have heard of them.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Actually a very good case could be made for the contention that the Walker's of Southgate were "the original cricketing family" - not that many on here will have heard of them.
I think the original idea was that it should be a family with some level of achievement at the highest level of the game, which is the same reason that the Are You Being Served? clan weren't mentioned earlier.

archie mac

International Coach
The Gregory's of Australia were pretty good.

Two brothers (one of them captain) Ned and Dave in the first Test, although they were past their best by then. I think two others from that family played FC cricket.

Ned had a son born on the SCG name Sydney who played the most ever Ashes Tests 52 (from memory), at least one of his brothers played FC cricket and two of his sisters were considered amonst the best in the country in womens cricket.

And then there was Jack from the next generation, a great AR who still holds the record for the fastest ton in Test cricket:)