• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in West Indies Thread

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I remeber Nagamootoo playing in NZ quite a few years ago and I was impressed with him. Haven't heard alot since though.

I think the WI will be competitive but Gayle is a big loss for them.l Is it just one match out??

Also another big loss is Samuals. I am guessing heis still injured. or maybe he isn't. Can someone tell me here.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Do they really want to loose again? Well if they drop their best opener then they will certainly increase their chances...
1/ It's lose...not loose.
2/ There are rules and regulations which must be enforced in order to keep discipline in the camp. They can't just make exceptions for the sake of the opposition.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
India A reached a week late? Why ?

Yes, I'm aware that Gayle later had the choice of playing the domestic tournament. But then he had initially accepted to play the double wicket thing, and he just stuck to the initial plan. After all, the money was good.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
may I add, I dont think anyone is at fault. WICB just applied rules, and not excessively harshly at that (Gayle is dropped for only one test right?).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tamara said:
I remeber Nagamootoo playing in NZ quite a few years ago and I was impressed with him. Haven't heard alot since though.

I think the WI will be competitive but Gayle is a big loss for them.l Is it just one match out??

Also another big loss is Samuals. I am guessing heis still injured. or maybe he isn't. Can someone tell me here.
Samuels isn't injured. He's in the 14.

Re: Gayle; he's only out for one match. Sarwan will also return for the 2nd Test.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes...another post!!!!!!

My XI

Ganga- he's better than Hinds IMO
Smith- despite his 3 consecutive FC ducks, he's still been great in the last couple of years.
Hinds
Lara- this young man may have a future in cricket ;)
Chanderpaul
Samuels- this young man has a good future in cricket
Jacobs
Drakes
Dillon
Collins- much improved Test bowler.
Lawson

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hooper out!

He says that he won't stand in the way of a younger batsman getting a chance.

Thoughts?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Just dug up a couple of articles. Looks like it was poor communication by the BCCI. The India A side itself was picked in a great hurry, and packed off late, with an apology to WICB.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
I think Dillon is going to get hammerd because his natrual length is short and If he bowls that to Ponting, Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, and co he will have no hope.
Yes that certainly explains why he was the best bowler for the WIndies last time they toured Australia...one of the few positivies from that tour.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Yes that certainly explains why he was the best bowler for the WIndies last time they toured Australia...one of the few positivies from that tour.
Yes, Dillon is definitely their best bowler, fast or spin, has been for some time.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hooper out!

He says that he won't stand in the way of a younger batsman getting a chance.

Thoughts?
I thought he still had some cricket left in him and the timing of his withdrawal may just cause an unnecessary ripple in the WI team when its just two days left for the 1st test to start.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
haha yeah

Well A he has changed his bowling style as far as Line & Length since then and B just because he was there best bowler does not mean he bowled well the others were absoulte crap and Dillon was only slightly better.

I watched the whole summer and alot of the wickets he got were quite lucky I would have to say.

Any way the Australian players thought Collin Stuart was there most dangerus bowler when he played and look what happend to him.

I still think he is there best bowler but reading some of the things he has been saying about how he is planing to give the Aussie batsman a though time with the short stuff well I just dont think it will work.

Top_Cat

I watched the whole summer and alot of the wickets he got were quite lucky I would have to say.
What utter rubbish. Other than one early spell in Adelaide where he was atrocious, he bowled very well in a an uphill battle. How many times did he have Michael Slater for example caught behind? Plenty. I've got the footage to prove that most of the wickets he took were deliveries which were on a good line-and-length and moving away to take the edge.

Geez, credit where credit is due. Right now, you're talking like the Aussie team just couldn't put a foot wrong, that all their opponents are useless (not outplayed but useless) and that every remotely talented Aussie FC cricketer could take on the world and win.

Any way the Australian players thought Collin Stuart was there most dangerus bowler when he played and look what happend to him.
I didn't read or hear that at all. All I heard about was how much the Aussies respected the efforts of Merv Dillon.

For the record, Merv took 16 wickets at 29 in the series, a commendable effort considering the circumstances. If it wasn't for him, I think the Aussie batsmen would have REALLY gotten away and demolished the rest of the bowling attack. He touched greatness with his spells on the last two days of the Adelaide Test but in general he was treated with respect by the Aussie batsmen.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont think it was rubish I can clearly remember a number of times when he got some wickets that came about through a bit of luck.

I should give him some more credit because I did just have a look back at some of the tapes and he did get a few good wickets that I did not remember but I still would not say he was outstanding but your right credit were cerdit is due he did well considering.

Adam Gilchrist wrote in the Sydney Hearald (might have been the age) That the Australian batsman were impressed alot with Collin Stuart and that they though he was the most likley to take there wicket when he was bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes...another post!!!!!!

My XI

Ganga- he's better than Hinds IMO
Smith- despite his 3 consecutive FC ducks, he's still been great in the last couple of years.
Hinds
Lara- this young man may have a future in cricket ;)
Chanderpaul
Samuels- this young man has a good future in cricket
Jacobs
Drakes
Dillon
Collins- much improved Test bowler.
Lawson
Did you post this after Hooper walked out, or did you not want him in the side anyway?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Right now, you're talking like the Aussie team just couldn't put a foot wrong, that all their opponents are useless (not outplayed but useless) and that every remotely talented Aussie FC cricketer could take on the world and win.
You mean all that above isn't true?

Well stone me, I was under the impression that no one else deserved to join Australia on a cricket field any more since we're all useless.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:

Hmm, is in the same vein as Caddick's 10 wicket haul was all luck?