• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Double Wicket World Championships

Rich2001

International Captain
S.Afridi's 93 (reduced to 73 on being out twice) was something pretty incredible in the context of the rest of the games.

Pakistan's Shahid Afridi set the Double Wicket World Championship alight this morning with an astonishing display of hitting. In the third match of the day against Zimbabwe, he made a total of 93 runs – reduced to 73 by virtue of being out twice.

He reached his 50 in just 12 balls, and his innings included 11 sixes and 4 fours. Pakistan reached their 50 in just 2.4 overs – Afridi hitting three sixes in each of the second and third overs, including hitting the first ball he faced from Guy Whittall clean out of the ground over long off.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sounds like brilliant fun, the advantage being that you know how long you are going to bat for..But i spose it takes a bit of the skill out of it..

I remember playing it ages ago, gr8 fun!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The NZ pair of Vettori & Oram are doing surprisingly well.
Vettori is showing a bit of his all-round skills.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
GREG BLEWETT!!! cant beleive it, hes more defensivley stiled than martyn,

the best pair thati can think of would be brothers- the lee or waugh brothers - tendulkar and shewag would be good too

Cloete

International Captain
I would love to go and see one of these matches. Also it was good to see Davison playing again :)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah the Lee brothers would do pritty well.

I was also thinking what the hell is Blewett doing in there.

Big Don Nash would be a good selection as well anyone remember his 60-28 balls against WA a few years ago.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
This would be great to watch. Probably not so good for the cricketers themselves though. Cairns, Adams would be good. Even Astle would be good if he got going like his 222 runs.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I have always though of Cairns as the type of player who need's time to get set before he can hit out really well. Same with Astle.

It's hard to beleve how Astle made that 222 I never really knew he was that good a hitter because I never though he was really strong enough to hit the ball so far.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now those are figures that take a lot of believing...

Scores: Zimbabwe 16 (Whittall -21, Campbell 46, Extras 1)
Bowling Hollioake 6 for 31, Flintoff 1 for 51;

England 112 (Hollioake 56, Flintoff 56, Extras 0)
Bowling Campbell 3 for 80, Whittall 3 for 92
Result: England won by 96 runs

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shahid Afridi injured.

Hope he's ok for coming over to Derbyshire next week - I am soooooo looking forward to watching him in the limited overs stuff.

Apparently he went for a yahoo and ricked his back a bit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How about this great effort?

Australia -21
Blewett -3, Davison -21
Jayawardene 5-41, De Silva 3-26

LOL

Also, the SA way of picking Elworthy and Donald is interesting to say the least...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
What's wrong with Blewett - he can bat and bowl...
Well he can bat but he cant slog he is really not suited to a game were batsman are forced to start sloging it from ball one.

And sorry GB I dident mean to slag of Blewett I respect him as a very good batsman just does not seem suited to this format of game.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ win the Double Wicket tournament

Final:

Sri Lanka 70
(Jayawardene 22, De Silva 47)
(Oram 1-50, Vettori 2-49)

NZ 149
(Jacob Oram 106, Vettori 37)
De Silva (0-82, Jayawardene 2-82)

Oram went nuts and hit a century albeit alot of catches were dropped in the field. 15 sixes in all.

"5.4 Jayawardene to Oram - 6 - oh DEAR oh DEAR, hopeless drop at long on, looked really bad, the crowd jeer and laugh at the poor fielder" hahahaha

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Now those are figures that take a lot of believing...

Scores: Zimbabwe 16 (Whittall -21, Campbell 46, Extras 1)
Bowling Hollioake 6 for 31, Flintoff 1 for 51;

England 112 (Hollioake 56, Flintoff 56, Extras 0)
Bowling Campbell 3 for 80, Whittall 3 for 92
Result: England won by 96 runs
Apparantly at this stage, the 4 players got togther and agreed just play exhibition-type cricket, since both sides were headed out.

Then Pak withdrew and England made the semis!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
As if it wasn't proof enough that he should call it a day "White Lightning" failed to take a wicket in his 3 games, even when everyone was on the slog. :(

Fantastic innings by Oram in the final though :) Even out-did Afridi :)