• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nickname for Aussie Cricket Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Most aussie sports teams have a nickname, even all the state cricket teams have them now. So it is about time the national side had one.

How about The Hammers.

Short for Sledgehammers....

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Surely the art of a good sledge is that it must have some good humour to it. A lot of the replies above show no originality and even less humour. Anyone can cuss, it takes artistry to sledge well, which many of the above posts lacked.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely the art of a good sledge is that it must have some good humour to it. A lot of the replies above show no originality and even less humour. Anyone can cuss, it takes artistry to sledge well, which many of the above posts lacked.

Give some examples then, oh great one. This really isn't a sledging thread anyway...

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
My original post had some wit to it, to link sledging to sledgehammers and the hardened way Australia plays. Just posting "w****ers", is just unimaginative, whereas to say they should be say"the Haddlees" would be cleverer.

Perm

My original post had some wit to it, to link sledging to sledgehammers and the hardened way Australia plays. Just posting "w****ers", is just unimaginative, whereas to say they should be say"the Haddlees" would be cleverer.
Maybe, but wankers was much funnier than sledgehammers, which was pathetically dire.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
The best nicknames for me come from clever plays on words or attributes....

Eg Swa for someone named Healy.
Afghanistan for Mark Waugh
Tugga for Steve Waugh

Sometimes a clever play on words doesn't come off but I still think it better then just uncreatively using abusive language.

Last edited:

Perm

Afghanistan is good, but Swa? C'mon, that's just weak. Tugga is pretty meh IMO, took me a little while to realise why it's a play on words. Besides, Macka was just having a laugh when he said 'wankers', and it was funny.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Dude....Shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.