• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock retires from International Cricket

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Just seen it on Sky Sports - Pollock retires from Tests after this current Tests, and ODIs after the ODIs against the West Indies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Please merge ASAP

Yes, Shaun Pollock's Test ongoing as of this post will be his last, and his last ODIs will be in the upcoming series.

:blink: Well I didn't see that coming. He evidently has decided he won't be around in 2011. Bit of a shame he won't be coming over here to play Tests tho.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Truely a gem of a bowler he was....in both forms of the game...right-handed sultan of swing.

Laurrz

International Debutant
legend... i feel saddened by this too..really nice guy and as a cricketer he was perfect for South Africa...a true warrior for them

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wivzimsa/content/current/story/330394.html

Treated like crap lately. During the India series, I was astonished he wasn't opening the bowling - he troubled us more than anyone else.

Fantastic bowler.
They made a conscious and definate decision in the Third Test against Australia in 2005\06 to demote Pollock from new-ball duties, and even though practically everyone expressed surprise practically every Test (at least, those which he played...) from that one onwards they shouldn't have - it was obvious that the decision had been taken and would not be reversed.

Be it Steyn or Nel, one of them was always going to take the new-ball ahead of him.

sideshowtim

Banned
Legend of the game. All-time great. Immensely likeable bloke, even as a biased one-eyed Aussie. I always enjoyed seeing him do well, and he did very well more often than not. He'll be a big loss to the South Africans, but also the cricketing world as more and more of our greats drop out day by day it seems.

What a player, what a guy.

Protean

State Regular
Sad, but not that unexpected. Hope he manages to pick up those 13 more wickets in the ODI's, be nice for him to end off with both 400s. He will be missed.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A superb cricketer and an outstanding ambassador, both for South Africa and for cricket as a whole. Certainly one of my most admired and respected players of the modern era, and clearly I'm not alone in this sentiment.

If only old Pete and his missus could spell names properly, he'd be even more gun.

garypleavin

Cricket Spectator
The only words I can use to describe how good Shaun Pollock was is hat he is a better bowler than his uncle is a batsman. A truly wonderful bowler.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Sad news indeed. A terrific bowler, a good batsman and a well respected man, on and off the field. I hope he does well in what remains of this final Test and in the ODIs, he deserves a great send-off after all he's done for the country. God bless ya, Shaun.

pup11

International Coach
Can't say i didn't see this coming, he was being treated like crap by the South African selectors and team-management and it was pathetic to see such a great player being disrespected like this.
Hope he finishes on a high note, he always came across a top bloke and great sportsman, anyways Shaun... you would be missed but not forgotten, thank you for entertaining us over all those years! :down:

Swervy

International Captain
The only words I can use to describe how good Shaun Pollock was is hat he is a better bowler than his uncle is a batsman. A truly wonderful bowler.
I think a lot of people who watched his uncle bat may argue with you on that one.

Yeah, great bowler at his best, still extremely good, intelligent bowler even when not at his best....and lets not forget his contribution with the bat!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
had an exceptional international career, superb bowler and very handy lower middle order batsman....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great player & a thoroughly nice bloke too. Has been treated rather shabbily of late by the selectors and my guess is that he was waiting for his recall so he could go out on his own terms rather than wait to be dropped again. A right he's earned, surely.

Pollock as a Kolpak this summer then?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock as a Kolpak this summer then?
Would be a good pickup for someone. How old would he be when he would qualify for England? :ph34r:

I think a lot of people who watched his uncle bat may argue with you on that one.
Yeah, I think most would certainly rate G over S Pollock. That doesnt detract from the fact he was a hell of a cricketer though

Last edited: