• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock retires from International Cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great player, will definitely be missed. Honestly to have him coming in at 8 (not just batting talent, but his ability to launch if needed and the added experience he brings) was such a luxury for South Africa.

As a bowler, what more needs to be said. I reckon he's the one bowler to trouble Tendulkar more than anyone I can remember.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I was truelly shocked by Shaun retiring and i hope best of luck....

Shaun was one of the best all rounders.2000-2008

All the best

Have a good life I miss you dearly :-O

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I was truelly shocked by Shaun retiring and i hope best of luck....

Shaun was one of the best all rounders.2000-2008

All the best

Have a good life I miss you dearly :-O
That's 1995 - 2008 :)

Got a nice send-off today, getting carried off the field by his teammates.

haroon510

International 12th Man
he was my only favorate player from SA team.. always giving his best. his performance decline since 2001 but outstanding player when he was at his best..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Legend. But at least the timing is right. Did not want to see Polly over stay his welcome like AD did and play for two seasons too many, only then to breakdown or be humbled when South Africa's hopes rest upon him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Two?

Donald stayed just 1 season too long. Though that has, sadly, placed a sizeable taint on his legacy, turning an average against Australia of 27 into 31. :@ Which has fooled most people who then assess him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well done Shaun, an absolute ornament not only to South African but also world cricket. As has been noted, consistently there or thereabouts as being one of the two or three best bowlers in the world for the majority of his long career, and a very good batsman as well. Someone here earlier said that he was South Africa's Hadlee, and I think that's only a very very slight exaggeration, especially if you consider the tougher conditions he had to bowl in in the second half of his career.

An all-time great, and definitely a legend of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pollock (with ball) is a little like Tendulkar in that - in his first 6 years, at least - he was so sensationally consistently superb that it was easy to miss the fact that far more of those performances than not completely changed his team's position. There was no "standout" either (well, there was, but the match ended in an unsatisfactory draw).

Also like Tendulkar, he has the handicap (performance-assessment wise) that he had someone else who could match the superlative nature of his performances. In Donald, in fact, he had someone who could better them; in first Azharuddin, then Dravid, Tendulkar had two people who could merely come somewhere near the same plain.

Players like this - Herbert Sutcliffe is another, and Kenny Barrington, and Everton Weekes - are almost always bound to get less credit than they deserve, at least from those who assess performance by the narrow-minded "matchwinner" criteria. Those who were obvious standouts amongst, if not mediocrity, then merely good - the Lillees, the Laras, the Pietersens for instance - are always going to get this credit for having the chance to, occasionally, completely alter the course of a match almost entirely by themselves. This is a chance denied those mostly surrounded by excellence.

And on the few occasions, between 2001\02 and 2006, when Pollock may have had those chances, he was not the bowler he had been in his heyday.

But rest assured, South Africa would almost certainly have done far, far worse without him in almost every single Test in the first 6 years of Pollock's career than they did with him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is a pretty harsh article. Interestingly criticises Pollocks proportion of top order wickets before going on to compare him unfavourably to Akram without mentioning Wasim has a far lower proportion of top order wickets. Whats good for the goose etc.

Its a little one-eyed but there are hints of truth in what is being said. He is just a little heavy handed in over emphasising his points, almost to the level where they lose context.

Langeveldt

Soutie
He isn't a particularly fashionable cricketer, I'd imagine Jacques Kallis will get a similar reception when he retires.. Great, but not raw enough to be the very best..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Seeing Kallis' stats like that make you realise that he's actually got stats that stand up very very well against a certain Gary Sobers. Obviously there's more to it than that, but still...