• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three New Elite Umpires

V Reddy

International Debutant
Good to see Hair,Simon and Billy getting selected. It will decrease the workload of the umpires now.

Three new umpires join elite

Umpire Bowden is one of the game's characters
The International Cricket Council has increased the size of the game's elite umpiring panel from eight to 11.
The extrovert Billy Bowden of New Zealand, plus Australian duo Darrell Hair and Simon Taufel, have been added to the elite group.

Hair is easily the most experienced of the trio, having stood in 44 Tests, compared to Bowden's three and Taufel's two.

Bowden is known for his unorthodox signalling methods, and has attracted something of a cult following.

He was part of the off-field umpiring team for the final between Australia and India.

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said: "There was always the provision to extend the number of umpires on the panel.

NEW ELITE UMPIRES
S Bucknor (WI)
A de Silva (Sri)
D Harper (Aus)
R Koertzen (SA)
D Orchard (SA)
D Shepherd (Eng)
R Tiffin (Zim)
B Bowden (NZ)
D Hair (Aus)
S Taufel (Aus)

"Having reviewed the first 12 months' workload and associated traveling commitments, we have decided to appoint three new officials.

"The ICC has been monitoring the performance of these three umpires on a regular basis, particularly during the World Cup, where each of them performed with distinction.

"Darrell Hair is a highly experienced umpire who was close to selection on the original Emirates Elite panel, while Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel at 40 and 32 respectively, represent the next generation of international umpires."

The elite panel of eight umpires and five match referees was established a year ago, and they officiate in all Test matches around the world.

It was envisaged that, on average, they would each stand in 12 Test matches and 15 one-day internationals per year, a potential on-field workload of 75 days.

But the demands of the job and the hectic fixture schedule has persuaded the ICC that extra umpires are required.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am a little worried about Billy being there. I think he had a great world cup but I think he is a long way off the class of some the umpires there. He has done a few of my games and he has been far from perfect.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Tamara said:
I am a little worried about Billy being there. I think he had a great world cup but I think he is a long way off the class of some the umpires there. He has done a few of my games and he has been far from perfect.
That may be true but don't forget that Umpires are human as well!

On the other hand, I am overjoyed to see my 2 mentors and good mates Simon and Darrell are there...I knew that Simon had a wonderful World Cup and this is very much the icing on the cake.

On the other hand, I won't be able to see Simon as much as I usually do due to the travelling and workload that he will have to deal with...I guess the good thing is that I have cable so I will be able to keep my eye on him!! :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is anyone else a little worried by the lack of sub-continent umpires here?

I mean to now have 3 from Australia but none from India or Pakistan is a tad unbalanced, and one would have to ask how these countries' umpires are going to get experience?

Where's Venkat?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Is anyone else a little worried by the lack of sub-continent umpires here?

I mean to now have 3 from Australia but none from India or Pakistan is a tad unbalanced, and one would have to ask how these countries' umpires are going to get experience?

Where's Venkat?
Don't think balance needs to come into the equation at all, but I will agree that Venkat's omission is a tad strange. He's always impressed the heck out of me (until the World Cup, when he made a couple of 'Aeroplane' decisions, but as Eyes says, they are only human).

Delighted with the new appointees. I thought a couple of years ago that Billy was just a showman, but he's more than a character - he is a fine umpire. Great to see Darryl Hair make it, and of course Simon is a friend of Cricket Web, so he was a certainty. ;)

V Reddy

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Don't think balance needs to come into the equation at all, but I will agree that Venkat's omission is a tad strange. He's always impressed the heck out of me (until the World Cup, when he made a couple of 'Aeroplane' decisions, but as Eyes says, they are only human).

Delighted with the new appointees. I thought a couple of years ago that Billy was just a showman, but he's more than a character - he is a fine umpire. Great to see Darryl Hair make it, and of course Simon is a friend of Cricket Web, so he was a certainty. ;)
I don't think that Venkat was removed as the list shows only 10 names but the article says 11 umps. Maybe they forgot about Venkat while writing the article. About Simon, he's got quite a number of fans including me strange for an umpire.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
No umpire was dropped from the elite panel.In this new anouncement from ICC, three more were added which makes the elite panel to be of 11 umpires now.So now the list of elite panel is -

Steve Bucknor, West Indies
Asoka De Silva, Sri Lanka
Daryl Harper, Australia
Rudi Koertzen, South Africa
Dave Orchard, South Africa
David Shepherd, England
Russell Tiffin, Zimbabwe
Srinivas Venkataraghavan, India
B Bowden, New Zealand
D Hair, Australia
S Taufel, Australia

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:

Venkat was never going to be dropped although I am still wondering how Tiffen and Orchard are still there!!

Glad to hear Simon is a "Friend of Cricket Web"...am quite sure he'll be very happy to hear that!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eyes_Only said:
Venkat was never going to be dropped although I am still wondering how Tiffen and Orchard are still there!!

Glad to hear Simon is a "Friend of Cricket Web"...am quite sure he'll be very happy to hear that!
Come on, Eyes... when are you going to interview him?

<quack> don't you have a duck who can do it?

Is he likely to be officiating in England this summer? If so, I'd love to meet up with him and do one

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
How did Tiffin keep his spot? He had a woeful series out in Australia last summer. That should have been enough to get rid of him.

I agree that more umpires were needed on the panel as it would be quite tiring with all the travel and concentration. At least the players get a break when they are not batting.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Come on, Eyes... when are you going to interview him?

<quack> don't you have a duck who can do it?

Is he likely to be officiating in England this summer? If so, I'd love to meet up with him and do one
Hopefully he'll be home around July and I can do it then. If not it will have to be in September when he'll be home for our Annual Convention