Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Three New Elite Umpires

Three New Elite Umpires

Good to see Hair,Simon and Billy getting selected. It will decrease the workload of the umpires now.

Three new umpires join elite

Umpire Bowden is one of the game's characters
    The International Cricket Council has increased the size of the game's elite umpiring panel from eight to 11.
    The extrovert Billy Bowden of New Zealand, plus Australian duo Darrell Hair and Simon Taufel, have been added to the elite group.

Hair is easily the most experienced of the trio, having stood in 44 Tests, compared to Bowden's three and Taufel's two.

Bowden is known for his unorthodox signalling methods, and has attracted something of a cult following.

He was part of the off-field umpiring team for the final between Australia and India.

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said: "There was always the provision to extend the number of umpires on the panel.

NEW ELITE UMPIRES
    S Bucknor (WI)
    A de Silva (Sri)
    D Harper (Aus)
    R Koertzen (SA)
    D Orchard (SA)
    D Shepherd (Eng)
    R Tiffin (Zim)
    B Bowden (NZ)
    D Hair (Aus)
    S Taufel (Aus)

"Having reviewed the first 12 months' workload and associated traveling commitments, we have decided to appoint three new officials.

"The ICC has been monitoring the performance of these three umpires on a regular basis, particularly during the World Cup, where each of them performed with distinction.

"Darrell Hair is a highly experienced umpire who was close to selection on the original Emirates Elite panel, while Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel at 40 and 32 respectively, represent the next generation of international umpires."

The elite panel of eight umpires and five match referees was established a year ago, and they officiate in all Test matches around the world.

It was envisaged that, on average, they would each stand in 12 Test matches and 15 one-day internationals per year, a potential on-field workload of 75 days.

But the demands of the job and the hectic fixture schedule has persuaded the ICC that extra umpires are required.

State Vice-Captain
    I am a little worried about Billy being there. I think he had a great world cup but I think he is a long way off the class of some the umpires there. He has done a few of my games and he has been far from perfect.

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tamara
    I am a little worried about Billy being there. I think he had a great world cup but I think he is a long way off the class of some the umpires there. He has done a few of my games and he has been far from perfect.
    That may be true but don't forget that Umpires are human as well!

On the other hand, I am overjoyed to see my 2 mentors and good mates Simon and Darrell are there...I knew that Simon had a wonderful World Cup and this is very much the icing on the cake.

On the other hand, I won't be able to see Simon as much as I usually do due to the travelling and workload that he will have to deal with...I guess the good thing is that I have cable so I will be able to keep my eye on him!! :P
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Is anyone else a little worried by the lack of sub-continent umpires here?

I mean to now have 3 from Australia but none from India or Pakistan is a tad unbalanced, and one would have to ask how these countries' umpires are going to get experience?

Where's Venkat?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Is anyone else a little worried by the lack of sub-continent umpires here?

I mean to now have 3 from Australia but none from India or Pakistan is a tad unbalanced, and one would have to ask how these countries' umpires are going to get experience?

Where's Venkat?
    Don't think balance needs to come into the equation at all, but I will agree that Venkat's omission is a tad strange. He's always impressed the heck out of me (until the World Cup, when he made a couple of 'Aeroplane' decisions, but as Eyes says, they are only human).

Delighted with the new appointees. I thought a couple of years ago that Billy was just a showman, but he's more than a character - he is a fine umpire. Great to see Darryl Hair make it, and of course Simon is a friend of Cricket Web, so he was a certainty.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Don't think balance needs to come into the equation at all, but I will agree that Venkat's omission is a tad strange. He's always impressed the heck out of me (until the World Cup, when he made a couple of 'Aeroplane' decisions, but as Eyes says, they are only human).

Delighted with the new appointees. I thought a couple of years ago that Billy was just a showman, but he's more than a character - he is a fine umpire. Great to see Darryl Hair make it, and of course Simon is a friend of Cricket Web, so he was a certainty.
    I don't think that Venkat was removed as the list shows only 10 names but the article says 11 umps. Maybe they forgot about Venkat while writing the article. About Simon, he's got quite a number of fans including me strange for an umpire.

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    No umpire was dropped from the elite panel.In this new anouncement from ICC, three more were added which makes the elite panel to be of 11 umpires now.So now the list of elite panel is -

Steve Bucknor, West Indies
    Asoka De Silva, Sri Lanka
    Daryl Harper, Australia
    Rudi Koertzen, South Africa
    Dave Orchard, South Africa
    David Shepherd, England
    Russell Tiffin, Zimbabwe
    Srinivas Venkataraghavan, India
    B Bowden, New Zealand
    D Hair, Australia
    S Taufel, Australia
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Venkat was never going to be dropped although I am still wondering how Tiffen and Orchard are still there!!

Glad to hear Simon is a "Friend of Cricket Web"...am quite sure he'll be very happy to hear that!

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Eyes_Only
    Venkat was never going to be dropped although I am still wondering how Tiffen and Orchard are still there!!

Glad to hear Simon is a "Friend of Cricket Web"...am quite sure he'll be very happy to hear that!
    Come on, Eyes... when are you going to interview him?

<quack> don't you have a duck who can do it?

Is he likely to be officiating in England this summer? If so, I'd love to meet up with him and do one

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Thank goodness Venkat's not gone - I've always liked him.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    How did Tiffin keep his spot? He had a woeful series out in Australia last summer. That should have been enough to get rid of him.

I agree that more umpires were needed on the panel as it would be quite tiring with all the travel and concentration. At least the players get a break when they are not batting.

Come on, Eyes... when are you going to interview him?

<quack> don't you have a duck who can do it?

Is he likely to be officiating in England this summer? If so, I'd love to meet up with him and do one
    Hopefully he'll be home around July and I can do it then. If not it will have to be in September when he'll be home for our Annual Convention

Thread Information