• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why not introduce twenty-twenty cricket for north america?

deira

Banned
I was thinking this, since cricket is not a popular sport in north america. why not then introduce the 20-20 version in North America. Surely this version of the game will attract attention from north americans who think cricket is boring. The best thing is they dont even have to be that talented in playing cricket. You just basically have to know how to hit the ball hard.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Watch who you're calling American there buddy.

Anyway, I think 20-20 probably is the way to go as far as popularizing the sport in America, as much as I loathe that form of the game.

Josh

International Regular
Watch who you're calling American there buddy.

Anyway, I think 20-20 probably is the way to go as far as popularizing the sport in America, as much as I loathe that form of the game.
I'd concur. I'm eager to see the skill level of players when I go over to play in the local leagues in 2009 :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It was introduced.

US Pro Cricket was played for a season. They said they had enough money for 3 seasons no matter what happened the first, but it never came back.

Poor attendance and poor TV coverage (I could be wrong but I think it was on a channel called DesiTV) made it a financial disaster.

Now, this was nearly 4 years ago. Maybe they were too early and its time to try again.

Lord Flasheart

Cricket Spectator
A better question would be why introduce cricket to America.

They already have baseball, football, basketball and dwarf tossing8-)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
WICB has control over the Americas according to what I read in the Patterson Report. Considering their track record don't expect them to help though.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Twenty20 cricket should be introduced all over the world to promote our game imo. It would mean a lot to the world scale.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't really just "introduce" cricket somewhere, though. It's a lot easier said than done. Unless the competition is professional, the standard will be horribly low, as will interest levels. And just inventing a professional league out of nothing would absurd amounts of money for an almost certain loss, at least for the first few years. It'd have to be heavily advertised, played at major sporting venues and telecast on a widely accessible channel, not to mention have decent players... all of which would cost far more than it'd be worth to an investor. Would it be worth it in the long run? Well, maybe, but probably not, so I doubt anyone will actually be pouring any money into it.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
A better question would be why introduce cricket to America.

They already have baseball, football, basketball and dwarf tossing8-)
Exactly, as if the US doesn't have its hands in other aspects of our lives - leave the cricket to us.

Twenty20 cricket should be introduced all over the world to promote our game imo. It would mean a lot to the world scale.
Cricket is spreading all right as it is and this is seen with the WC and the ICC (associate nations).