Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Best bowler

  1. #31
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    If that had been a List-A game it would have mattered from a personal standpoint - but it wasn't! It was a 12-a-side game - it was not a "proper" cricket match. Nothing that happened mattered in the slightest - including the result.
    It had about as much status as a club-third-XI (or XII, or X) friendly match, where two players don't turn-up for one team and the other "lends" one, making a 10-a-side-er.
    I really don't know why it's included in the "official" tour schedule, there's no provision in the Laws for 12-a-side games.
    So you think that coming out and bowling 8 wides in a warm-up match isn't an indication that there's something seriously wrong there somewhere with either action or approach?

    12 a side game or not, bowling 8 wides is not a good way to start a tour - and perhaps is indicative of the way Harmison continued on through the tour to the end. As a player, surely you'd be trying your best on all occasions, considering that at that level there's no real equivalent to the "Sunday Friendly". Players use any matches before the 'one's that matter' to establish some form, and I'm pretty sure Harmison wouldn't have walked away going "well, I bowled 8 wides and was generally all over the place, but it wasn't a Test so who cares".

  2. #32
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I really don't know why it's included in the "official" tour schedule, there's no provision in the Laws for 12-a-side games.
    you sound like a traffic warden more and more each day
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  3. #33
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    So you think that coming out and bowling 8 wides in a warm-up match isn't an indication that there's something seriously wrong there somewhere with either action or approach?

    12 a side game or not, bowling 8 wides is not a good way to start a tour - and perhaps is indicative of the way Harmison continued on through the tour to the end. As a player, surely you'd be trying your best on all occasions, considering that at that level there's no real equivalent to the "Sunday Friendly". Players use any matches before the 'one's that matter' to establish some form, and I'm pretty sure Harmison wouldn't have walked away going "well, I bowled 8 wides and was generally all over the place, but it wasn't a Test so who cares".
    i agree...Harmison would have been doing his damnedest(spelling??doesnt look right that) to be hitting the spot in that game no doubt about it..as all bowlers will whether they are in the nets or playing in a test

    No it didnt really matter in the whole scheme of things..as it wasnt a first class game or whatever...but at the time Harison would have been trying to get it right, the fact he didnt meant something was wrong,

  4. #34
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Basically, the match was an extended net-session and proved about as much as one proves.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #35
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Didn't he whack his head rather hard on an ad-board before bowling those wides?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #36
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    That does ring a bell now you mention it, though we might be getting it mixed-up with something else.
    More mitigation if so.

  7. #37
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Didn't he whack his head rather hard on an ad-board before bowling those wides?
    I had to read that twice as a pair of words leapt out at me there....

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    I had to read that twice as a pair of words leapt out at me there....
    Don't for the life of me know what you're talking about...

  9. #39
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    girlish giggle - not unlike 'titter' but of the opposite gender.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  10. #40
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Basically, the match was an extended net-session and proved about as much as one proves.
    because you can be bowling well in the game, and then turn around and bowl absolute crap in the nets - or vice versa? I'd suspect that elite players would be looking for a greater level of consistency.....

  11. #41
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    because you can be bowling well in the game, and then turn around and bowl absolute crap in the nets - or vice versa? I'd suspect that elite players would be looking for a greater level of consistency.....
    Or bowling dross in the first innings and be a world-beater in the second *cough*caddick*cough* - or be unable to bowl uphill/downhill/with the wind/ against the wind etc etc etc. It happens.

  12. #42
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,608
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Or bowling dross in the first innings and be a world-beater in the second *cough*caddick*cough* - or be unable to bowl uphill/downhill/with the wind/ against the wind etc etc etc. It happens.
    Of course it does, but the suggestion that Harmison's form in that game would have been of no concern because it was not an official match I found slightly ridiculous. Form comes and goes, but I think 8 wides in a match would be a concern no matter what the status..........purely from a players own point of view - and it seemed to gel quite well with what he did for the rest of the tour!

    I doubt Harmison walked away going "just a muck around game, 8 wides, no concern there", you'd still be looking for continuity and rhythm - unless he was bowling leg-spin of course......

  13. #43
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    Of course it does, but the suggestion that Harmison's form in that game would have been of no concern because it was not an official match I found slightly ridiculous. Form comes and goes, but I think 8 wides in a match would be a concern no matter what the status..........purely from a players own point of view - and it seemed to gel quite well with what he did for the rest of the tour!

    I doubt Harmison walked away going "just a muck around game, 8 wides, no concern there", you'd still be looking for continuity and rhythm - unless he was bowling leg-spin of course......
    yeah at the time, there was a major concern about Harmison.

    its alright Richard using his greatest tool, hindsight, to say it didnt matter,but at the time it did.

  14. #44
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    I doubt Harmison walked away going "just a muck around game, 8 wides, no concern there", you'd still be looking for continuity and rhythm - unless he was bowling leg-spin of course......
    Absolutely - as someone who was trying to establish himself in the side, he would have been trying his guts out.

  15. #45
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Another thing - the rules applied in that game would have been similar to a List-A game.
    16 wides in 7 overs (IIRC) isn't anything to do with possibilities in First-Class-cricket. In fact, his spearing the ball down leg actually helped him in the Test-series because that's the one ball it's almost impossible to score off, no matter how good you are. It meant he was more economical than (I think) anyone else.
    Harmison in that game mattered no more than Harmison in the nets - you can learn the same thing from it, and it mattered equally little.
    Except, of course, for the fact that nets and irrelevant games are a pointer as to how you're bowling - and therefore how you're going to bowl in a match.
    But just because this happened to be something that made his leg-side problems more noticable to a wider audience, it didn't tell those who mattered very much at all.
    Why you all think it mattered more than any net-session I don't know - it wasn't a match of status, so really it wasn't a match at all - it doesn't say anything about the "match-situation" (WRT potentially being different to nets).
    Last edited by Richard; 24-09-2004 at 10:35 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •