• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowler

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
because you can be bowling well in the game, and then turn around and bowl absolute crap in the nets - or vice versa? I'd suspect that elite players would be looking for a greater level of consistency.....
Or bowling dross in the first innings and be a world-beater in the second *cough*caddick*cough* - or be unable to bowl uphill/downhill/with the wind/ against the wind etc etc etc. It happens.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Or bowling dross in the first innings and be a world-beater in the second *cough*caddick*cough* - or be unable to bowl uphill/downhill/with the wind/ against the wind etc etc etc. It happens.
Of course it does, but the suggestion that Harmison's form in that game would have been of no concern because it was not an official match I found slightly ridiculous. Form comes and goes, but I think 8 wides in a match would be a concern no matter what the status..........purely from a players own point of view - and it seemed to gel quite well with what he did for the rest of the tour!

I doubt Harmison walked away going "just a muck around game, 8 wides, no concern there", you'd still be looking for continuity and rhythm - unless he was bowling leg-spin of course......

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Of course it does, but the suggestion that Harmison's form in that game would have been of no concern because it was not an official match I found slightly ridiculous. Form comes and goes, but I think 8 wides in a match would be a concern no matter what the status..........purely from a players own point of view - and it seemed to gel quite well with what he did for the rest of the tour!

I doubt Harmison walked away going "just a muck around game, 8 wides, no concern there", you'd still be looking for continuity and rhythm - unless he was bowling leg-spin of course......
yeah at the time, there was a major concern about Harmison.

its alright Richard using his greatest tool, hindsight, to say it didnt matter,but at the time it did.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
Absolutely - as someone who was trying to establish himself in the side, he would have been trying his guts out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Another thing - the rules applied in that game would have been similar to a List-A game.
16 wides in 7 overs (IIRC) isn't anything to do with possibilities in First-Class-cricket. In fact, his spearing the ball down leg actually helped him in the Test-series because that's the one ball it's almost impossible to score off, no matter how good you are. It meant he was more economical than (I think) anyone else.
Harmison in that game mattered no more than Harmison in the nets - you can learn the same thing from it, and it mattered equally little.
Except, of course, for the fact that nets and irrelevant games are a pointer as to how you're bowling - and therefore how you're going to bowl in a match.
But just because this happened to be something that made his leg-side problems more noticable to a wider audience, it didn't tell those who mattered very much at all.
Why you all think it mattered more than any net-session I don't know - it wasn't a match of status, so really it wasn't a match at all - it doesn't say anything about the "match-situation" (WRT potentially being different to nets).

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
;2847 said:
The best leg spinner is Shane Warne, without a doubt. Off spinner is Muttiah Muralitharan.
Pace bowlers are probably Glenn McGrath, and maybe Shaun Pollock.
Why is his profile like as it is?

pup11

International Coach
I think the best bowler is the one who adjusts his bowling according to the conditions and situations of the game. Atm, Pollock and bracken(barring his form in last 3 games) are the best odi bowlers, Murali and Clark(though needs to prove himself on sub-continent pitches) are the best test bowlers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the best bowler is the one who adjusts his bowling according to the conditions and situations of the game. Atm, Pollock and bracken(barring his form in last 3 games) are the best odi bowlers, Murali and Clark(though needs to prove himself on sub-continent pitches) are the best test bowlers.
You think Clark is a better test bowler than Ntini or Asif?:blink:

Matt79

Global Moderator
On current form, I'd say he'd go close - whether that form will be sustained over a period as long as Ntini's is obviously a different question...