• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowler

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No, because contrary to certain beliefs, players can improve.
And I've said otherwise...???
It's incredibly obvious to anyone that Harmison had become massively more accurate after that winter - though he didn't start taking Test wickets for a while after that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
I don't think he bowled wide deliberately due to the status of the match, but yes he has improved considerably.
I never suggested he did, just said the fact he did doesn't matter in the slightest - what matters is the wide-nightmare in the second half of The VB Series - because those games have some status and matter.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I never suggested he did, just said the fact he did doesn't matter in the slightest - what matters is the wide-nightmare in the second half of The VB Series - because those games have some status and matter.
True, to the team it is far more important that you bowl well in games that are of importance, but from a personal standpoint 8 wides isn't a good way to get off the mark in the first game of the tour.

I guess it just shows how much he has improved from being a 'little' wayward early on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
a very selective job made of editing the original comment.........
Now just wait there Possums (waves bunch of Gladdys).

The original comment was... (goies back and looks at comment)

Ah! (walks away quietly, whistling)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
True, to the team it is far more important that you bowl well in games that are of importance, but from a personal standpoint 8 wides isn't a good way to get off the mark in the first game of the tour.

I guess it just shows how much he has improved from being a 'little' wayward early on.
If that had been a List-A game it would have mattered from a personal standpoint - but it wasn't! It was a 12-a-side game - it was not a "proper" cricket match. Nothing that happened mattered in the slightest - including the result.
It had about as much status as a club-third-XI (or XII, or X) friendly match, where two players don't turn-up for one team and the other "lends" one, making a 10-a-side-er.
I really don't know why it's included in the "official" tour schedule, there's no provision in the Laws for 12-a-side games.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
If that had been a List-A game it would have mattered from a personal standpoint - but it wasn't! It was a 12-a-side game - it was not a "proper" cricket match. Nothing that happened mattered in the slightest - including the result.
It had about as much status as a club-third-XI (or XII, or X) friendly match, where two players don't turn-up for one team and the other "lends" one, making a 10-a-side-er.
I really don't know why it's included in the "official" tour schedule, there's no provision in the Laws for 12-a-side games.
So you think that coming out and bowling 8 wides in a warm-up match isn't an indication that there's something seriously wrong there somewhere with either action or approach?

12 a side game or not, bowling 8 wides is not a good way to start a tour - and perhaps is indicative of the way Harmison continued on through the tour to the end. As a player, surely you'd be trying your best on all occasions, considering that at that level there's no real equivalent to the "Sunday Friendly". Players use any matches before the 'one's that matter' to establish some form, and I'm pretty sure Harmison wouldn't have walked away going "well, I bowled 8 wides and was generally all over the place, but it wasn't a Test so who cares".

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
you sound like a traffic warden more and more each day :D

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
So you think that coming out and bowling 8 wides in a warm-up match isn't an indication that there's something seriously wrong there somewhere with either action or approach?

12 a side game or not, bowling 8 wides is not a good way to start a tour - and perhaps is indicative of the way Harmison continued on through the tour to the end. As a player, surely you'd be trying your best on all occasions, considering that at that level there's no real equivalent to the "Sunday Friendly". Players use any matches before the 'one's that matter' to establish some form, and I'm pretty sure Harmison wouldn't have walked away going "well, I bowled 8 wides and was generally all over the place, but it wasn't a Test so who cares".
i agree...Harmison would have been doing his damnedest(spelling??doesnt look right that) to be hitting the spot in that game no doubt about it..as all bowlers will whether they are in the nets or playing in a test

No it didnt really matter in the whole scheme of things..as it wasnt a first class game or whatever...but at the time Harison would have been trying to get it right, the fact he didnt meant something was wrong,

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Basically, the match was an extended net-session and proved about as much as one proves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That does ring a bell now you mention it, though we might be getting it mixed-up with something else.
More mitigation if so.

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Didn't he whack his head rather hard on an ad-board before bowling those wides?
I had to read that twice as a pair of words leapt out at me there.... :D

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Basically, the match was an extended net-session and proved about as much as one proves.
because you can be bowling well in the game, and then turn around and bowl absolute crap in the nets - or vice versa? I'd suspect that elite players would be looking for a greater level of consistency.....