• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim to Hampshire

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bit surprised there's no thread on this one yet - to me, it's a much better signing than Shoaib would've been!

I wonder as to why none of the counties approached Nehra? One of them were interested in Khan but it didn't work out, Nehra being one of the best pacer in world cup should have been a hot cake for the counties!

V Reddy

International Debutant
vandemataram said:
I wonder as to why none of the counties approached Nehra? One of them were interested in Khan but it didn't work out, Nehra being one of the best pacer in world cup should have been a hot cake for the counties!
Zaheer has wickettaking ability though. I would much prefer AA than Nehra in county cricket. Nehra doesn't swing the ball anymore and he didn't swing it in England too.I think he is more of a bowler who keeps the runs down. It would be a very very big risk taking him.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
lord_of_darkness said:
wasim to hampshire sounds like an alright move... thought he might be gettin a bit rusty nowadays
Its a good move, they have some young pacers and are expecting Akram to guide the youngsters .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vandemataram said:
They remembered his previous record in England, and also looked at his career as a whole I expect.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
And did he actually do that in the end?
Latif didn't. But Wasim has retired from International Cricket, that's why he's playing for Hampshire and wasn't considered for the Series taking place at the moment.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vandemataram said:
Look, the WC was one series, Nehra still has not done anything of note in Test Matches and I doubt any English county will pick a pace bowler just for their OD squad. Add the fact that Nehra had quite an appauling tour of England along with Zaheer and the rest of the Indian bowling and throw in that he's injured for 5 months and you will get the answer.

Please realise that he has to show he can keep performing like this rather than thinking that everyone will suddenly take a player with a (still) poor record in both forms of the game on the basis of one good series. In India he may be called the "Young Akram" but everywhere else he is still considered an average bowler.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vandemataram said:
Maybe it's because he's out injured for five months and no county is crazy enough to sign a player who wouldn't play a game until the last week of the season?!

Neil Pickup said:
Maybe it's because he's out injured for five months and no county is crazy enough to sign a player who wouldn't play a game until the last week of the season?!

Thats true, infact Nehra has a long history of injuries. I know Nehra only performed well before the World cup in patches but in the world cup he looked like a different bowler, not only did he surprised everyone with his pace, but also with the movement.

Rik said:

Please realise that he has to show he can keep performing like this rather than thinking that everyone will suddenly take a player with a (still) poor record in both forms of the game on the basis of one good series. In India he may be called the "Young Akram" but everywhere else he is still considered an average bowler.
Ironically it was Greg chappel that had first compared Nehra with Akram!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vandemataram said:
Thats true, infact Nehra has a long history of injuries. I know Nehra only performed well before the World cup in patches but in the world cup he looked like a different bowler, not only did he surprised everyone with his pace, but also with the movement.
He needs consistency though, and his figures so far certainly don't suggest he's had that yet.

masterblaster

International Captain
Oh......not this tripe about comparing Nehra to Akram!

Oh well, guess who was right?

I reported this thing about a month ago, only to be looked at in a funny way.

lol

:P :D :P