• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Team for Dhaka Announced!!!

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
Here it is:

S Ganguly(c)
V Sehwag(vc)
M Kaif
Yuvraj Singh
Dinesh Mongia
Abhijit Kale
Gautam Gambhir
Parthiv Patel(wk)
Ajit Aagarkar
Aavishkar Salvi
Harbhajan Singh
Amit Mishra
Sarandeep Singh
Zaheer Khan
S Bangar

Happy to see A Salvi and G Gambhir making into the side.A Mishra is a promising young leg spinner.A Kale gets his turn after a long wait and i think it is too late for him to become a force to reckon with.He is 30 years old but his record in the domestic competition is great.He avges 58 in fc and 46 in od.

People to miss out are I Pathan and A Chopra,a very promising opener with avg above 50 in both forms of the game and had a great tour of WI.A Rayadu also misses out due to the bad tour of WI.

I am also happy to see that T Yohanan,L Balaji and VVS Laxman are not recalled.Another thing to notice is that V Sehwag has been named the vice captain for the tournament.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
sounds true as expected , although i wished agarkar was rested and someone extra was given a go

Lets see what these players can provide !

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I would have liked to see Kaif as the vice-captain instead of Sehwag.He has an excellent track record as a captain of the junior teams earlier and has a lot of potential in that area and so it would have been logical to groom him for the job by making him the vice-capo.

V Reddy

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
OI!
Leave our hero alone!
There is a match tommorow in Hyderabad in which Agarkar is playing. But it is a played in a ground where there are absolutely no facilities for the spectators. So you have to stand all the time. Planning to see that match. I don't know whehter he will play in that match since he got selected. Parthiv Patel and A Kale are also expected to play . But Ajit will be fielding on the boundary as he is a bowler so there will be a slight chance to talk to him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Woah thats quite a few drastic changes, never heard of any of them..

Thought india were superb right through the WC.

Good to see that Laxman hasnt been recalled though..

krkode

State Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
sounds true as expected , although i wished agarkar was rested and someone extra was given a go

Lets see what these players can provide !
Rested? What's he done :(

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
PP has to play as he is the only keeper in the team... also I am not sure why Kale won't play....he has a first class average of around 59(although Indian first class averages are inflated) over the last ten years and so it may be nice to check him out in one of the matches, although he is not really young and is about Tendulkar's age

Salvi ..Two thumbs up!!

Pathan is a left hander, and we already have two fabuolous left armer pace bowlers in the team (though Nehra won't be playing in this tour).

Aavishkar Salvi is a sensational pacer, i think he will make an immediate impact.Some selectors wanted Salvi in the WC squad, but his inexperiance cost him the job.Salvi's main weapon is his yorker, when it comes to bowling yorkers, then noone does it better than Salvi( among Indian pacers).I'm safe to say that he's going to be a *star* in the future!

Gambhir's selection is justified, however i'm not too happy to see Sarandeep Singh in the squad, i would have gone for Karthik.As for Kale, if he comes good then he can be around for 3-4 years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would have liked to see Kaif as the vice-captain instead of Sehwag.He has an excellent track record as a captain of the junior teams earlier and has a lot of potential in that area and so it would have been logical to groom him for the job by making him the vice-capo.
You think? Sure he may have some leadership potential in terms of his under-age performances but he sure has a long way to go with the bat before he's considered a regular member of the side. Sehwag has the opener's spot sewn up for as long as he wants it I would imagine whereas Kaif is most certainly a fringe player. Sehwag only has two years on Kaif in terms of age but in terms of maturity, he's light-years ahead.

I keep saying it but Sehwag was SO very impressive in his WC final innings for many more reasons than his runs. In other innings I'd seen of his, he'd looked awfully good but in that one, well he looked more like Gavaskar than Sachin does these days. I've still got footage of Gavaskar's double ton against England which almost won India the game chasing over 400 years ago and some of the shots played by Sehwag in the WC final gave me chills, so much did they remind me of Gavaskar's innings.

So in short, I think Sehwag is a great choice as VC to Ganguly and would be a fantastic choice as captain even now, had Ganguly not had the job already.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Kaif is an average to ok player anyway.
At the start of the year he was averaging 50 in ODI's, he's now down to around 28, so reality has come home.
In the ODI's in NZ he buckled when they needed him the most and in the World Cup apart from the 1 innings against NZ he pretty much did the same thing so Sehwag is the right choice for me.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
You think? Sure he may have some leadership potential in terms of his under-age performances but he sure has a long way to go with the bat before he's considered a regular member of the side. Sehwag has the opener's spot sewn up for as long as he wants it I would imagine whereas Kaif is most certainly a fringe player. Sehwag only has two years on Kaif in terms of age but in terms of maturity, he's light-years ahead.
Kaif's batting is not as flashy as Sehwag's but he has shown signs of the grit that is necessary at times.And I agree that he needs to prove his batting credentials a lot more, which Sehwag has done quite a bit, but I don't see a captain in Sehwag yet.I can be proven wrong but Kaif looks to me to be the one with the better cricketing brain then Sehwag.

V Reddy

International Debutant
aussie_beater said:
PP has to play as he is the only keeper in the team... also I am not sure why Kale won't play....he has a first class average of around 59(although Indian first class averages are inflated) over the last ten years and so it may be nice to check him out in one of the matches, although he is not really young and is about Tendulkar's age
I was not talking about the Indian team , A_B. I was talking about a Duleep Trophy match in which AA is playing today. Marc, all three are playing now. But not feeling like going today , feeling lazy:yawn: as i have to go from from one end of the city to the other end. But will definately go, on one of the next three days.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Re: Salvi ..Two thumbs up!!

vandemataram said:
Pathan is a left hander, and we already have two fabuolous left armer pace bowlers in the team (though Nehra won't be playing in this tour).

Aavishkar Salvi is a sensational pacer, i think he will make an immediate impact.Some selectors wanted Salvi in the WC squad, but his inexperiance cost him the job.Salvi's main weapon is his yorker, when it comes to bowling yorkers, then noone does it better than Salvi( among Indian pacers).I'm safe to say that he's going to be a *star* in the future!

Just Because Pathan is another lefty doesn't mean that he shouldn't get a place in the squad.However i do agree that Avishkar was the deserving player.

Salvi has potential, he's more of a line and length pacer than just speed, i read an interview in which he had said that he has modelled himself after Glen McGrath.If he can be half as good as Glen then India would be highly fortunate!

Salvi has potential, he's more of a line and length pacer than just speed, i read an interview in which he had said that he has modelled himself after Glen McGrath
Didn't knew that!!

Funy isn't it?? all of a sudden India are discoving talented fast bowlers one after one!!!

Nehra~ Akram
Salvi ~ McGrath

JUst too good!